Going naked after using the bumper for a month

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bakakage, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Bakakage macrumors 6502

I got the bumper after using the iphone naked for a week and liked the look and feel for it upon first impression, even though the rubber slightly turned me off a bit. I come across picturess of naked iphone sometimes through my web surfing endeavors and think to myself every single time on how much more sexier it looks naked with the stainless steel band and all.

Today I took it off and I decided the bumper wasn't worth having on as it makes the phone feel cheap in my hand including the rubber part of the bumper makes the phone look cheap as well. I might consider ordering a element vapor case since it is similar to the incase sliders i used to use on my 3GS but now without the thickness increasing backing. Although I need to see more some customer taken pictures of the first batch before taking the plunge. The grip of death isn't an issue for me since I never held the phone that way in the first place. Anyone feel the same?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm using a case as the way I hold my phone causes reception problems. The case solves that. In addition the naked iPhone feels slippery to me and my case helps that as well.

3. random person macrumors 6502a

How is the vapor like the slider? The vapor is just a sexy bumper with the option of a stick-on carbon plate for the back. It ie not at all like the slider.

I have one on order anyway!

4. Bakakage thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant that the vapor looked like it will have the same feel as the slider unlike the cheap feeling bumper, but without the added back that increases it's thickness. I really liked how the slider felt in my hand, sorry for not being specific. The new incase cases for the iphone look nice as well, which is why I'm waiting for real world pictures of both them before deciding which to pick.

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've always used a pouch or clipless sleeve to protect the phone when it's in my pocket. When I'm using it, I prefer it's natural look. Too bad my iPhone 4 has to wear a bumper to function properly. I'm eager for the next iPhone to be released. I doubt Apple will screw up twice.

6. marddin macrumors 6502

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

8. Bakakage thread starter macrumors 6502

Couple weeks then, jeez people complain over details no one cares about.

9. bobright macrumors 601

Well technically its been 24 days if you got it on launch, NOT a month.

10. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, and would not recommend using a bare iPhone 4. Unless you have a nice cash reserve for "what if" moments.

12. Bakakage thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope.

13. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I went with a Speck case instead of a bumper, mainly because it protects the edges and the back, plus a rubber case helps ensure the device remains in my hand, and minimizes the chances it does a swan dive to the ground.

14. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Meh, no case needed if careful with it and don't throw it around roughly :cool:

15. StevenJobs macrumors newbie

The Vapor looks amazing. Doesn't take too much away from the phone either.

16. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing, but I took it off after less than 10 days. I liked it at first, but not seeing that stainless steel band ruins the design IMO.

17. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I went for the Incipio Feather and love it. I had their case for my 3GS as well. Its easy to put and take out of pocket.

18. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I feel the same way actually. Got a black bumper and took it off after a few days just because it made the phone look and feel cheap. My antenna problems are not nearly severe enough to where a bumper is a must. However I do plan on getting a free white one next week if they're available because I think that may actually enhance the look of the black ip4

19. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

They should call their case "Faraday Cage" :D

20. fender57 macrumors 6502

I like going naked once in awhile but I feel it is a bit slippery, so in general I use a bumper, it's easier to handle and setting it down I don't have to worry about it sliding. But I do like it naked and will forgo the bumper occassionally.

21. dewdst macrumors member

im so with you dude, its sexy naked, just have to be so careful. Everytime i get out of my car i like put my hand on phone so it doesnt slip out cargo-shorts lol

22. hipvamore macrumors regular

def very sexy naked. i get scared when it is though. one wrong drop and bam. you're done for

23. firewater macrumors regular

zagg invisible shield works the best, covers the front screen an also the beck :)

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

For the first time today since launch, I decided to take the bumper off. It was on very tight, so it was a struggle to take it out. Luckily, no scratches on the steel band.

I might be among the minority who thinks the iPhone 4 with the bumper actually looks better! But it is probably because I am not used to it "naked" yet. I got used to the fatter iPhone 2G that the 4 looked a bit anorexic to me when the bumper was off. Also, my homescreen background reflects beautifully with a black bumper. Perhaps in time, I will get used to my iP4 caseless.

Reasons why I took it off today was because I have been playing alot of games and watching videos as of late and wanted a feeling of a flat back to rest nicely in the palm of my hand. The bumper feels weird holding it in landscape mode after awhile. I did another deathgrip test and got my bars to drop from 5 to 3. I still haven't dropped a call yet since I got it, but only because of the bumper being on it for the last 33 straight days. Since it is naked now, I can test out my reception even further.

I am going to rock my iP4 naked until my PixelSkin HD gets delivered to me around Labor Day week. I also don't want to put the bumper back on and then have the struggle to take it back off when the other case comes in. Don't want to leave scratches on that steel band either. Don't get me wrong. Love the look of the bumper. It is just starting to feel uncomfortable because the back isn't flush when I'm playing hours and hours of Angry Birds and Plants vs Zombies in landscape mode.