Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Hello I have a white iphone 5s in pretty much mint condition , id say 9/10 condition , my friend wants to add a line to his att account and get a gold 5s , he wants to trade me this brand new gold 5s for my white iphone 5s only if I pay the 200 plus dollars it's costing him to get the gold phone . Basically id be paying 200 dollars for him to trade me for the gold phone and he would get my 5s practically free , I'm just alittle confused on if this is worth it since I have a white 5s although id be getting a brand new phone it just seems dumb to do this ? Any opinions are welcome

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hello I have a white iphone 5s in pretty much mint condition , id say 9/10 condition , my friend wants to add a line to his att account and get a gold 5s , he wants to trade me this brand new gold 5s for my white iphone 5s only if I pay the 200 plus dollars it's costing him to get the gold phone . Basically id be paying 200 dollars for him to trade me for the gold phone and he would get my 5s practically free , I'm just alittle confused on if this is worth it since I have a white 5s although id be getting a brand new phone it just seems dumb to do this ? Any opinions are welcome

Awful deal. A fairer deal would be you give him the white 5s plus $50 max. However, unless you are dying to get the gold phone, I wouldn't do the deal at all.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't understand…
If your friend wants to buy a gold iPhone, just to exchange it for your white iPhone - and you seem to like your white phone….
Why doesn't your friend just get a white one, too? (forget the gold phone)

Sounds a little like a scam to me ...

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
I don't understand…
If your friend wants to buy a gold iPhone, just to exchange it for your white iPhone - and you seem to like your white phone….

The friend is looking for somebody to pay the $200 for his upgrade. Sweet deal for him.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
That is a terrible deal. Exactly how is your "friend" helping your situation in this. You're effectively paying for his upgrade.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
So, he's getting your white 5S in exchange that you pay $200 so that you can get a new gold 5S. It seems your friend doesn't care about the color of the phone as long as someone will pay the upgrade so that he gets a decent phone.

A more fair approach is that you both pay $100 each to get what you both want, otherwise I wouldn't offer to be his best man at his wedding. You may end up paying for the his ring.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I don't understand…

Your confused , I mentioned to him I wanted a gold model after he told me he wanted to get a 5s right , ok then he offered to give me his new gold phone if I pay for it and give him my 5s I currently have

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Couldn't you sell your white 5S and buy a gold 5S for all less than $100 damage to your pocket? $200 is a bit high. If your buddy is financially struggling, throw him a $100 otherwise $50 is more "fair".

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Your confused , I mentioned to him I wanted a gold model after he told me he wanted to get a 5s right , ok then he offered to give me his new gold phone if I pay for it and give him my 5s I currently have

You'd still be getting ripped off. If I were you, I'd give him no more than $50. He'd have to pay the whole $200 himself if he just got the white 5s.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
And you need help from a bunch of strangers? If I give you my number can you call me I've got some real estate scams umm I mean deals for ya.

No scam here friend , just an honest person who was offered a deal and wasn't sure if it was worth it so yes I asked here but I don't consider you guys strangers , you guys are my apple brothers and sisters lol , no need to be so negative , if you are an unhappy person please go troll the samsung forums

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
We all have that one friend lol...

I would say its a rip off. Sell your white 5s on Craigslist and buy a gold one for same price with that money.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
No scam here friend , just an honest person who was offered a deal and wasn't sure if it was worth it so yes I asked here but I don't consider you guys strangers , you guys are my apple brothers and sisters lol , no need to be so negative , if you are an unhappy person please go troll the samsung forums

Just berceuse I'm telling you something you don't want to hear
doesnt make me negative.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Just berceuse I'm telling you something you don't want to hear
doesnt make me negative.

It's not that I don't want to hear it , it's that your wrong to acuse me of a scam because the question confuses you , I asked an honest question and right away you jump to conclusions I mean I can't be the only one who can't stand that one a..hole who has to post something negative instead of constructive !

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It's not that I don't want to hear it , it's that your wrong to acuse me of a scam because the question confuses you , I asked an honest question and right away you jump to conclusions I mean I can't be the only one who can't stand that one a..hole who has to post something negative instead of constructive !

I think he's calling your friend a scammer?

Either way, it's a terrible deal for you. Definitely a rip off deal from your friend. Offer $50, if he says no, then walk away.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Yea I just got that , I think he was calling my friend the scammer not me so I apologize my bad . But I don't think he is really trying to scam me I think he just wants a 5s so he is willing to take my like new white 5s if I pay the 200 and take the new gold phone but after many great comments of advice I think I'm turning it down

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Yea I just got that , I think he was calling my friend the scammer not me so I apologize my bad . But I don't think he is really trying to scam me I think he just wants a 5s so he is willing to take my like new white 5s if I pay the 200 and take the new gold phone but after many great comments of advice I think I'm turning it down

A wise decision; you're $200 richer.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Depending on the carrier and plan the friend may also be getting a credit for adding a new line so don't feel bad about making a lower offer. BenTrovato had a good answer of selling yours and buying a gold one. The different would be less than $200.

To be honest, if the phones are the same I'd get a gold one and swap it with a friend who wanted a gold one for nothing. Or maybe an adult beverage of my choice.

I can sympathize with you. I didn't see a gold one in person until well after I bought mine. They are nice looking.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

Funny, you ask a question and then attack people for giving you an honest answer. By any objective measure it's a bad deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.