Going to US in Feb, some questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tanax, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Hey!

I'm going to US(Miami + NY) in February and I'm having some questions regarding a possible purchase of a MBA(yes I know it's pretty far off but whatever).

1. I searched around and it seems that it is not possible to get a Swedish keyboard layout in any way, not even when BTO, which kind of sucks. So I'm stuck with the American keyboard. Does anyone know a good keyboard cover that fits the American keyboard layout, but has the Swedish keys?

2. I'm a student so I was going to opt for the educational discount. However, upon reading a bit more it seems this only applies for US students. Do they check if you actually go to a university or how does one actually opt for the educational discount(when ordering in the store)?

2. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Long wait and a lot of work just to avoid paying some tax.

Another way to look at it is just buy one in your home country, do your part and pay your tax.

Sure your taxes are higher than in USA ... but you get a hell of a lot for it too, healthcare, education, balanced and safe country ...

How's that for a reply ;) managed to throw in politics, morals, and a compliment to your beautiful country :D

3. KPOM macrumors G5

According to this old thread, an Apple Store was able to order a Swedish keyboard and swap it out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=455517

That was 4 years ago, though. I'm not sure if it would work now. How long will you be in any one place in the US? It may be worth a shot. Maybe just call one of the stores and explain the situation and see if they can order a Swedish keyboard. If they can do it now, they'll be able to do it in February. Apple offers French, Spanish, and Japanese keyboards through their US website (I don't know about the stores).

Sales tax is 7% in Miami and 8.875% in New York City (so you might save $20-40 in Miami depending on your configuration), but NYC stores generally have a better selection of configurations.

----------

Another option might be to ask an Apple Store in Sweden if they can order and swap out a replacement keyboard (and what the cost would be). If anyone can do it, Apple in Sweden could.

4. logatron macrumors newbie

1. You'd probably have to buy your MacBook Air in Sweden to get the Swedish keyboard layout, but I did find a Swedish Keyboard Cover for the MacBook Air 13" and the MacBook Air 11".
    2. According to the Sales and Refund Policy for the U.S. Store for Education, "students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution in the United States are eligible to purchase" products from the Education Store. This does not apply to students of Swedish institutions. You'd have to, again, buy it from the Swedish Apple Store to get the educational discount for your school.

Hope this helps!

5. 7010 macrumors newbie

Hej,

I am a German citizen, just traveled to Canada (to marry a Canadian! :D) and bought my new MBA there. I can't help out with the Swedish keyboard thing because I will permanently move to Canada in a while anyways and thus opted for the American layout. But I can say this:

You can definitely go for the student discount. Just look up a local university on google, say you study there and if they ask because of your accent tell them that you just got accepted into the university a year ago as a foreign student. But they usually NEVER ask for student cards (they didn't with me either). Just be proactive and tell them at the beginning of the talk that you forgot. Don't wait until they ask. Apple is really customer friendly.

About the first question: I know money is a big issue as a student (just finished my B.A. myself) but to be honest I would recommend just buying the Macbook in Sweden in your case.

Because getting a cover for the keyboard is just not cool. It's a hassle, it won't feel right (seriously, u wanna type on silicone? The keyboard on the MBA is ****ing AMAZING!!!) and the thing is this:

When Europeans look at the U.S. Apple prices they go crazy, saying OMG IT'S SO CHEAP! What we Europeans forget is that in the States they don't factor the taxes into the price they show, you have to pay that EXTRA. Suddenly it's not that much of a difference anymore, especially when you factor in having to buy that cover for $29.99 + shipping costs.

I recommend getting your mba in Sweden.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Since the US Keyboard is a different layout, with a different shaped return key, they couldn't swap it out - the metal cutout is different.

7. KPOM, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

KPOM macrumors G5

Which is why it might be worthwhile looking at the French or Spanish layouts. I'm assuming the French layout is the same one sold in Canada (as I'm guessing it's primarily for sale there). Does it have an American or European-style return key?

