Gone through 4 batteries... what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ventro, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ventro macrumors 6502a

I have a Late 2006 MBP (This one).

I don't use it much (it's for travelling).

I leave it plugged into the wall or unplugged for weeks at a time without using the battery. Since I bought it, I have gone through 4 batteries, including the one that came with the machine. That's over $500 in batteries!

The computer says "Batteries not Charging" with an X in front of the battery icon. Or it says "No batteries available".

I'm about to buy my 5th battery. What should I do this time to prevent it from dying like the others? Or is it a problem with my computer, and not the battery?

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Problem with the computer to be honest.

The non-unibody MBPs eat batteries it seems, and yours actually kills them.

I went through three after they dropped below 80% after less than 100 cycles...

3. iambasil macrumors regular

You need to calibrate your battery regularly - monthly ideally - in order for the battery to retain its charging capability and maximise the battery life.

Here is some information on maintaining you battery.
    Sounds like you're using Tiger. Here is step by step instruction on how to calibrate your battery.

There is an article somewhere that mentions that if you are leaving your computer untouched for a significant period of time (eg a few months), it is best to shut it down and store with 50-70% charge in it. From my experience, it is definitely best to shut it down rather than leave it on standby when off for a long while! This seems to kill batteries and send it into dead-state like you mentioned.

4. iambasil macrumors regular

By the way, from personal experience you can get over 800 cycles out of those batteries (a few years). Make sure you avoid letting it get into dead state (no battery life at all) for an extended period of time (eg over a week) - especially when the battery is old.... that just invites the 'X' in the door.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm inclined to agree. I have the same machine and I'm on my third battery. I try to calibrate it every couple of months but often don't get around to it, so that obviously doesn't help!

6. ventro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Who really calibrates once a month?! I don't even use my MBP once a month. I ran down the battery to 0% every 3-4 months and charged it back up, but it still died. I got maybe 10 cycles out of it?

7. orchidrain macrumors newbie

Do you leave the MBP on while it's not in use? I think when it's not being used for long periods of time, it's supposed to be left at 50% charge instead of fully charged (if you actually leave it on and don't shut down the computer).

Also, if the batteries are prone to suckage, you should look into getting one off eBay since they are about half the price there.

8. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think your problem is that you are not using your battery. Give it a cycle every few days (3 ?)

11. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Sell it, give it away, be done with it. In the big picture, there is someone out there that would use that MBP everyday.

Look for an alternative computer source...library, cybercafe comes to mind....

Or look into a more mobile option you can use more often like an ipod touch, iphone, or ipad.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sometimes it's just bad luck… consistent bad luck. Sorry.