Gold vs Silver vs Space Grey

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jojods, Mar 24, 2016.

1. jojods macrumors regular

I can't decide!

I always get Space Grey but thinking of a change because I like how clean the white looks.

Is it true that the White makes the screen pop less because of the borders?

What are pros and cons of each and what colour will you be getting?

2. Wackery macrumors 6502a

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

There is no pros and cons. Technically all is equal. It's 100% purely a subjective issue. The black or white bezels in no way make the screen better/worse. It's all perception.

I'm traditionally a Black bezels kinda guy, but this time around i thought i might entertain the more 'feminine' side of my nature, so i chose gold for my 12 incher. I find it a beautiful thing. I'd love to have chosen rose gold.

Upsides - none really. White/black - makes no odds.
    Downsides - see above.

I will say this though - choose the colour you'd like to see the bezels - white or black. Because i find that the main body colour is pretty much unseen and not looked at for 99% of my ipad's time. I only look at the screen and bezels. I hardly ever notice the metal colour on the back.

4. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

White bezel or Black bezel! Black bezel (Space grey) is the only option for me.

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

White is the best option. (That's my opinion- just as you asked)

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Black is the best. There's another opinion...

8. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

It depends on the user. 3/4 of iPads have white front panels while the last has black. If you like the white front panel, it comes down to color preference. I have the space gray but personally I like how the gold looks. I'm not sold on rose gold yet since it has a salmon/pink hue. The rose gold Apple Watch is more rose for to compare

9. d0minick macrumors 6502

jumping from gold air 2 to space ipp 9.7. miss the black bezels

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I bought a white bezel mini. I find the white bezels distracting. YMMV. My 12.9" Pro is black. And so will my 9.7" will be. But I got red covers. Had to make a statement.

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Black is less distracting if you're watching vids or something, but I went white to match my phone! Weeeeeeeeeeee

12. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Yeah I was initially think going Gold but then I don't like the white borders, I think black just seamlessly "integrates" with the screen better. Less distracting is what I mean.

So I just got Space Grey since it's the only black bezel one.

13. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

RED COVER!!! Where!??

14. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I can't not have a black bezel anymore. On the Air 2 they introduced a laminated screen so the screen looks almost like its on top of the glass. Looks great, no more sunken screen. But there is still a little black edge around the screen, between the screen and the bezel. On the space grey that is barely noticable, but it is noticable on the white bezel devices.

only a small thing, but it was enough to make me swap from white to black. And I'm never going back ;)

15. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

My first white bezel device was an iPhone 5s back in 2013. Before that, I was strictly black for front and back. Now I only buy white when I can (closest I could get on a Galaxy S7 Edge was silver ). In my opinion, white looks so much nicer, and it doesn't distract at all.

16. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Product (red) smart cover. Love it with the space grey. Went that way with Air 2, going that way with pro 9.7

17. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I actually like the black border. Kind of like a frame around the display.

18. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Oh on the 9.7 . I was hopping for a product red for my 12.9' iPad Pro

19. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I always find the space grey to have the least distracting border. Particularly at night, you barely notice it and I like the space grey anyway. They also tend to hold their value better.

I had a white iPad Air once, never again :D

But it's all subjective, they all do the same thing, it's down to your own personal taste.

20. Wackery macrumors 6502a

"Own a 12.9 ipad pro and want to support research against AIDS? Too bad" -Apple

21. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I owned a white iPad once, and I will never own another one. The white border is very distracting to me.

22. hank moody macrumors 6502

hank moody

Space Gray iPhone SE is a work of art. i have no doubt.
    The most besutiful piece of tecnology EVER made.

23. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I'm curious, what is your usage case for having both the 12.9" and 9.7" Pros? I'm trying to find a way to justify a purchase of the 9.7"... :D
    May order one for a trial basis.

To OP, I have always preferred the black bezels on my devices. I struggle with the decision every time I buy a new device, and always end up going with black. The space grey option just looks so sleek. The silver and gold are beautiful options, but I would imagine that the white border would distract from the display a bit. Especially in movies where you already have a black border on-screen.

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Don't know yet. That's why I bought it.

You can't really get the hang of these things handling them 20 minutes at the store. You have to own them for months, and only then can you really say "its too big", "its too small", etc.

The 12.9 is a bit too heavy for me. I use it a lot one handed in bed holding it over me, and its just a tad too heavy.

However, I am thinking that I will miss the big screen. Which is why I am keeping it.

The mini has been sitting on the table for months. I also have a 6S Plus. There is some overlap there, but I rarely take the mini with me. But when I do, I used to take my Air 2 more often. But I sold that a couple of months ago. I am hoping that the new Pro 9.7" will be my mobile come with me device, and the 12.9" will be the at home except when in bed device. We'll see. I need to use them for a while before I decide.

25. wetcanvas macrumors regular

I owned one with a white border and it sucked balls. very distracting. Space gray all the way to get the black border for better with movies.