iPhone 6(S)(+) Going from a 6 to XR

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ravinder08, Nov 5, 2018.

1. ravinder08 macrumors 6502

my wife has just got me an iPhone XR as a birthday present. From the comments I’ve read is the screen quality really bad? If so would I be better off returning it?

2. austyn23 macrumors regular

austyn23

It's fine if you don't use it side by side with an iphone X or a +...

Go test it to a store before open it or open it if you have the 14 day period return opportunity in your location.

3. zx128k macrumors regular

zx128k

Really bad? No.

Great LCD screen? Yes.

Not sure what comments you’ve been reading.

4. vagos macrumors member

vagos

Quite the opposite. The screen of the XR is bright and vivid with great colors and detail. Don’t believe the comments. Most are by android fanboys.

5. ravinder08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Been reading comments in the iPhone XR forum

6. Gamer-Dad macrumors regular

Gamer-Dad

^^^ This cracks me up! If you had a 6, was there a problem with the screen? I have yet to see Apple produce a bad screen. Maybe not the highest specs, but on a 6.1" screen, its far better than a lot of the higher res screens on the market. The XR is a GREAT device. Even side by side with the X/XS/XS Max, there's little difference. Don't be fooled by what you read. Handle the device, use it, make your own conclusion. I had a X that I sold for the XS Max, that I sold for the XR. Don't regret it at all! Enjoy your birthday present...

7. Garemlin Suspended

Garemlin

Most of the comments are from spec chasers that live by what it is on paper. Not even giving it a chance to see in person. I have seen very few people who are not satisfied with the screen. There are some of course. But not as many as you would think by the people calling it a toy or comparing it to lower priced android devices with 1080p screens.

Let your eyes make the decision.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree the Xr has an amazing display and as far as LCD displays go it’s one of the best if not the best. It’s much better then the previous iPhones with LCD displays. That said I’ve compared it side by side with the X and Xs Max and their OLED displays are definitely better but the difference is not big enough to justify getting one of them instead based on the display alone. The Xr’s display is definitely better then the 7 Plus I had before.

9. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I own a XR and spent a good deal of time comparing its screen against a XS and Max. I was hard pressed to see a difference in text with my older eyes. I asked a 22-year old if she could, and she didn’t either.

To be fair, the lighting was in a store and bright, so it wasn’t the best place for video comparisons, but I’ve never watched a movie on a phone and don’t intend to start.

Frankly, I am very happy with this phone.

Enjoy your gift from your thoughtful wife.

10. bruce316 macrumors newbie

I went from the iPhone 6s to the XR. I think the display is excellent and the XR will be a nice upgrade for you.

11. chanerz macrumors 65816

Well it’s a nice upgrade but not top of the line. It’s a gift so enjoy.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

13. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I’ve used it side by side with an XS and it’s more than fine. It’s really good. Text on some apps like Safari is small but if you use Zoomed mode it’s same size as XS.

I truly don’t get the trashing comments. The XR screen, especially in regards to text clarity, is very good.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2018 ---
    I’m using an XR right now...I prefer the size of the XS but something about this XR.. I really like it.

14. Bladerunner99 macrumors member

I just went from 6 to an XR this weekend, long over due. It's nice to finally have phone that isn't slow so opening apps and the screen is great! Don't listen to the nitpickers about pixels and Oled Blacks..blah, blah blah, they need to get a life or laid! Get the phone and enjoy!

15. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I like the size of the XR, perhaps preferring it to the XS, but I agree with the “something about this XR” notion. For me, I think it’s the value of it. Having to spend $450 more for a comparable Max (which I’m sure I would have done) makes me appreciate what the XR brings to the table. It’s simply a very good phone regardless of price but especially for the money.

16. ferretex macrumors regular

ferretex

I did the move from a 6s and couldn’t be happier. The screen is just perfect for me. Sharp and vivid. iPhone XR PRODUCT RED 128GB. I love this phone!

17. pdp1 macrumors regular

I have a 6 and after playing with the Xr at the Apple store and comparing it to my 6, a 8, and a XS, I decided to upgrade to th Xr in the near future. You will not be disappointed with the screen AT ALL if you're coming from a 6, I can pretty much guarantee that. I think the size of the Xr and how comfortable you'll be holding it compared to the 6 would be much more of a concern for you. I suggest you goto a store and try for yourself to decide. Don't pay any attention to the numerous one line comments that say "720p pass..."

18. jtm77 macrumors newbie

I had a 6S. Handles the XS and the XS plus side by side at the apple store. Minimal difference. I should mention though since the iPhone 4 screen I’ve never felt iPhone screen resolution has been an issue

19. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

IMO XR screen is nearly as good as XS with very little to no difference even side by side. But XR has smaller text and that could be a problem for some I guess.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Is the screen quality bad? No. As matter fact, I think the screen quality is very good, it’s very comparable to the iPhone 8 . You might have those on a tech forum who say the screen quality is bad, but does the average consumer even know the differences in terms of resolution with the XR and iPhone models? Likely not. The XR display is more than sufficient for the average consumers expectations.

21. purged, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  22. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I think you will like the XR. I went from the 8 to the XR and think the screen looks great.

23. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

I went from mint gold 6S+ to Red 10R-very happy with the decision.

24. PBandJon macrumors newbie

Another here who came from a 6 straight to launch day XR: it’s amazing! The screen looks fantastic, better than my old 6 I think. I was wondering about the size, but now I can’t imagine going back. Love the speed, screen, camera and the monster battery. I never had 3D Touch, so I don’t miss it. You’ll be happy with it, promise! Did I mention the battery?

25. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I feel a little guilty, owning both an XR and an XS Max but each has its own quality. I've always been a 2 phone person - for the last year it was the 8 and the X. I miss the lightness of the 8 but appreciate the face ID and longer battery life of the XR. I can listen to 2 podcasts and the battery is still at 100%.

Over a 48 hour period from Thursday to today the charge went down from 100 to 51%, and I was using the phone quite a lot.