GolfShot GPS

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by derek1984, Jun 22, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I have no clue how this app will be but I saw it listed today in the app store and it seemed cool, so I took the $29.99 chance! Has anyone used this yet? How does this rank compared to other GPS Golf apps?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

same problem as all of them. They don't have the courses I play on.

3. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? I checked the list before I purchased and was shocked how all of the courses I play here in NY are on them. Even the par 3 courses. If this works so that I can tell after each shot how many more yards to the hole I have to go, then this will be the best app ever for me!

4. AKlrt macrumors member

GolfShot GPS

I have checked out a lot of them and this one has one of the best on course readouts for those of us who need reading glasses to see some of the Golf GPS systems - either stand alone or for iPhone. I am in Alaska and they had all but 1 of our local courses available (we only have 6!). I requested the last one and it was posted within 24 hours!! I am pretty pretty impressed with its scorekeeping capability as well.

5. otto-matic macrumors newbie

6. AKlrt macrumors member

GolfShot GPS

I think so. Let's face it, the GPS have all got to be about the same as they are based on the iPhone itself. The interface is what is important. GolfShot has a ton of courses and they map them fast if they don't. The scorekeeping has some flaws in reporting, but it is still easy to use and they are very open to suggestions. I heard that ViewTi has some Customer Service issues, but didn't really experience them myself as all I ever had was the free or $.99 version, can't remember which. Best of all is the size of the display in GolfShot as it is large enough for me to read!

7. diesel macrumors 6502a

Having purchased and used teeshot, golfcard, and golfshot (non gps version), I have to say golfshot is probably the worst of the bunch. I bought the non gps version of golfshot and when i used it for the first time was immediately annoyed with the following:

1) When first using golfshot, it downloads ALL of the courses in its database for your specified homestate. I don't know about you, but I don't need nor do I want any memory space being taken up by potentially hundreds of courses I will probably never play. To make matters worse, as soon as you want to download a course from a different state, it doesn't the same thing, it downloads ALL of the courses for that state. It is simply STUPID.

2) Once you have inputted your round and ended it, there is NO way to go back and edit an information, so you better darn well make sure the data is correct, otherwise you are screwed or you can just create a new round and re-input all of the data.

3) Golfshot REQUIRES you to register on their service/site. It seems to be that they are trying to build a community like oobgolf and therefore they will probably NEVER ever implement syncing with oobgolf. Let's face it, oobgolf is probably the best online community of golfers and i think golfshot will fail in trying to change that.

4) The stats that the app supposedly tracks is not really tracked from within the app. It seems that your rounds data is sent to their website/service where stats are tallied and charts generated then sent back to your device. So if you do not have a data connection, then you WILL NOT be abe to see any stats info. To be tied to a data connection is once again just plain STUPID especially when the device has more than enough processing power to tally up the stats itself.

Given the above, I feel like i wasted my money on Golfshot. I will be sticking with Golfcard for now as my primary golf scoring app.

8. titaniummd macrumors member

I have used two programs for my yardage: MyCaddieFree and ViewTi. I also have Golf Card.

Golf Card frequently locks up on me when navigating between holes. The scorekeeping function is great, though. It is not reliable for the GPS function, to me.

MyCaddie is good but the map is too slow to load. It is good for the various shots around the green and for the hazards that I mapped. However, since I map over 100 points on a course, I find it too time consuming.

I bought ViewTI which is good but there are some holes that have not been 'updated' after 'changes'. The scoring card is good, and the yardages are accurate. Its interface is similar to the uPro GPS by Callaway - but Viewti also does scoring. However, I do not like that it does not necessarily zoom in where you are (when you are in the fairway).

I saw GolfShot but I have already committed myself to ViewTi. I don't think it is worth it for me.

9. Stunod7 macrumors member

Stunod7

It doesn't seem like anyone has a good app. I'm hesitant to take the bait and buy an app because they all sounds like they have pretty glaring bugs.

