iPhone 6(S)(+) Going from a 6 to XR

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ravinder08, Nov 5, 2018.

1. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

From 6S+ for me and battery life and Face ID make it a keeper for 3 years.

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

The screen should be comparable to the iPhone 6, it has the same pixel density and IPS tech with dual domain pixels, and should have better color.

If you were happy with the quality of your iPhone 6 display you shouldn't worry about this one.

3. dckhouse macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2018 ---
    ??? If i use my iphone XR a lot it does not last 24 hrs. I have had 2 XRs same gb and color. Screen time exceeding 6-8 hrs will 100% result in need to charge. Xr is better than other iphones but comment about using a lot and only using 49% in 48 hours is inaccurate. Using alot = less than 8 hours even on xr. Dont believe any of these ridiculous claims. With 4-5 hrs of average screen time you will be charging every day or a little more.

4. ssledoux macrumors 68000

ssledoux

Using mine an average of 2 hrs 45 min a day (from my screen time widget), and I’m putting on charger every other night with around 10% left. That’s 5 1/2 hours’ use plus around 40 hours standby - not too shabby.

5. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

As much as I like everthing else about the Xr, you're statement that it's screen is much better than previous lcd screens on iphones is simply not true.

I have my Xr for over a week and I'm still on the fence whether I should return it and get an 8 plus. I like everything better on the Xr as compared to the 8 plus except for the screen clarity. My wife's 7 plus screen is just way nicer, especially with small print. And I do read a lot on my phone so screen clarity is very important to me. So far it's just the size of the plus that is holding me back. I still have a couple of days to decide.

6. purged, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

I do mean reading websites, not e-books. In side by side comparison, text is just more crisp on my wife's 7 plus.

8. Broadus, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018

Broadus macrumors 6502a

I would think a 401 ppi Plus would be a bit more crisp than a 326 ppi XR. I remember that sensation years ago comparing my 6s to a friend’s 6 Plus. However, it wasn’t a factor in my getting the 6s or now in getting the XR. Practicality, the difference is a nonissue when I am reading on my phone. I would prefer that the XR had been 401 ppi. There is enough positive about the phone that the ppi count is not a large factor.

I spent a good while comparing the XR to the XS and XS Max. While I preferred the OLED screens, it wasn’t a hundreds-dollars-more preference. It was a perhaps fifty-dollars-more preference. All things being equal, I prefer the size of the XR over the 8 Plus’s crisper screen. You may see it differently, and that’s your call and is justifiable. It’s great to have choices, though at times it can be hard to settle on a choice.

I will say, though, that had I a 7 Plus or 8 Plus, I probably would have waited another year or two to upgrade.

9. ravinder08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting comments let us know if you change it.

10. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

Nailed it! Exactly that is my dilemma. Size vs screenclarity. The size of the xr is perfect imo.

11. Ian.C macrumors regular

My thoughts are from personal experience of both the XR and XS Max which i own both of them

The XR is an amazing phone and the spec sheets are a bit misleading in everyday use, the liquid retina display is amazing and to be honest when they are side by side you really can't tell that much between them apart from the bezels being larger on the XR, but it soon becomes a distant memory after using the XR for a few days.

Yes the XS has an oled panel, and it looks amazing, i'm 48yrs old and my eyesight is no longer perfect with seeing the finer detail that the oled has to offer, and from 9-12" away they look very similar.... you really need to look at it with a certain coloured background/text to see the difference IMHO.

good luck with your decision, i'm still sat here with two phones and each day i change my mind which one im going to keep lol

One final point the XR has amazing battery life, i get half a day more than i do on my XS Max, probably due to the different screens requiring different levels of power...

12. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing that. I really like the Max but equally dislike the price. :) I wanted a phone with more than 64GB storage and, as you know, the 128GB XR is $799 (U.S.) and the 256GB Max is $1249. It's not a directly corresponding comparison, but that is Apple's doing in its storage options. 128GB is more than enough for me, and 256GB is overkill.

And so the decision came down to value and opportunity cost. For what I do with a smartphone, I would be spending $450 more for virtually the same experience. I preferred keeping that $450 instead of sending it to Cupertino.

13. ravinder08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like the XR is a no brainer plus for an extra £50 you can get the one with 128GB storage.

14. Vivian125 macrumors 6502

Vivian125

Not all android fangirls are rude. It is just only 70% of them. Thank God, only us IOS Users, Flagship phones like Samsung Galaxy User are Classy by nature and we dont care if people use cheap to midrange android phone.

15. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

I just bought the XS and think the XR looks just as good. The only reason I went for the XS was for the smaller size.

I came from an 8 plus. So far, the XS is a nice phone, but I have never had that wow moment about the screen. Both look excellent. The XR is a great choice. I am getting one for my wife today for her birthday. She wants a blue one. I think many of the negative comments are coming from people who don't even own the phone, but rather just looking at the specs and passing judgement.

Happy birthday. Enjoy.

16. apolloa macrumors G5

Their is nothing wrong with the screen, it’s actually pretty good, the XR is a very solid all round performer and costs significantly less then the XS range.

Use it and see if you like it yourself first but really really don’t worry about the screen, or listen tie anyone who ‘claims’ it’s rubbish and poor quality etc etc, True Tone works properly on the XR for one thing..

A major tech magazines opinion:

http://www.t3.com/features/5-reasons-you-should-buy-an-apple-iphone-xr

http://www.t3.com/reviews/apple-iphone-xr-review