Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnknownMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I don't remember seeing a definite answer to this but if I buy a 3GS tomorrow will they still offer me the unlimited data plan? If they try to stick me with the tiered rates, do I keep pushing the unlimited since its before the 7th?
And as far as returning the iPhone, can I return in and then pre-order the 4th Gen (when its available for pre-order obviously) and still get the subsidized price?

Thanks

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If you buy an iPhone tomorrow, which is the 6'th, you will be able to get the unlimited data plan, and be grandfathered in.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I wouldn't do it if I were you. Wait and get a '4G' with the 2GB plan and save a little bit.

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
Don't Have any friends with a 3g or 3gs?

Pop your sim into their phone, and call att and tell them you got a used iphone...

Pop your sim out, and use your old phone untill you get your own iphone.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

troop231 said:
I wouldn't do it if I were you. Wait and get a '4G' with the 2GB plan and save a little bit.

He would only be saving $5/month. I would get the unlimited plan while you still can, as the OP can always switch to the lower rate plan later on, when he knows what his data use is going to be.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

He would only be saving $5/month. I would get the unlimited plan while you still can, as the OP can always switch to the lower rate plan later on, when he knows what his data use is going to be.

Every little bit counts, and there's no reason to consume 2GB of 3G data, there's plenty of ATT hotspots around.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I don't remember seeing a definite answer to this but if I buy a 3GS tomorrow will they still offer me the unlimited data plan? If they try to stick me with the tiered rates, do I keep pushing the unlimited since its before the 7th?
And as far as returning the iPhone, can I return in and then pre-order the 4th Gen (when its available for pre-order obviously) and still get the subsidized price?

Thanks

If you REALLY think you NEED the unlimited plan then you should do it... But why not just buy the 3G outright so you save a little money at first (a lot of store still have them)... then you may return it, and use your upgrade to buy iPhone 4.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010

troop231 said:

Every little bit counts, and there's no reason to consume 2GB of 3G data, there's plenty of ATT hotspots around.

I agree, however, I have seen a lot of people posting that they consume more data than 2GB each month. Once you start on the lower plan, you can no longer get the unlimited plan, should your data use go above 2GB.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

I agree, however, I have seen a lot of people posting that they consume more data than 2GB each month. Once you start on the lower plan, you can no longer get the unlimited plan, should your data use go above 2GB.

If you stay with unlimited I'm sure they will eventually cap it to 5GB. Plus there's no option to tether with the old unlimited plan.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010

doubleatheman said:
Don't Have any friends with a 3g or 3gs?

Pop your sim into their phone, and call att and tell them you got a used iphone...

Pop your sim out, and use your old phone untill you get your own iphone.

Sorry, but this isn't going to work with AT&T, as they can always tell which phone you are using by the devices IMEI number. Once they see that the iPhone is no longer being used, they will remove the iPhone unlimited data plan as well. ;)

UnknownMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I am a huge internet browser and youtube watcher so there is no doubt I'll need unlimited but its always nice having the option to go back down.
I like the idea of buying the iPhone 3G outright and then just return it, so I won't have to worry about the whole "using the subsidized price" thing.
Anyone know how much the price of the 3G is unsub'ed?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I am a huge internet browser and youtube watcher so there is no doubt I'll need unlimited but its always nice having the option to go back down.
I like the idea of buying the iPhone 3G outright and then just return it, so I won't have to worry about the whole "using the subsidized price" thing.
Anyone know how much the price of the 3G is unsub'ed?

Restock fee is a pain.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
If you stay with unlimited I'm sure they will eventually cap it to 5GB. Plus there's no option to tether with the old unlimited plan.

troop, this is true as far as tethering goes, however, with the new data plans, 4GB is going to cost you $50/month, while the unlimited plan will give you one GB more each month even "if" AT&T did decide to CAP it at 5GB.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Is there a restocking fee if you are only doing an exchange? I have always returned phones in the past, without doing an exchange, so I am just curious. :)

Well I dunno, because they can't resell it as new if he returns it opened. So they will be loosing money on it. Someone has to pay.

UnknownMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Is there a restocking fee if you are only doing an exchange? I have always returned phones in the past, without doing an exchange, so I am just curious. :)

Yea this is really what I am wondering about. Do I pre-order the new iPhone and then return my old one on the day I pick it up? or do I need to return the iPhone the day I pre-order it? I don't mind going a few days without a phone but I was just wondering how that would work.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Yea this is really what I am wondering about. Do I pre-order the new iPhone and then return my old one on the day I pick it up? or do I need to return the iPhone the day I pre-order it? I don't mind going a few days without a phone but I was just wondering how that would work.

The restocking fee would only cost you 10% at the most, so even if you did have to pay it to do an exchange, it sounds to me like it would be worth it over a short period time, especially if you do consume more than 2GB a month. I am not sure how pre-ordering would go, as I have never had to do that before.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Yes but he would have to use his upgrade for that and it would just be easier to buy it outright, return for cash, and then use your upgrade.

This sounds like a great plan, and the OP won't have to worry about doing an exchange. Especially if the re-stocking fee is going to apply anyway.

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009

Jesus Troop just how do you know how he's going to utilize his data Mr ATT. He wouldn't have asked if he didn't at least consider he might need it. Fanboy much? :confused:

If you plan to consume lots of heavy data like youtube, movie streaming, and possibly video chat, then definitely get it before tomorrow and you'll be locked in for unlimited data. I'm almost 100% sure it'll launch before the end of June and you can return it and just get the new one.

Like Irish Rose says if you see you don't need nearly that much data or you just have to have that extra Big mac meal for the month then you can always switch to the lower rate plan. I would rather have the unlimited and see I don't need it after 2 - 3 months then to not have it and go over every month paying through the freaking nose. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.