10. diesel macrumors 6502a

I think what people fail to realize is that any iPhone based gps app is simple not practical out on the course unless you keep your phone on for the WHOLE rounds which is not going to be possible due to battery constraints. If you don't leave the phone on the time it takes the iPhone an accurate lock from shot to shot is way to long and will only serve to frustrate your golfing partners as well as any groups behind you. This is not an issue with individual golf gps apps but an issue with the iPhone gps and battery life in general. I've tried teeshot and golfcard gps and as I said just not practical on the course. Well at least not for every shot but maybe for a select number of shots.

As mentioned before in a previous thread I've been using a suunto gps watch programmed in with center of green coordinates for every hole of my course as waypoints and I get instant distance to from anywhere I am to that green. I tried with the iPhone and it was an exercise in patience and frustration.

11. AKlrt macrumors member

Well, I think the observation that no one really has a great app is the best. If we are looking for great golf gps, the iPhone version is not going to be it - go out and buy the uPro, or Garmin or the new Golf Guru 4, which is kind of intriguing (so is the OnPar for that matter). I had never heard of the Suunto, so looked it up. Pretty nice but definitely spendy! Like a lot of apps, the golf gps feature is somewhat of a toy. No one has mentioned the AirVue, which I also considered. The main problem is the battery drain if you keep it running all the time. I use the inCase Power Slider, which works pretty good for battery backup, though I have experienced some connectivity problems with it. GolfCard does have a great score card function as does GolfShot. You can revise the scorecard on the GPS version, by the way. None are great, so you just need to decide which one meets the most of your individual needs or desires and don't go into any with real high expectations.

12. diesel macrumors 6502a

Now i just use golfcard to keep track of scorecards and not for the gps. As for suunto, i use the x10 gps watch. it was not designed to be used for golf but was designed to track hiking/outdoorsey activities as well as to help navigate from point a to b. however, i simply entered hole coordinates into the watch as waypoints and it works great, always on my wrist, it pulls down coordinates every second so literally i have instant distance to the green.

13. birnando macrumors regular

birnando

Golf apps for the iPhone

I would have to disagree with most of the posters here.
    Both Teeshotl and Golfshot do suit my needs just fine.
    Teeshotlive is the most feature-rich of the two, but for it's is ease of use, I tend to use Golfshot.
    Both developers are really quick responding to course requests, and teeshot even let's u input it yourself, and posts your score to Twitter and Oobgolf, if u so desire.
    However, my last scan of my homecourse was processed and ready to use within 3 hours from the guys at Golfshot.
    The GPS functions are working flawlessly on both apps.
    And, I do live in Norway, not the centre of any of these developers attention when it comes to courses.
    Good job from both of them.
    Due to ease of use and "eye-candy" i tend to use Golfshot though.

14. cosmaboy macrumors member

I'm from the UK and have Greenfinder GPS, although it's very basic, it has a huge amount of courses ready to download and when you request a course it takes about 2 weeks to have the coursed mapped.

It's a very simple good GPS and with the 3GS it works perfectly as the GPS signal seems a lot better and accurate.

The only problem is battery life........ Does drain the battery.
    http://greenfindergps.com

But i would recommend it.

15. supersnake macrumors newbie

I actually like to use AirVue

Like a previous poster said... you wouldn't want to use the app for everyshot, but that's highly unlikely anyway. I love using airvue for prolly 8-10 shots per round. Mostly when I'm playing longer holes and not sure about hazards and such. I like being able to see the distance from my current location to any other item on the course.... and I also like the fact that it uses real pictures of the course. Definitely worth it to me. The only thing I don't like is the scorecard function that's built into the app. Once the airvue app crashed during a round (about 7 holes in) and it reset all of the scores! That sucked!! It should keep the scores no matter what unless you reset them. Anyways, as far as a "shot planning" tool, it works great.

16. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I use good old distance markers and walk my way to work out how far I am.

