Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Hi, I want to get my girl friend a gift for her upcoming birthday.

I don't really know what to get her other than flowers and a card.

I was thinking maybe tickets to "The Lion King" (broadway) at the Bushnell Theater.

Any other ideas.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
A fancy dinner at an expensive restaurant does the trick for me. Plus an extra sunny disposition. :D

Is this girlfriend or girl friend? Was the space intentional? If so, then tickets would be nice. :p

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
gwuMACaddict said:
a Land Rover

duh

She has one! Her mother was selling it, my GF wanted a 4WD SUV, so she bought it off her. Its a land rover 2003 Discovery SE V8, silver with black leather. She she also has an A6 after our little car accident.

Although IMO the land rover discoveries are not the most comfortable vehicle to drive, it is fun.

and I meant girlfriend not girl friend. sorry.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Take her to a really nice dinner. Have someone speical dilver flowers to the table. Get her a nice gift, something Tiffany, etc.

DO NOT GET A GIFT CARD! It wasnt hard to pick out, it was easy. She want something that you picked out just for her.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
w_parietti22 said:
Take her to a really nice dinner. Have someone speical dilver flowers to the table. Get her a nice gift, something Tiffany, etc.

DO NOT GET A GIFT CARD! It wasnt hard to pick out, it was easy. She want something that you picked out just for her.

I know, seriously who would buy a GF a giftcard. It would make me feel like, ok, took you 3min to find this.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
EJBasile said:
I know, seriously who would buy a GF a giftcard. It would make me feel like, ok, took you 3min to find this.

Thats like say strait to her face: I don't have enough time to care for you so I got you a peice of plastic.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Boo on Victoria's Secret-- that's like giving in hopes of regifting to yourself. :( What stores does she like to frequent? What brands of clothing?

I personally am not a huge fan of flowers, they always feel like such a waste of money since they wither and die so quickly and nice ones cost a decent amount. :eek:

I agree though, a nice dinner, Tiffany's is almost always welcome... and give it some thought, maybe you'll recall something that she mentioned awhile back that she really wanted.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
cartier watch. what self respecting woman dating a doctor doesn't want a cartier watch? :D (it was the gift i got from the cardiologist i was with years back, so i figured it was an elective in medical school to give lavish gifts like that) ;)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
tickets to something are nice. Maybe if there aren't any sports that you guys are into, you could go to a concert. Coldplay will be touring soon, so maybe that or tickets to some other band?

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
devilot said:
Boo on Victoria's Secret-- that's like giving in hopes of regifting to yourself. :( What stores does she like to frequent? What brands of clothing?

I agree. I mean, yeah its nice for you... but does she really want it?

devilot said:
I agree though, a nice dinner, Tiffany's is almost always welcome... and give it some thought, maybe you'll recall something that she mentioned awhile back that she really wanted.

Wanna be my gf? ;) :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
dmw007 said:
That sounds like a good idea- a show and dinner afterwards/before.

Why is he asking us? EJBasile has had the best idea so far. :p

If flowers seem like a waste of money, what if you made her some flowers out of coloured craft paper? That sounds like a great idea, doesn't it? I

(and now you know why I'm single)

L

Lau

w_parietti22 said:
I agree. I mean, yeah its nice for you... but does she really want it?

Exactly. Give her some nice big comfy knickers. That's what we really want.

:D

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
EJBasile said:
She has one! Her mother was selling it, my GF wanted a 4WD SUV, so she bought it off her. Its a land rover 2003 Discovery SE V8, silver with black leather. She she also has an A6 after our little car accident

Defender 90 then

Bote

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia PA
You know her better than us. Women seem to love the unexpected. And she will obviously love being treated like the most important woman in the world, since that is her special day. The show sounds better than flowers if she is in to that. The more you listen to the little comments that she makes the more ideas you will have at times like this. You have to interpret these things since women hate saying exactly what they are thinking. It is our job to try and figure this stuff out. :rolleyes:

Save the flowers for some rainy tuesday when everything seems wrong in the world to her. Flowers on her birthday are wayyy too expected and thus sort of boring...

Oh and I have found that birthday spanks can be a lot of fun too :D

Bote

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia PA
iBlue said:
cartier watch. what self respecting woman dating a doctor doesn't want a cartier watch? :D (it was the gift i got from the cardiologist i was with years back, so i figured it was an elective in medical school to give lavish gifts like that) ;)

jewlery from tiffanys works well too ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Abstract said:
If flowers seem like a waste of money, what if you made her some flowers out of coloured craft paper? That sounds like a great idea, doesn't it?
Actually, I would MUCH prefer flowers made by my man to store bought ones (although it was a ton of fun waltzing around my uni campus on Valentine's when he surprised me w/a huge bouquet of my favorite florists' gorgeous roses-- nothing like public bragging rights, ;) ). How about instead of 'craft paper,' you use something like paper mache (<-- dunno how to spell it). It's nice-- they stay gorgeous for a long long time. :p
Lau said:
Exactly. Give her some nice big comfy knickers. That's what we really want.
Hear hear! :D I love how boy shorts and hipsters are trendy; they're so comfy and cute! My man and I have a 'system' worked out. If he really wants me to get/have some 'fun' undies that I would think are really uncomfortable/I'd never wear, then it becomes a 'me-gift' for him. Does that make any sense? :eek:

L

Lau

devilot said:
I love how boy shorts and hipsters are trendy; they're so comfy and cute!

Yay. :) Boy shorts and hipsters are fab!

devilot said:
My man and I have a 'system' worked out. If he really wants me to get/have some 'fun' undies that I would think are really uncomfortable/I'd never wear, then it becomes a 'me-gift' for him. Does that make any sense? :eek:

Yes, nice system... :) My bloke and I have a system. I wear hipsters, and he better like it. It works well....:D

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
devilot said:
Hear hear! :D I love how boy shorts and hipsters are trendy; they're so comfy and cute! My man and I have a 'system' worked out. If he really wants me to get/have some 'fun' undies that I would think are really uncomfortable/I'd never wear, then it becomes a 'me-gift' for him. Does that make any sense? :eek:

Indeed... I'm glad you've made the distinction here... there's a WORLD of difference between 'boy short' big knickers (cute) and 'bridget jones' big knickers (not cute)

I only wear dental floss when the outfit really calls for it...

;)

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
killuminati said:
tickets to something are nice. Maybe if there aren't any sports that you guys are into, you could go to a concert. Coldplay will be touring soon, so maybe that or tickets to some other band?
You'd buy her tickets to a sports match? :eek: I'd be sleeping on the sofa if I did that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.