Good choice to buy iPhone now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, Apr 13, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Everyone knows that 3G is coming sometime this year (summer 08). Well i just bought an iPhone on APPLE STORE a refurb 8gb for $350 3 days ago. Hasn't arrived yet, but im just hoping this was a good choice. Like i did a lot research. I plan on unlocking my iPhone and activating since i don't have a cell phone at the moment. So there is no use for Edge for me, let alone 3G when it comes out? Is that a good argument to not wait for 3G, if im not going to be getting a data plan even when i get a service? my main question is, should i have waited several months for the 3G or just gotten this and be fine. anyways it will be harder to hack the new version, since it will take ppl a while to learn how to, and now they will use different SIM cards so its not easy to switch them as easily... opinions?

2. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

if i were you
    i'd wait.
    honestly
    send that refurb back
    and wait until after 3g comes
    2.5gen sales will hit rock bottom
    they will be so cheap
    trust me you can go another 2 months, i am i don't even have a cell anymore it broke :S

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

About 3G, it is a major strong rumor going around; nonetheless, it is still a rumor. I will be 100% happy if 3G were to come out, but I will not be surprised if it stays on EDGE. I strongly believe that by June 2008 we will see a newer look for iPhone and I have a 45% strong belief that 32GB memory space will come out.

I'd replace my current iPhone with the new version after a year of having if and only if 3G comes out.

If I were the OP, I'd wait after the WWDC in June to buy an iPhone or which iPhone model to buy according to his/her needs.

That's my $0.02

4. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

How much more evidence do you want? 3G will be here in June.

5. jimishjoban macrumors member

I would say just go ahead and enjoy your iPhone... Its awesome... Don't worry too much about future... I just got one and am really happy....

6. Skipster macrumors newbie

Just curious guys & gals...

I don't mean to be a heretic here, but clue me in. If my phone doesn't alert me on the fly when someone adds a meeting to my business calendar, it's not much use to me. I see what's sexy about the iPhone, but I understand it doesn't do this. Am I misinformed? If not, is this coming soon?

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That(amongst other things) is exactly what's coming inthe 2.0 June update.:D

8. bozs13 macrumors regular

just wait for the 3G one (very soon)

and if you really want a 1st gen, just wait till the 3G iPhone's out and it'll be dirt cheap

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True

10. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Wait, Why?

Because even if you dont use 3g

-There is a good chance a new look will come out even if its similar might be better looking.

-Maybe new storage capacities.

-Almost sure 3g

-GPS even if you dont use it.

-Minor hardware changes, bette hardware in any case even if its minor.

If you dont like the new iphone, you can still buy a current iphone for a lot less...

Also is less posible but there is rumors of OLED display comming out in the new design.

11. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

crap i don't know what to do... life and Apple moves fast. Do you agree that with the iPhone im getting that i will overall enjoy and love it? Like its bound to get increasing updates at random points in time, there is no way everyone can have what they want. even though the new one is coming in possibly june, its two whole months (possibly more or less). i won't get the chance to show off and use it as much as i would during my school year... any new thoughts? apple always updates, im stuck with my 1st genereation MacBook 1.83ghz Intel Core Duo, and im fine with it even though the new standard is 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo. so there is nothing stopping technology. anyways couldn't i always sell mine, cause im planning on keeping mine in great condition

12. heyp macrumors 6502

it's a tough call... i'm in the same situation, but i figure i'll just get another phone for the time being that'll be cheap with the 2 yr contract and then sell that when the second iphone comes out... i did contemplate just buying an iphone now, but odds are it will sell for a pretty big loss once the second iphone comes out and the prices are dropped on the first generation... ultimately, you gotta decide if it's worth losing probably a couple hundred bucks (assuming you bought it new, it obviously isn't as bad if you bought a used one or refurbished one if there was one to be found)

13. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright it all comes down to this. The 3G iPhone will use bigger SIM cards, yes? Correct me if im wrong. Or atleast a different type than the current SIM in the iPhones. Will you be able to fit the current SIMS into the new version of the iPhone. This is my outline: get refurb iPhone, activate it through iLiberty+, possibly jailbreak and unlock. My parents have AT&T, i plan to get a service on the family plan through one of those free phone deals, then ill just switch the SIM card into my unlocked iPhone and be set, because getting a plan legitably through AT&T on the iPhone is mad expensive. Also won't it take a while to perfect the unlocking and activating of the new 3G iPhones, so i would have no use for my iPhone till weeks, probably months later since unlocknig will be unsafe then. My main reason for getting an iPhone is because i can unlock it without AT&T, so if there was no whole unlocking buisness, the iPhone would not be in my mindset at the moment. Just think of it as me getting a new iPod, i was thinking of a touch, but might as well pay $50 for the same size touch and get a usable phone, camera, bluetooth and external speakers. So its a win-win either way right?

14. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

lets put it this way MY MAIN USE OF AN IPHONE WON"T BE FOR A PHONE AT THE MOMENT. SO NO NEED FOR PLANS, 3G, EDGE... hardware might change, but you have to live with the changes

15. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

the 3g iphone as i said,
    will have 3g speeds, and when out of 3g supported area, edge kicks in
    now apparently the new firmware update for the 2.5g will allow the camera to record video and effects
    as it can be done using an application
    i'm already saving for my 3g, i'v gone without a phone long enough
    so yeah if it's just video recording, mms, video calls, and faster internet i'd wait for 3g
    but if you just want video capture i'd wait for the 2g and buy it when it's hit rock bottom

16. mechamac macrumors regular

My contract with Verizon is up in about 11 days (can you tell where this is going?) and before the 3G rumors started flying hot & heavy I was dead set to buy an iPhone this month.

Then the rumors came and I waffled. I really would love to have an iPhone sooner than later for no other reason than I think they rock. But I hemmed and hawed about 3G and decided it would be stupid to buy now. There may be other hardware tweaks, but I'm feeling conservative about that stuff. Capacity will improve, and maybe a flash will be added to the camera, but I think anything beyond that is wishful thinking.

So, I knew that waiting was the smart thing to do, but I still wanted an iPhone. One day I went to an AT&T to play with one - I hadn't messed with an iPhone since iDay. Absolutely loved it. Then I turned off wifi to see how big a handicap EDGE would be. EDGE was just fine for browsing and maps. Far, far more than acceptable. Not great for YouTube, but that's no deal breaker. Maybe EDGE sucks in your town, but here in Central NY, mechamac thinks EDGE is just fine. On top of that, the rest of the phone is pure sex appeal. I fell in lust all over again.

Long story long, I won't be waiting. The current version of the iPhone is greater than the sum of its parts, particularly one flavor of wireless internet. I will cheerfully buy this month and cheerfully update to the new OS in June.

Huzzah. Though if you're still on the fence NiroshanMan, by all means send that refurb back. I'd love to buy it from Apple!

17. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

exchange support is coming with the next major software update (June)

18. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

If you already ordered the iPhone, keep it and enjoy it! Just be prepared to take a financial loss when the newer iPhone comes out. Why wait when you can enjoy the iPhone now for what it is... still awesome! When the newer one comes out, you can then decide whether you want to upgrade.

I say go all out. Enjoy the iPhone now. Then enjoy the iPhone 2 when it comes out!

19. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have a company paid cell phone, but like everyone else...I to became enamored with the IPhone. I didn't want to have a cell bill since work pays my bill, so I compromised and bought an ITouch. I love my Touch, but it's still not the IPhone. I am going to jump in when the second generation is released. My ITouch has been kept in a case since day one, so it will look like new when I sell it on Ebay...to be replaced by my new Iphone! ;)