Good Free Roaming Game

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Jmanp17, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Jmanp17 macrumors member

I just downloaded the demo for Just Cause 2, and I love it. It shows me how much i love free roam games. Does anyone know any good free roamers out there for the 360?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you like RPGs, Oblivion has wide open spaces and I recommend it.

3. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I got GTA IV used at gamestop for $14 a few months ago, if you haven't played it. Best open world console game I've ever played, hands down.

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Far Cry 2 is my favorite "free-roamer". Big beautiful African landscape (you have to like the setting, of course), a great fire engine and many fun ways to approach and mess with the guarded camps.

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I also highly recommend this game. Was one of my favorites, but now I don't have much time to play my PS3, so it has come down to playing a match or two in NHL10 on the weekends :(

7. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

what about fallout 3? it beats grand theft auto for free roaming

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There's limited interactivity and the environment is mostly a giant dull wasteland.
    I think the king of free roamers is San Andreas. I've been inching through it on the PC since it hit Steam, but I also downloaded a 100%ed save for messing around in. My current save spot is beside the small airport near the Area 51 spot. Much fun to be had :D.

9. pcypert macrumors 6502

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I loved the environment in Oblivion, hated Fallout 3's landscape, everything brown and muddy looking such that I did not stick with the latter.

11. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'll give another vote for San Andreas....out of the GTA games, it really had the most varied map with loads of fun stuff to do!

12. GabooN macrumors regular

I've just preordered Red Dead Redemption and I hope it delivers. All the vids and everything I have read looks great so I'm just hoping it feels right. I hope the controls are a bit tighter than GTA. I would prefer if the character control was a bit more like a third person shooter (when you move left or right on left stick, the character strafes, instead of turns and walks in that direction - feels sloppy to me, and I don't need to be able to turn with both left and right sticks)

Also I hope the shooting mechanics are good :)

13. kyleh613 macrumors regular

Just Cause 2 is really good, i'm putting in my main recommendation for that one.

Otherwise Oblivion and Fallout 3 are really great. I think the Crackdown recommendations are trolls lol, that game sucks.

14. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I think you just have different taste in fun then, because that was not meant as a joke. Crackdown still stands as my favorite 360 game. Is it the best game ever? Of course not. But when playing co-op with a friend, it is more fun than any other game I've played yet.

15. pcypert macrumors 6502

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I thought Crackdown was quite good fun, the vehicle and agility upgrades were good, great sound track. There's not much of a story to the game, but it's one of the few 'shallow' games that's fun enough that I play it anyhow.

I really liked Far Cry 2 as well, a beautiful game, and a great setting. I like the little touches too - when you open a weapons crate you actually take the weapon out, it doesn't just jump into your hands. When you're driving around and check your map, it doesn't just pop up, you actually look down onto your lap to look at it as you drive.

Just Cause 2 is a bit similar, but doesn't feel as polished to me. It does have a huge game world, but there isn't an awful lot to do in it. Drive around, destroy stuff. Repeat.

Red Faction Guerrilla is similar in its gameplay, and similar in that the game world is a bit empty. I really liked it, but many others found it a bit dull.

I really like Assassin's Creed 2. It's not one huge free-roaming world, but a few large cities and mid-sized towns, but the world is beautiful, the weapons fun and the collectibles are genuinely interesting.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are among my favourite games, the amount of items to find, people to meet and quests to complete is staggering. But, IME, they're two of the buggiest games ever made. In both cases the games were fine, but after a long time playing with one character, both games begin to exhibit all kinds of animation freezes and console lock-ups. Considering both games are from the same publisher and (I believe) use a similar game-engine, that's not surprising; even though I own Oblivion on the 360 and Fallout 3 on the PS3.

It's pretty annoying since I'm not close to completing all the quests, but to play them now I have to start all over again as a new character.

Another one that no one has mentioned - The Saboteur. Graphically, it's average at best. The vehicles are awkward to drive, the story is a bit hammy and the main character is as "Oirish" as they come. But it's just great fun to play. Being chased around Paris by Nazi armoured cars and shooting down Zeppelins, then popping around to the local burlesque house for a bit of... what more could you ask for? :)