Going to college, Macbook or new imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bucnawesome, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Bucnawesome macrumors newbie

I'm going to college for Graphic design and I was wondering because many of my classes are on Macs anyways in labs or in art classrooms, should I get a notebook or a more powerful iMac to keep in my dorm?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

depends on how intense the classes are...
    i vote iMac and get an external HDD so you can go back and forth.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Macbook, so you can take it with you when going home for break, when going to the library, when going to class, when going to work on something at the computer lab, and when you feel like working in bed.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I think portability is key. Macbook, definitely.

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Macbook with a good external display for when you're doing design work.

6. Cubs macrumors newbie

7. ajchapinjr.com macrumors member

To be honest...I'm a business major, and got a MacBook before I went to school.

I use it a lot, I bring it to classes, etc.

My roommate, who is a graphic design major, has both an iMac and a MacBook--and his MB never gets any use at all. When he goes to (graphics) classes, they are almost always held in Mac Labs, so there is no need to bring an additional computer... and when he's back in the room, he enjoys having a large display like on the iMac.

Assuming that your graphics design program is similar (and they should be), I'd strongly consider just getting an iMac with a nice big (4-8GB?) USB thumb drive to move things from your labs to your iMac.

8. Say What?? macrumors member

my brother bought a desktop for college, before the end of his freshman year he gave us the desktop and laptop. My step sister bought a desktop and regrets it completly. From my experience, laptops are the best decision for college. I would consider a macbook pro though.

9. Crossbone macrumors regular

Ditto. A Desktop And Notebook The MacBook Pro is. :apple:

10. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I'm doing Architecture, and I have a MacBook (although i should've gotten the MacBook Pro like my mate did).

If your college uses macs, I'd get the iMac for home unless the labs are likely to be full when you need to use them.

My advise to any graphic student is to get a MacBook Pro, atm they are so awesome that they justify any amount of money spent on them.

11. NIPRING macrumors 6502

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You're not going to NEED the portability of a macbook, but it sure is nice. I'd definitely recommend a laptop.

13. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I would suggest a MacBook Pro. It can handle your design work and offer portability when needed.

14. greengeorge macrumors newbie

consider that with a macbook you can work your assignments anywhere you want or need eg. cafes, your friends place, your parents place, etc
    and if youre freelancing you can present and do your work on the spot

i had the same dillema, ended up with an mbp,

though a macbook by my experience is perfectly adequate for graphic work, although you might hit a wall when it comes to editing HUGE files eg. 300dpi oversized posters, complex vector illustrations, hundred page publication and such... but i imagine youre unlikely to do that kinda work in college,

get a mb and save the money for your next workhorse

i have a friend who went thru graphic design college with an iBook

15. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

depends what your university setting is like. do you see yourself spending a lot of time not at your place? do you want to work with a friend in their room? is there a library or lounge you will want to work in that isn't mac enabled with your design software (probably)? I'm guessing that at least one of these is true. i'd get a macbook pro, so that you have portability and the power to run design programs without a hitch.

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

IMO the MacBook is the better choice. Portability is a major plus.

17. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I would get a MacBook. I'm in high school now and I plan on going to college in a few years and I would had loved to get an iMac, but I knew going into college that would be a bad idea. Once I'm done with school I'm getting an iMac unless whatever job I get needs portability.

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I Assume you mean a 24" iMac therefore I would find out how much more the other one would cost because if go the MacBook route you are going to need an external display the Internal is not very good.

19. Bucnawesome thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I was really loving the 24 inch extreme imac, but after what's been said about portability it seems the macbook pro's the preferred option. I dunno how well does it handle the colors and sizes of typical projects and stuff compared to the imac?

20. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Components for both machines are based on the same laptop hardware. The iMac can run a little hotter because there is more power and space for cooling. Otherwise, same family of processors, RAM, and chipsets.

21. remmy macrumors 6502a

When I did graphic design course a few years back I got myself a ibook. Most people had a ibook or powermac (I couldnt really afford one of those)

Found you need the portability for presenting work and quickly showing what you had been working on and the main work was done on the college computers which were either power macs or eMacs.

22. Bucnawesome thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty then, well it looks like portability wins out, another quick question about screens for the macbook pro, 15 or 17inch, matte or gloss?

23. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

15" Matte for accuracy and Portability or if you don't mind carrying a bigger one 17" High Res Matte.

24. Bucnawesome thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking on some of the other topics in the forum and a few posters said that the macbook pros were sluggish using illustrator, which is one of the primary programs i use and they are more expensive than the imacs, is it worth it for the portability?

25. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I don't see why imacs would run better in illustrator.