Good deal on last generation MBP & is it right for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dummptyhummpty, Jan 15, 2009.

1. dummptyhummpty macrumors regular

I was picking up this semester's books at my college's bookstore and they had an ad selling the previous generation Macbook Pro for $1199.

The specs for the one in the ad are:
    • 15.4" Widescreen
    • 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 250GB Hard Drive
    • 2GB RAM (I'd upgrade to 4GB)
    • Super Drive

I am currently using my 3 1/2 year old Powerbook G4 and was planning to upgrade this Summer. Lately, I was trying to see if I could do so sooner. I currently don't have enough money for a new MBP, but could pull off buying the one in the ad.

Physically, my Powerbook is a little dinged up and while it works fine its having trouble keeping up with me and my tasks. I usually just surf the web and check e-mail, but iTunes constantly takes its time and browsing through iPhoto (I have a 16GB collection) is more trouble than it's worth. Not to mention, I usually have multiple Firefox tabs open and anything having to do with flash or movies is jerky. I have a spare Vista computer in my room for Windows tasks and it would be great to move that out and to run Windows in a Virtual Machine/Boot Camp.

I didn't know if the deal alone was worth upgrading now or if I should wait until the Summer to pick up a new MacBook Pro. I tired searching to compare the new ones and it looks like the only differences are the case (I like both designs equally), multiple graphics cards (I don't play games, but plan to do some light DV editing) and the touchpad(Anything notable that was changed on this?). Is there anything I missed that makes waiting for the new ones worth it? Thanks for your help.

P.S. My friend works at an Apple Store, I have no idea if he can get a better deal than this.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wait it off. Last gen MBPs have failure rates due to faulty nVidia chips. Moreover, by Summer, I think the MBP line would be update to faster CPUs and graphic units.

Also, newer MBP run quite cool compared to last gens.

3. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I'd say that is a awesome deal and recommend you buy it before they're all sold out! Yes, there have been quite a bit of video card failures on the previous gen mbps, but apple has already came forward and said they will extend the warranty an extra year. Also, the mbp you mentioned would be perfect for what you do. You will likely spend close to $2000 for the base unibody model if not more but you would only spend about $1200 for the classic mbp that will meet your computing needs perfectly fine.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully they don't sell out because I don't know how soon I can get there! I priced out the new MBPs and it was over $2200 for the configuration I wanted. I spoke with my friend (the one who works at an Apple Store) and he thought this was a good deal. He said he just upgraded his MBP with a 7,200RPM drive and went from 2GB to 4GB and said we could do the same with this one. I guess I'll sleep on it, but I've pretty much made up my mind.