Good Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, May 30, 2011.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

So I am kind of tired of taking crappy pictures on my phone and want a better camera tho the iphone 4 camera isn't all that bad. I don't really want to spend more than $250 as I am not really sure how much I am going to use the thing. I just want one for trips and stuff.

I am thinking of the Nikon 8100 or the Sony H70. I am not too sure how much zoom I need but both of these are 10x zoom and around $250. Any other suggestions? Or someone who has either. I usually buy Canon and my last couple cameras were Canon and great but don't see one that fits my needs at a relatively none insane price. I had 1 Sony digital camera like in 2005 and it sucked but it was mostly because it had AAA batteries which was stupid.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You may want to check out dpreview.com for some ideas. The more zoom the better in my opinion. I have a Panasonic ZS series that I like very much.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Unless Sony's have drastically changed in the past few years I'd stay away. They are generally a pain in the ass to use menu and function wise. (Like I said though that may have changed).

I personally like Canon cameras myself.

4. Kashika macrumors regular

Might be a good idea to take a look at the new Panasonic Lumix digital camera's : )

5. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

the Panasonic ones at best buy all have a stupid touch screen thing going on. I really don't know how to use the camera other than shooting yet :)

I will research it more.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

this may sound stupid, but iPhone 4! I don't have one (tons of my family members have it), and everytime I see the images I am blown away. Some one published a book made up of images from the iPhone.

If you don't need a phone, I would look at either Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Oly, Pentax, Sony, etc. Sony makes CCd chips for most of the manufacturers anyways.

7. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I am going abroad and I was told not to whip out your iphone or its dangerous besides it won't work. going to Argentina and Colombia for some soccer tournaments this summer.

8. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I've never had an iPhone, but I have the Samsung TL105 camera. It is a very good basic digital camera. It will not take quote on quote 'amazing' pictures, but the pictures are pretty decent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674240-REG/Samsung_EC_TL105ZBPRUS_TL105_12_MP_Digital.html

9. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

The Canon Elph series always impresses me, and you can get last years model for around $100.

10. trip1ex macrumors 68000

11. Tydog07, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011

Tydog07 macrumors 6502

That canon point and shoot series is an excellent choice!

12. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

If you're still looking, another website mentioned that the Canon SD1300is is on sale at Radio Shack for $69.97

13. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I ended up getting the Nikon 8100 its a $300 camera but got it on ebay refurbished for $135. Was going to get the Sony H70 but this was cheaper and reviewed better. Hope its good and refurbished cameras work as well as refurbished video game systems or computers

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's an OK camera, good deal at $125 but not worth $300. A second hand Canon S90 would be my budget choice.

15. Potty macrumors newbie

Good digital camera

Hi All
    I too am looking for a decent entry level digital camera. Problem is that many cameras don't seem software compatible with Mac computers. Or am I talking out of my rear?!
    Cheers

16. Potty macrumors newbie

17. DeChrii macrumors member

I would definitely recommend a canon powershot. the sd1400is is great and i heard the elph300 is amazing as well. both camera shoots on hd and the quality is amazing. definitely check those out if you have the chance

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Take a look at the Lumix LX. It's got a Leica lens that's quite fast and it takes remarkable images.

19. Mav3067 macrumors member

I was always a Canon guy until I was recommended a Panasonic ZS7 last year. Went to Boston and New York with it last summer and was very impressed. It takes amazing pictures. That lead me to buy my brother-in-law a Panasonic for his trip to Europe. He really likes it as the Intelligent Auto function works well so that he doesn't have to know how to change settings to get the best pictures.