Good Bye Brett!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by basesloaded190, Mar 4, 2008.

1. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I'm a huge packer fan and its sad to see brett retire. he will truly be missed in wisconsin. top 5 quarterbacks of all time and i think he was a quarterback people could love even if they weren't packer fans because he was always fun to watch and see what he was going to do game in and game out!

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Thread cross-reference: This is also being discussed in the NFL Off-Season (2008) thread. However, I'm inclined to believe a separate thread on this is valid.

Favre was a special player - an unbelievable quarterback with great instincts and a fantastic sense of the game. His competitive fire, I think, is unmatched. He'll be missed on the field (although perhaps not too much by us Bears fans), but I'm certain he'll be back, either as a coach or in the press box, very soon.

Best of luck to him.

3. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Great QB! He will be missed throughout the league. I would have liked to see him play one more season... but I think Aaron Rodgers is the happiest guy in Wisconsin right now...

FYI, Sean Taylor was the one who intercepted Brett's record breaking career interception number. HTTR!

4. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

I couldn't agree more. I'm a born Green Bay fan, I'm wicked sad he's retired.
    Actually, I'm on suicide watch:p
    Ugh lol

5. basesloaded190 thread starter macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

im right there with you...its going to be a tough off season for packers fans

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

When I followed the NFL more closely I was actually a Vikings fan, and even though Green Bay were our "bitter rivals" ;) I always respected and admired the skill, drive and ability that Favre had and brought to each and every game. A true athlete and a class act.

You didn't need to be a fan of the Packers to be a fan of Favre. :cool:

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've never seen any pro football player have more fun than #4. Truly a special player.

8. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

just out of curiosity... within the NFC North, what is the biggest rivalry? For instance, I would argue that Redskins-Cowboys would be the biggest rivalry in the NFC East...

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

he was a great player thats for sure.
    i'm glad he left on a somewhat high note at least with the packers doing well in 2007.

i'd say Bears/Packers, but i could be wrong.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

He certainly will be missed by Packers fans. He is sure to be elected into the Hall of Fame the first time he is eligible.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- you didn't. The guy's a hottie. :) I'm sure he'll be in the public eye plenty, just not necessarily in football.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

In recent years I think it's gone more to Packers/Vikings... those have been some brutal games. As a lifetime Packer fan I have a harder time cheering for the Vikings than the Bears when the season winds down and they can affect our playoff positioning.

It's a sad day, I really expected him to play one more year (especially given his performance this year). But if the rumors are true (that he wanted the Pack to pursue Moss) then I can see where he's coming from. He wants to go for it, and while he has a great receiver corps, another stellar veteran would do wonders to help another run at the big game. Why risk a year of mediocrity when he can retire after a year where 3 points could have had him in the Super Bowl...

The Packers now need to find a good backup quarterback. Rodgers impressed me this year in his performance against the Cowboys, but he managed to get injured in practice shortly thereafter illustrating the truth that most quarterbacks are not indestructible and fast healing.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You think so? Not sure myself... On the one hand his love for the sport could keep him around in the role of a commentator or simply as an ambassador to the sport, but on the other hand he's somewhat of a "player's player", the type who did his one job and did it well - to that end, I'm not sure if he's the type to stay involved in other aspects, take up coaching, etc. Further to that, I'm not sure what else he would become involved in outside of football since he lived and breathed it for so long and wiht so much passion. If he does something else as you have suggested, that would be great, but all I'm saying is I personally wouldn't expect it. ;)

14. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

This is a really rough day, I've been a Packer Fan my entire life. Being only 20, I don't remember the Packers before the era of Favre

15. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Bears/Packers by FAR. Arguably the biggest rivalry in the NFL, considering they're the two oldest teams and pretty much spent the first 25yrs of their existence alternating as league champions.

16. basesloaded190 thread starter macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

this is a another chapter in the packer's book that im not ready to read yet! i wish we could just turn the pages back and have brett back in our book

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And Sterling Sharpe? ;) :D

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I so wanted to see him go out with that last SuperBowl ring. Oh well, he had a phenomenal career and will be missed by the cheeseheads.

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

I initially thought he would as well, but thinking more about it, for every John Madden, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, and Dan Marino there's 50 star players that just can't make it in broadcasting or coaching. Joe Montana never really did anything like that, right? Or Jerry Rice? John Elway?

So I guess the odds are probably a little worse than 50-50 that he'll do anything after this that's in the public eye.

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Some of us still can't think of the Packers without Bart Starr...

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He could do all kinds of things- sportscaster, actor, reality shows, endorsements. What I've noticed about a lot of people in the public eye- they don't like to be out of it for too long. We both know how that goes. ;)

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

Or movies without Charlie Chaplin :p

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Coaching is out, Favre was the poster boy for "what not to do" when being a quarterback, yes he was damn good but I think he had a natural talent that cannot be taught, and most coaches don't want their QBs to start pulling Favrian stunts until they've proven they can play the game. If a QB figures out they can pull that **** off in a game, great, but no coach wants to encourage it by coaching how to do it.

I don't necessarily see him as much of a commentator, either, of course if Tony Siragusa can do it, I don't see why Favre shouldn't be able to.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I tend to agree...

He could, but keep in mind he isn't exactly a Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe, etc. who craves the public's attention. He seems to be a little more grounded, and as such, I don't think is going to be jumping all over any opportunity that comes his way just to feed his ego and stay in the spotlight. He's simply not that kind of guy from what I've seen at least.

25. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Im So Excited The Packers Suck Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Da Bearsss!!!