From this support document, the French and Swedish designs seem to have the same return key (though this is a generic layout - not specific to the MacBook Air). http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2841?viewlocale=en_US

8. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

You can purchase whatever you want as part of Apple's educational program goes without even being a student - they don't check and don't care what you are when you're ordering online or in store. However, the educational discount is over in September this year, so you'll be out of luck in Feb.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

The special back-to-school promotion will be expired, but they offer normal education discounts year-round.

10. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

First of all, thank you for all the replies!

I don't need it right now anyway so it's not like I'm holding out until Feb for a computer I need RIGHT NOW.. so the wait doesn't matter.

The tax is not the only thing. I did some calculations and a 13" MBA in US is about 4000 swedish crowns cheaper than buying it here in Sweden. Translated to USD, that's $570~ cheaper at current currency-rates.

That's pretty huge!
    But I do agree that we have better healthcare and in general a better society/life here :D So thank you for the love for Sweden, haha :)

I'll definitely contact the Miami(or NY) Apple Store and see if they can put me down for an order with a Swedish keyboard layout. Did not know there were different taxes so thanks for that info!

Regarding the Apple Store in Sweden, I've heard that it costs a LOT to replace it. Effectively they have to get an entirely new unibody(since the button-holes are carved directly in the body). Don't think this is an option, unfortunately!

Thanks for the links, will check it out!
    Yes, that's what I read too so I got a little worried.

Cool, thanks for the information! And congratulations :) I'm not very good with talking to salesmen but worst comes to worst, I'll just have to say that I don't have the student card with me and pay regular price.

I was actually planning on getting a cover for the keyboard anyway. My current MBP have really greasy keys :/ I do not want that for the new MBA.

Well, still $570 cheaper.. is a lot.. Even if you put tax on that, it is still almost $285 cheaper. And that is only if I do tax for it. But uhm, yeah.. I'll have to think about it I guess!

Thanks again for the replies!

11. Wokis macrumors regular

BTO-machines can come with swedish (and I guess just about any localized) keyboard layout. But well that'd probably require you to to order it from the swedish site and paying the tax. Did you have something different in mind? BTO in USA and deliver to hotel? :D

12. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's true!! I'll definitely have to check that out.
    French is the same as the Swedish, except for the actual keys - the cutout is the same though.

Definitely have to try it out! And as this person said:

they still offer regular educational discount :)

13. KPOM macrumors G5

You can only order that online, though, which can get tricky if you don't have a credit card with a US address. It's possible that in Miami the stores might stock the Spanish keyboard (NYC is the best shot to get the others - or if you go to Quebec you can get the French Canadian keyboard there). You might also be able to special order it through a store, but it might take a while to get there. Plus you'd still have the issue of converting it to Swedish.

Keep us posted.

14. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTO-machines can not come with Swedish keyboard layout if you order it in US, as far as I know. If you know differently, please let me know!

Can you not order a BTO-machine and have it to be so I can pick it up from an Apple Store? Maybe I'm misinformed :)

15. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I know it from other countries that I was visting in and had friends there - every country has people that can carve Swedish (or any other language) letters on your MBA. The cost was around $100-150. If you don't want to do that, then you can always buy stickers from eBay if you want to, but it looks funny. What's the difference in cost between buying an MBA from the US or from your country (in $)?

16. KPOM macrumors G5

You can pick it up in most stores now, but the trick is that you still order it online from the online store, which usually requires a credit or debit card with a US address.

You might be able to order an American Express Gift Card (or buy one at a store or AMEX location here) for use on the site, but I haven't ordered something on their site with such a card.

https://www.americanexpress.com/gift-cards/?inav=footer_giftcards

If you have a friend with a US address, that person might also be able to open up a prepaid card with American Express that offers some of the benefits of a card (such as warranty extensions, etc.).

17. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it's not just the characters that are different. It's the actual shapes of the keys.

