Good CAD Price for 320GB HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skorpien, Nov 27, 2008.

1. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hey all,

Looking at upgrading my unibody MB to a 320GB 7200 rpm HDD (from the stock 250). I've found this Seagate Momentus for CAD $120 (USD $97.40 at the current exchange rate) and was wondering if that's a good price (or if I can get a better deal). Since I live in Canada, I'd need a place that ships here and doesn't charge too much for it. I haven't been able to find anything myself (and believe me, I've tried), but I was hoping somebody on here would be able to recommend something.

Also, they're selling the Western Digital Scorpio Black for the same price. I've been reading online that the Seagate has a marginally better value for the money, but what are your opinions between the two?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I've always like Western Digital better, but it comes down to personal choice. Price wise $90-$100 is an ok margin for a 320GB 7200rpm. However, life expectancy, I think the WD drive is better, buts thats a personal overview.

some one else with different thought?

3. Sybersport macrumors newbie

4. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I was also leaning towards a WD initially, but after much online reading, it seems that Seagates are pretty decent drives. I think it will come down to manufacturer warranties. The WD has 3 years while the Seagate has 5 years.

Sybersport, thank you for the link. I think I'm going to have to bookmark them for future purchases. I might just have to go with the original link though due to the fact that I'm way too impatient to wait for ground shipping. That and the model with the G-Force Protection actually only works out to be only $10 cheaper. I'll think of that $10 to be the premium I pay to have it in my hands instantaneously.

Thanks again!

5. Semiopaque macrumors regular

The info I was looking at earlier indicates the Seagate is a better performer but the Scorpio is better on power. Check around as I don't have complete research yet, but so far that's what I'm seeing. Power consumption is definitely something to think about if your out and about a lot w your book.

6. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

The info I read on Tom's Hardware states that the only shortcoming the Seagate had in terms of power was when a defined data stream is required. It required 1.9 W as opposed to WD's 1.3 W. Since I'm not one to watch a lot of movies when I'm not near a power source, I think that really wouldn't sway me to get the WD.

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Does the new macbook has the head-parking ability? If so, you should buy a hdd without the free-fall sensor.

8. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

I didn't realize that. I always assumed the free-fall sensor was a part of the HDD, but reading more on that it seems that some people have had issues with HDDs that include free-fall sensors installed on MBs and MBPs. Does anybody know if that's still the case with unibody MacBooks? The drive without the sensor may not be in stock and I really don't want to have to order online...

9. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Just an update. I went ahead with the Seagate Momentus 320GB 7200rpm drive without the free-fall sensor. I lucked out and they had just received stock on Friday. I also bought a NexStar 3 ESATA/USB enclosure and I have to say that this experience has been one of the most painless experiences I've had with a computer... ever... SuperDuper! is so straight forward and taking the HDD out of the unibody MacBooks is so simple. The only snag I ran into was needing a Torx-6 screwdriver for the mounting screws. But once I bought a 30 piece set with a T6 bit, everything else was a breeze. I haven't noticed any majorly excessive vibration/noise/heat from this drive (yet), and I'm happy to report that everything's working like a charm. Anybody thinking of doing this upgrade should. Thanks again for everyone's input!

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This site also has some good deals on computer stuffs.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I'd get the WD Scorpio. It performs quite well, uses less power than other drives, and is whisper quiet. If there's a performance difference there (and I'm skeptical there is), you won't notice it unless you're microbenchmarking.

Also, it doesn't matter if you get one with a head-parking sensor or not. I've run both, and there's no difference whatsoever (at least not in the MB or MBP.)

12. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the advice, though it comes a bit late (I'm too impatient :p). I'm personally happy with the Momentus for the time being, but if something springs up that warrants a refund, I'll definitely go with the WD Scorpio next.