Going to buy on Launch question.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Redrum509, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Redrum509 macrumors regular

Sorry if this has been asked before. I plan on getting the Ipad 3 on launch day. I have heard and read on here that when the ipad 2 launched it sold out pretty quickly. Now my hope is to either pre-order and buy at my local apple store but if that does not happen I was wondering will places like Best Buy and Wal-mart (yes Wal-mart lol) have a huge supply? I know no one knows yet but any guesses? Thanks

2. M87 macrumors 65816

It depends. I went to Wal-Mart last year. The one I went to received a pretty big shipment considering I live in the middle of nowhere. From what I could tell they had at least a couple of every configuration. I was first in line and got exactly what I wanted, a white 64GB/Verizon. I was surprised, I thought they might only get 16GB or something.

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I recommend reading other threads on this topic, there have been lots of stories of personal experiences and I'm not sure how many times people will be willing to retype them out. Fr instance, I don't feel like retyping mine but I'll just say there were no preorders, the Target launch was a huge fiasco, and I wound up putting in a reservation for my Best Buy's first post-launch shipment and getting one in a week. All of these places sold out on launch day and people were trading info for weeks trying to find one anywhere.

4. Redrum509 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright cool. I guess I'll just try and pre-order on Apple and hope for the best.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the best route is to pre-order/order on the online Apple store as soon as you can -- and then try to get it at the brick and mortar Apple store as well.

If you succeed in buying one at a store you can then cancel your online order. If your online order happens to ship after you come home with your iPad then just return one--or sell it for a profit on craigslist. :)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Pre-order form Apple on day 1...Always have and always will...I'm totally allergic to any form of standing in line...:)

7. Neous macrumors member

Neous

just keep in mind that iPad2 was not available for pre order or reserve, so one had to stand/sit inline in order to get on "launch Day".

8. Karr271 macrumors regular

Walmart and best buy stores received very few iPads. I've heard of target stores receiving 5 iPads. The safe bet is an apple store. They will have a larger stock than other stores.

9. Redrum509 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply's. I will try my best to get it at the apple store. Hopefully I can get my hand on one.Sold my ipad 2 back in January and have been patiently waiting ever since.

10. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Pre order. Unless you have fun sleeping with unknown people around of course.

As a side note, this is funny. We don't know anything about the product and yet people are ready to prepare to get one. I guess this is what society can produce in some people.

11. Redrum509 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I guess I may a little to excited lol. This will be my first Apple product that I will be buying on launch and just wanted to cover everything. :D

12. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

from my experience with the 4S, i was safe getting there about 4 hours early. They still had all models in stock, and i was about 40th in line. Assuming you go to a relatively big outlet, they should have several hundred in stock :)
    if you're not keen on getting there that early, just pre order as soon as it becomes available.

personally, i think apple product launches are pretty dam fun :)

13. Redrum509 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea this Apple store is fairly new about a year old. It is located right smack downtown near a shopping center. When the store launched there was a line 1 block long which was huge for a retail store grand opening lol. I live In Spokane Washington so not too big of a city. I can't picture them selling out here but I am probably wrong.

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

In light of the weeks-long fiasco that occurred when the ipad2 was launched, with resellers dominating the lines, I would hope that Apple would come up with a better plan this time around. They'll have to forego some of the media attention generated by their no-preorder plan, but I'm sure they'll still get plenty of press anyway. There's no reason they couldn't just have all sales done online with in-store pickup.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

Is it safe to say Apple is the one responsible for glamourizing the whole "line camping" thing?

I remember back before "Black Friday" became such a huge event then many stores didn't want you camping so they'd pass out tickets and let you go back to your warm car and come in at store open. And then came Apple... They've done an amazing job at turning "loitering" into a marketing tool and got the media to turn a product launch into an "event".

Im fine with waiting in line at 4AM but please don't repeat last year and make us wait until a false 5PM launch time when the product is already in stock. It just seems mean. (Especially since last year someone paid 3 homeless guys to be placeholders for the 8hr wait).

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't think so. Queuing up before Black Friday has been going on since well before the 2007 iPhone launch, and I don't recall there being much of any queuing in front of Apple stores prior to the iphone/ipad era.

Not that Apple hasn't milked it for all it's worth, but unless there's a time machine in Cupertino they're not responsible for it.

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

All I can say is be prepared to get there early.. I got in line at 10AM for the 5PM launch and was 9th in line. I was the last person to get an AT&T64GB Black. So they only got like 4 or 5 of that particular model. There were over 1000 people waiting in line once 5PM hit.

18. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

in glad that in europe the hype isnt that strong. When i got the ipad2, i got it as first, i was the first in line. But in the netherlands, the stores opened at 10am but the ipad's would be sold from 5pm. Apple told that to the resellers here. I was there at 8am, and the second in line came at 11am.

If i really had to, i would be sleeping one night. but again im glad the hype isnt THAT strong here.

19. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

20. Redrum509 thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to ask earlier but does Apple offer In store pre-ordering? or is It online only? Thanks.

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

@AppleWarMachine: Why are you suggesting doing something that was not possible to do last year?