Though no courses in Edinburgh are featured otherwise I'd have bought it ;)

17. npsit macrumors newbie

I Like Golfshot GPS

After using a SG4 Skycaddie for a few years and having numerous salellite syncing problems (a generic problem with SG4's), I started looking at different iPhone golf GPS apps. In my opinion GolfShot GPS is the best out there because: 1) the GPS and Aerial views are the easiest to use and see, 2) it seems to have all the courses I play in the SF Bay Area and 3) the accuracy is as good as my SG4 (when it works properly). GolfShot works best if the display is left on all the time and only switching it off using the "GPS Active Power Save Mode" switch and keeping you iPhone exposed (not in your pocket) so it can constantly re-sync. Even with GolfShot's recommended power saving tips, my 3G phone battery will only last ~4+ hours and to overcome this limitation, I use a Mophie battery extender when using my iPhone as a golf GPS device. Note that I don't use the built-in scoring feature because, even though the input is reasonably well designed, it still is a pain to enter this extra data between holes. My only complaint with GolfShot is that it doesn't automatically advance to the next hole when you move off the green - A feature I liked on my Skycaddie.

18. iliketherumors macrumors newbie

iPhone Golf app rankings - Golfshot and Airvue

I would check out Golfshot and Airvue. There are some good reviews at Critical Golf (criticalgolf.com) and About.com.
    Battery life is brutal on these devices - you can go through a full charge if you use heavily throughout a round. The sat images and stats tracking (esp on Golfshot) are awesome. Some apps are insanely cheap like AirVue...those guys could be charging a lot more... You really can't go wrong at that price (though just make sure the courses you play are available before purchase!)

19. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This app makes me wanna try golfing, and not just my one experience at the drive range. :)

20. bjf123 macrumors newbie

I just used the GolfShot GPS for the first time yesterday at my home club. I didn't really need it for too many shots, since it's a course I play regularly. My playing partner had the Garmin unit, so we compared distances between the units and to the recently re-lasered sprinkler heads. For the first few holes, GolfShot was off between 9 and 12 yards every time. The Garmin was off from the sprinkler heads, which I think are very accurate having just been re-measured, by a yard, maybe two. After about 3 holes, my GolfShot finally got a green indicator for the number of satellites and the distances were very comparable to the Garmin, sometimes off by a couple of yards.

The biggest problem, like everyone else has said, was the battery life. At the start of my round, the iPhone was at 99%. After 9 holes, it was down to about 45%. At that point, I turned it off and only turned it back on to enter my score for each hole. I do like the stats for fairways hit and greens in regulation. I guess I'll be looking for a battery extender, too.

21. james4513 macrumors newbie

I have Golfshot and Greenfinder. Greenfinder works fine, but is very basic. Golfshot works great. Yardages generally match dedicated GPS units, the score keeping and statistics are very good. And it emails your scorecard to you after the round. I highly recommend.

On usefulness of any of these iPhone units: I'm a walker. I just turn the iPhone off after getting a yardage or entering the score; the turn it back on as I walk to the ball. Takes 20-30 seconds on average to the the GPS lock. Works great and I come home with a 2/3rd's charge after 18.

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

was thinking of buying this app and not renewing my skycaddie.. Is it worth it?
    I seem to find mix reviews.

23. egnarts macrumors newbie

I've been using it for about a year. It's been great for me. I've played with others that have skycaddie and my phone was always within 2-3 yards of their readings. The scoring is great, especially with the stats tracking it does (greens in regulation, putts, fairways hit, etc.).

24. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I bought Golfshot GPS a year ago, and I love it. The yardage accuracy is pretty damn good, and the shot tracking is also great (though often disappoints me when I find out I didn't hit a 300 yard drive!).

The scoring system is good but there is one improvement I wish they'd make. When I share the score, I don't want my putts, driving accuracy etc on the scorecard, I just want me and the people I played with on it.

I emailed them about that ages ago and they said it was on the list of things to do.. starting to doubt that.

The maps aren't the best either - I've got another golf gps app - GolfCard Pro, which costed around £5. I bought that before I switched to Golfshot GPS. GolfCard Pro sucks in every way apart from the maps. They are more vivid than Golfshot Pro, and you can pinch to zoom, move around etc a lot better.

As for battery life with Golfshot GPS, my iPhone 4 will go from 100% to 65% in a 3-4 hour round of golf. No kidding. I'm really pleased with how well the battery lasts for me.

25. mcintoshmc macrumors newbie

This has to be the dumbest review I have ever read. You have no idea how to use the app.