Going Palm-->Touch: What will I miss??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Phrasikleia, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

This question is aimed at former Palm PDA users who now own an iPod Touch.

I'd really like to replace my aged Palm PDA and ancient iPod with a single device. I use the Palm PDA a lot, but it has major digitizer drift issues (my third device to suffer from this problem), and I'm about ready to do really nasty things to it. But is there really anything better?? Would the Touch be an adequate replacement? I just went to a store that sells them, and one of the employees told me, "The Touch isn't really a PDA and never will be; it's really just an entertainment device."

Well, I've looked in the app store, and most of the apps I use regularly now have equivalents available for the Touch, with the notable exception of a MS Word editor that can sync Word files back and forth.

So I'm wondering: what (unwelcome) surprises might be in store for me as a Palm PDA user switching over to the Touch? I realize that there is no way to copy and paste (incredible!) so I'll miss that a lot. Anything else? For example, is there anything about syncing or accompanying desktop software that might let me down?

Thanks for reading!

2. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

While I don't wish to be wrong on this, iirc I distinctly recall someone making note of some Palm-emulator floating around for jailbroken iPts that basically allowed you to use pretty much every Palm application ever created. I could be wrong, of course, but... I hope not.

Perhaps someone else out there has more info as I'm about to make an iPt 2G purchase myself soon and my Wife does have a few Palm and even PocketPC apps she's loved over the years. Would be cool to be able to have them remain functional even if it's inside an emulator on the iPt.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Your connectivity options will be severely limited with wireless and wired connections. The Palm OS has a much more productive background in terms of applications and capabilities. Syncing personal data is also a lot more difficult and inconvenient compared to Palm Desktop, but it works somewhat alright through iTunes.

4. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Could you be more specific about the difficulties and inconveniences? Any examples?

I see there is an app called Air Sharing that allows the Touch to mount as a wireless drive. I suppose that would help with getting files back and forth. And I guess mobileme can allow Touch users to circumvent iTunes for syncing personal data (for a price). However, I don't even really understand how notes, contacts, and calendar info gets synced through iTunes, since I don't yet have an IPT, so it's difficult for me to judge what might be annoying or difficult and to what extent these apps help.

5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I had a palm PDA from 2004, and I had an iPod Nano from 2006.

Both are gone now. And I am VERY glad the Palm is gone. It was an awful device always needing some fidgeting to link up files, and half the programs seemed to stall or crash along the line.

I've had the touch for two weeks and it works well. One or two of my 100 apps crash out and return me to the main screen every so often, but all my contacts, calendars, internet, chat, study, notes, etc. are fine.

The ONLY thing I miss from Palm is the handwriting detection, which I haven't yet tried to discover with the iPT. Supposedly it is there somewhere.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, if you used Outlook or Palm Desktop, there's a very streamlined process through those two programs where the same program syncs the data and stores it. Also, you won't be able to attach anything through bluetooth, wifi, or the dock connector as there were options for such things in Palm OS. The iPhone platform is kinda stuck in Apple's box and cannot go anywhere without the execs waving their wands. Palm OS is much more developed with a wider range of applications for now.

All data gets synced to the phone through iTunes as it accesses the data off of other programs. Notes still don't get synced and they just remain on the device. Air Sharing can be pretty useful for viewing small documents, but the device itself has a lot of trouble handling large spreadsheets, pdfs, et al. You also cannot edit them at the current time.

7. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Many thanks. This is very helpful information. I'm shocked to hear that notes can't even sync. Shocked and very sad, since my Palm is close to useless with its severe drift problems, and I'm quite fed up with trying to fix or replace it, since all of my efforts have been in vain.

8. robby818 macrumors 6502a

The calendar functions are still weak on the ipod touch. It's a little too basic and you will find that some options which were so easy to do on the Palm simply can't be done on the touch. The month view is pretty useless and dangerous (if you have too many events on a day, they run off the screen and you won't see them unless you scroll down), I used to love that view on my E2, just tap on each dot and see the event.

If Apple just put some time into improving the calendar app then I'd be really happy using the touch as a PDA.

9. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

If the Touch can't even sync notes, what does it do with data files produced by the various apps on it? The Palm backs up everything so that nothing can ever get lost, not even data files. If one's iPod Touch gets lost, are all the data files lost too?

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

You can't actually "produce" much on the touch.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I believe there are 3rd party apps that allow you to sync or transfer notes.

What are the most important things you do on your Palm? That would help out a lot in terms of giving advice.

I've used both extensively so am very familiar with both platforms. But people use PDA's in so many different ways, some of which are possible or even better on a iPod Touch, but some of which are currently not possible on a Touch.

12. liferules macrumors member

I just went from a T3 Palm to the iPod Touch. I have been pretty limited in my ability to use routine applications that I used daily on the Palm. I have lots of memo's that I use and there is no way for them to be sync'd on the touch as far as I can see. Air Sharing allows you to sync but cannot open as far as I can tell. Also, I used the palm to dictate often and would send the .wav file to my secretary for digital transcription. You cannot yet do that with the touch.

Sync'ing the calendar and contacts is labor intensive as you have to 1st get your palm to again sync with Outlook then have it sync with the itunes. I finally did that and then have outlook sync with google calendar, which I am now using as my main calendar. Overall, it is not easy and there are still a lot of apps that need to be made for the touch to make it a good pda. I hope Apple allows these apps to be created. There have been lots of comments about them being very strict about which apps they feel reflect their agenda and hope they don't deny good PDA type apps...

13. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Good question. Here's what comes to mind (in no particular order):

1) Dictionaries. I use my Palm's substantial dictionary apps for language reference while researching or traveling. (It looks as though those same apps are available for the Touch.)

2) Expense tracking/budgeting. I want to be able to record purchases I make as I make them in order to track my expenses. I don't necessarily need a desktop component for this purpose, but I wouldn't ever want to lose my data.

3) Lists. I make lists for all sorts of things (groceries, packing, writing ideas, etc.) and like being able to edit them on either my desktop or my PDA, so this does mean back-and-forth editing of synced files.

4) Contacts. I need them synced between the desktop and the PDA.

5) Calendar. I don't micromanage my days, but I do like having events in my calendar as reminders. I might have 10-15 items per month that end up on my Palm Calendar. Some of these are recurring events (meetings, garbage night, etc.). I need to sync these between the desktop and the PDA.

6) Text entry. I know I'm out of luck here. I have a portable, foldable Palm keyboard that turns my PDA into a wonderfully small laptop on which I can type about 60-70wpm. I create documents in WordSmith on the Palm and get editable RTF documents out of them when I sync. I mostly make (rather lengthy) notes on the Palm (while researching or attending lectures) and edit on the desktop, so I'm not doing a bunch of back-and-forth editing (unlike with the lists, no.3, above).

Those are what come to mind as potential problem areas. The other little apps I use should be quite the same on the Touch (BART schedule, Timer, Calculator, Converters, etc.)

14. YodaEXE macrumors member

I think you're going to be out of luck on most of those. Your big issue is that I do not believe the Touch backs up app data. Meaning, things like notes and such are not backed up to the PC. I would highly recommend that you don't get rid of your PDA.

15. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Darn. I was really hoping I'd get a bunch of posts from people who were thrilled to have ditched Palm for their Touch. Sounds like the Touch isn't quite there yet. I hope things change soon.

16. POWERCOM macrumors member

POWERCOM

PALM ≠ iPod touch

Stick with your PALM.

17. ukitali macrumors newbie

Yah, the ipod touch is nowhere near being a blackberry or palm or any type of pda. It has some great features but they are much more entertainment based rather than business based. I really hope the Touch does not go in that direction because I prefer to keep music/videos, games etc. separate from work/business/organizational stuff. I think it would be interesting though if Apple created something more suited for people looking for a mini-computer rather than a super ipod.

18. reidjr macrumors member

LIke it or not the touch is very close to beeing a pda.

19. Tosser macrumors 68030

You can wish all you want, but a PDA and a touch has very little in common besides screen size.

Edit: Come to think of it, I would like to hear WHY you think that the touch is close to a pda. I mean exactly the reasons. Then I will post my reasons as to why it CAN'T be considered one. Then we can compare notes.

20. reidjr macrumors member

OK here we go

Push Techology
    Applactions that are geared to the buniness person
    Web Browser
    Notes
    Contacts
    Calender

I did not say it was one it is close to one.Will it ever replace a pda no but its a nice addition.

21. liferules macrumors member

Yeah, I agree, I wish Apple would create a touch geared towards business PDA users. They would have a good market of people who like the ease of use of the touch and complimented with the Palm-type apps, it could really sell well to the non-entertainment crowd of users...

22. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Palm is dying a slow, painful death.

I've owned Palm and PPC's in the past (specifically Zire 71, Dell Axim x50v). None of them compare to the functionality of the iPod touch/iPhone - particularly in the domain of web browsing. Pocket informant on PPC is more advanced than iCal on iPod touch, but I believe pocket informant is coming to iPod touch anyway. As a multimedia device, iPt smokes away the competition. The iPt has calendars, contacts, notes, and all the stuff you would want. No stylus either!

23. Tosser macrumors 68030

LOL, okay. :)

Granted, although smartphones have that as well.

Which applications?

Nope. A web browser is neat and great and all, but that doesn't even begin to resemble a PDA.

Wait, so you can type notes and have them sync to your computer and vice versa? Send them through, say, BT, to someone or vice versa? Oh, nope. None of that.

See above.
    LOL, the calender lacks so many things before it can be thought of as being close to what functionality a PDA represents. Have you taken a look at some of the calenders available for Palm and Pocket PCs?

I know what you said. I just thoroughly disagree. Just because some of the features resemble features found in pda's doesn't make it "close to a pda".

For starters – you'll be judge to say if it's even close to these things that are all standard on PDAs:
    connecting an external keyboard? Nope.
    connect any other input device? Nope.
    connecting the thing to a phone (tethering)? Nope.
    drag and drop documents to and from the thing? Nope.
    disk mode to be able to do the above? Nope.
    ability to read a wide variety of documents and, say, ebooks? Nope.
    ability to edit a wide variety of documents? Nope.
    Expansion slots – as in SDIO and CFIO? Nope.
    ability to send and receive vcards? Nope.
    ability to use a proper task manager? Nope.
    ability to listen to an audio file that hasn't been "installed" through a propriatory app like iTunes? Nope.
    Ability to FTP? Nope.
    ability to copy/paste? Nope.

There are many more, and I just went and found this, just to give you a little cold hard facts. It's worth reading through. You will notice how few of those things are present in the touch:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/meet/version-compare.mspx

(oh, and ignore the row with "no touch screen" – all pda's that I know of have touch screens).

24. Tosser macrumors 68030

So not even having the option of a stylus is a good thing?
    Anyway, you said it, the iPt is multimedia device. In other words, it's an "entertainment device", a PMP. Not a PDA - not even close.

25. BucketsTouch macrumors newbie

Yup don't use my Dell x30h at all any more ;)
    Mark