Compare swedish:
    [​IMG]

to american:
    [​IMG]

Pay attention to the enter-key.
    And as said before, the price difference is about $570 cheaper buying it in the US compared to buying it in Sweden.

Oh dang! That sucks.

Well, IF I can't get the Swedish layout.. then the only BTO-option I want for the 13" is 8GB RAM. Hopefully one of the stores will have it, seeing as it should be a pretty popular option(thus they would be more likely to stock them). And if I'm buying in the store, they will accept international credit cards as we bought an iPad2 last year we were there with no problems, using our regular credit card.

Still have to check about the Swedish layout though..

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I think it's the same kind of return key as in Europe. I've never seen a Mac one specifically, but I've seen it on other French Canadian keyboards.

They layout itself isn't at all the same as France - people in Canada have no pressing need for a Euro symbol, just as people in France don't need a dollar sign.

Of course you can't buy those in the United States anyway, so it's of no help to the OP unless he wants to take a side trip to Canada.

----------

They don't stock BTO options, popular or not.

19. atMac macrumors 6502

Isn't that layout the same as the Japanese keyboard? If so then he may be able to order a Japanese keyboard and then have the keys changed out.

Or if he is a good enough typer just set OS X to Swedish and touch type and then it wont matter what the keyboard says.

20. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dang. So they don't have it in-store AT ALL? Or do they *sometime* have it, if you're lucky?

And no, a side trip to Canada is not an option, lol.

Will check it out!

21. KPOM, Jul 14, 2012

KPOM macrumors G5

The NYC stores have lots of BTO options. I purchased my 8GB 11" i7 at Grand Central the day it came out. You have better luck with the "loaded up" options (in other words, don't be surprised if they don't have an 8GB i5 with 128GB SSD, but do have an 8GB i7 with 256GB SSD). Don't go by what's on the website for in-store pickup. They might say a model won't be ready for 1-2 weeks, but the store might have them in stock anyway.

I don't know about the alternative keyboards, though, since I have never asked about them.

I have not inquired about going into a store and asking if they can order a BTO for you. You might try calling up one of the stores before you come here and see if they can do that and place a hold on your card. NYC stores get more tourists, so they may be more familiar with the process.

There is no harm in trying to see if you can order one online and have it shipped to your hotel with a European card. The worst it can do is reject it.

22. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I've heard some people say that some larger stores stock BTO options, but the main store in Toronto certainly doesn't. I don't know if it's a New York only thing or not.

The websites for both the US and Canada specify that BTO options are sold online only, but obviously from KPOM's post above mine, that's not necessarily the case.

Website says

Configure your MacBook Air to order with these options, only at the Apple Online Store:
    2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz)
    8GB memory upgrade
    256GB or 512GB of flash storage
    2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz)
    8GB memory upgrade
    512GB of flash storage

23. vodkaPT, Jul 14, 2012

vodkaPT macrumors member

you can order this keyboards:

Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    Backlit Keyboard (Western Spanish) & User's Guide
    Backlit Keyboard (French) & User's Guide
    Backlit Keyboard (Japanese) & User's Guide

Here you can check the layout of each one:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2841 ( not sure if updated )

The French sucks because is an AZ... instead of QWERTY ( EDIT: I check in the URL above and the French Canadian is QWERTY and with the same format as the Spanish one)

The Spanish is probably the best option:

[​IMG]

But, If I was you, I would buy the american keyboard, and then used with short cuts to the specials characters. After a while you will get used and type really fast.

But this option is not that good if 99% of your time you will writing in Swedish.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

Their site has always said that. New York City stores usually have the most common BTO configurations. Stores in New Jersey don't have as many, but often have "ultimate" configurations in stock. Perhaps others in other cities can attest to what is and is not available.

25. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Of course I've never actually checked out what configurations they have in the local stores, as I've always made my major purchases online (within 10 minutes of things being available)