Going to college, need to buy a macbook pro.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IdiotWithAGun, Apr 30, 2009.

  1. IdiotWithAGun macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2009
    Basic question is: Should I wait?

    I am going on a trip in the beginning of summer and would like a laptop to accompany me. I will be starting college in the summer after I return.

    I just need to know if I should wait to get one. I dont want to buy one then apple come out with some new groundbreaking macbook pro.
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    wait and really think if you need a mbp over a mb

    thats my advice so take it as you will
  3. macjram macrumors 6502a


    Dec 20, 2008
    The old saying if "you need it now, get it, if you don't then wait"

    haha just think about it, and if that doesn't work then umm isn't there a thread about some new mbp coming out in Q4 2009 or Q1 2010 or somesome idk
  4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Aug 27, 2008
    groundbreaking i doubt it will happen. possible minor bump. i would try to wait until the back to school pro starts and get a free ipod. if you already have one then sell it and it will make the mbp cheaper.
  5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

    Aug 13, 2008
    Kitchener, Ontario
    That is EXACTLY what I did, and look what I ended up with :D

    Truth is, after using my cousin's MBP for a while, carrying it everywhere, the 13" size is really something to appreciate. It's just so much better to carry all over the place with books and everything else.
  6. TheRekz macrumors regular

    Sep 3, 2008
    if you're really waiting for a major bump... then it won't be till at least 2010.. there'll be only some minor bumps when school starts... if you can wait.. maybe you should wait, just in case something comes up.. never know.
  7. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

    Apr 17, 2008
    some schools require computers. I was required to have a MBP. They weren't just saying that though, we were supposed to have a top of the line lenovo, but if we ran bootcamp we could use MBPs. MBs can't handle the 3d modeling and rendering programs, nor are they all supported on OS X yet. Please solidworks come to OS X. Alias is already making the trip. :)

    edit: wait, you wouldn't normally have a computer for this trip you really don't need it now and you never know what Apple will be doing this summer.
  8. IdiotWithAGun thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2009
    i mean $$ isnt a question for me. so i should wait? i mean i want a notebook that i can keep for a few years and not have to worry about. i dont relaly need it persay, but i am going on a trip this summer and would like a laptop to accompany me. I havent had a laptop b4 so this would be my first.
  9. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    errrrr i ran proE jut fine and dandy on my first gen mb in 2006 so im confused with your 3d modeling issue
  10. Sponsi macrumors member


    Apr 26, 2009
    Under Palm Trees
    If you're interested I have a MBP Aluminum (Unibody) for sale.

    PM me.
  11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    Agreed. Wait if you can.
  12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604


    Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Wait for the back to school promotion, it starts at the beginning of June, which is before most schools gets out.

Share This Page