Good Deal? Mac Pro Contract

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smogsy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

I Have Created a Contract For my Girlfriend About My PC Spending as i just purchased a £1300 PC (self build) then released i prefer my macbook i just bought £800. im writing up a contract to allow her to let me buy a mac pro

We Both Basically Sign, My Pc Setup then Can Not be Upgraded/Changed as it would break the contract and therefore She will get Something in Return like Unlimited money for Shopping etc.

if we both sign this
    then she will allow me to buy the beast and i can be happy once the Contact on Each Part is Gone Over the Date i Can Then Upgrade Thus Stopping me Buying a £1300 PC Every Year

This Contract Includes The Mac Pro,Two Screens & Allowed Upgrades
    Parts that Can NOT be changed for 3 Years
    [​IMG]
    * Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (may wait on 16 core if i can't save up in good time
    * 2GB (2x1GB)
    * 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    * NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
    * Two 16x SuperDrives
    * Apple Mighty Mouse
    * AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)
    * Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/or w/o Display) – Auto-enroll

Price: £2,157.99
    Yearly: £719

Products that Can NOT be changed for 5 Years +
    Dell 3008WFP X2
    [​IMG]
    Contrast Ratio (3000:1)
    DVI-D (dual link) with HDCP, white connector
    HDMI 1.3 complaint,DisplayPort,RCA,VGA,4 Usbs, Card Reader
    Resolution 2560 x 1600 (digital)
    Total Price Of 2 £2312
    Yearly: £462

This Contract Includes Two One Time Upgrades

Crucial
    Ram Speed: 800mhz
    FB-Dimms
    2x2GB (2 packs) - £272
    Yearly: £108

Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
    - Capacity: 1TB
    - Cache: 32MB
    - Interface: SATA-II
    - Spin Speed: 7200RPM
    - Seek Time: 8.9ms
    - Warranty: 3 Years
    £101
    Yearly: £40.40

Total: £4840

Am I Mad? should i change anything Add/Take away Anything or any ideas to help her to sign? :)

She will sign and so will I So The PC Cannot Change If its Not stated In the Contract

Ps ill Probably Give The Pc To My Family Friend Or Sell It If I Can Find a Buyer

2. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

3. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

We Both Basically Sign, My Pc Setup then Can Not be Upgraded/Changed as it would break the contract and therefore She will get Something in Return like Unlimited money for Shopping etc.

if we both sign this
    then she will allow me to buy the beast and i can be happy once the Contact on Each Part is Gone Over the Date i Can Then Upgrade Thus Stopping me Buying a £1300 PC Every Year

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

5. matt321 macrumors member

What do you do with your computer? I would say 3 years would be safe but that depends greatly on what you do...

6. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple Application Development (creating apps :p)
    Internet
    Music
    Odd Game (maybe Bootcamp but Doubt it)
    VMWare WIn/Linux running together (if possible)
    Programming in VM Windows
    Photoshop - WebDesign
    Flash - Animation for Site
    Dreamweaver - Webdesign
    Might try Imovie Out. if i joy it Aperture is it?

im a poweruser at heart love to have fast and try everything out that helps me speed things up

7. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

How about you have her sign a contract entitled:

"Agreement Not To Bug Me About What I Spend On Anything I Damn Well Please Or I Will Get A New Girlfriend"

If you ask any good lawyer you will find that this type of contract is a favorite of men who actually have b@lls. ;)

8. Roy macrumors 6502

And here you go posting what I was thinking. What a mind reader! Of course, I'm sure others are thinking the same thing.

9. nurivo macrumors member

Is there like a list for the weirdest threads on this forum?

10. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Unless it's money from a joint account, what does it matter what you spend your money on?:confused:

11. peejack macrumors 6502a

The only reason I can see anyone would need this comp is for extreme pro use. I cant see why you are spending this much or even wanting too, I mean 2 30" displays WTF???

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

This thread is just weird. What's your girlfriend got to do with how you spend your money? Is she a sugar-mummy or something? Under the thumb much? All very strange and a bit creepy if you ask me.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Honest answer is I think this is a really bad idea for the following reasons:

It sounds as if you enjoy spending your money on Apple kit, etc (nothing wrong with that), but maybe feel a bit guilty about the amount so you have drawn up this contract to show your GF you're serious about reigning in a bit and to try and give yourself motivation to not spend so much.
    However, the reason you spend so much on "toys" is because you enjoy doing so, and a bit of paper isn't going to magically make you stop enjoying the thrill of buying new tech.
    So, in a years time or less you're probably going to start wishing you hadn't signed the contract. At this point you'll resent it so much that you'll start blaming your GF, which will have a detrimental effect on your relationship. Your GF may decide to let you out of the contract because she sees you are so miserable and then you'll feel guilty, and she'll feel you can't keep to a commitment which will also have a detrimental effect on your relationship

So, if you sign this contract I predict you and your GF will be going your own separate ways in less than 12 months.

In conclusion, you (and she) need to accept that you are what you are and signing bits of paper ain't going to change that...

14. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Sorry, I think this is asinine.

First of all, why burn all that cash with an accompanying lock-in for a set period of time? Three years in Apple Time is a long, long time. My wife's iBook is just now approaching three years old, and compared to my 2006 iMac it feels like a slow, tired old geriatric of a computer. I still use it, but you know...

Aside from the time window, I concur with other posters that a "contract" for spending is absurd, especially when you (twice) mentioned "unlimited spending money for shopping" as her end of the bargain. In such a contract, I can think of twenty or thirty women I know right now would would spend WAY more than the cost of the kit you are looking at in three year's time. Most of them could spend that amount in six months, but I digress.

Forgo the contract. Realize that life is a marathon, and not a sprint. Spend your money judiciously and patiently, and in the end you will win. Basing a relationship on rigid monetary guidelines such as these is also foolish, and will become a point of contention. Since most couples fight about money anyway, there is no need to go out of your way to make excuses to do so. My wife and I have a simple policy: we share the same ultimate financial goals (comfy retirement, save for a house, pay off all debts, live frugally), but how we spend our money in accordance with those goals is not really open to argument. She wants shoes, fine. I want a new aluminum keyboard, fine. Too much micromanagement makes for a tense coexistence.

But, I wish you luck.

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

who needs a real girlfriend when you have TWO XHD monitors that you can use to view whatever you want? :p

Also, if you default on the contract, MORE money gets spent? Doesn't really make sense when the whole idea of the contract is to save money.

16. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

- MacPro? £2,157.99
    - Upgrades? 2,312
    - Getting your b@lls back? Priceless

17. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

Make another contract and forge her signature.

18. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

This Thread is Worthless Without Pictures of the Girlfriend.

19. m1stake macrumors 68000

SO TRUE

20. jons macrumors 6502

Really, really freakin' great post!

21. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

Get a rig like that and just think about the chicks you could pull!

I can hear the dialogue now... "That's a really big monitor!" ... "Wait 'till you see my mouse!?!"

Seriously, THREE YEARS... no way, just buy the thing! She's not the boss :cool:

22. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

You really need to get out more fella ;) ,I Don't understand the need for a contract ,I came home one day, announced i'd bought a Mac Pro and that was that, That must be some mighty big thumb print on top of your head there :eek: and just think, She's only your GF, wait till your married......................

23. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

don't you have your own money? If you do just buy the damn beast!

24. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Furthermore, why are you seeking validation from strangers?! I understand some people need to form a type of covenant with other forum members that they engage with on a daily basis but this is a little much.

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't do it!

...you'll want more than 2GB RAM :p

Seriously though, not to put to fine a point on it, this is insane.

Unless she's worth it, in which case refer to: