Good Job for High Schooler?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChrisN, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well this summer I want to work and save up for a refurb macbook pro. (I decided it was not worth it to upgrade my macbook) I could work my dad and get 20 dollars a day but I don't know if I can get a tad bit more than 2 and a half dollars a day. I really don't know what I can do because I don't have any brothers or sisters with experience.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    ChrisN

2. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

Go around your neighborhood and ask around to see if any local shops are hiring. Walking to work as a teenager is a good thing, it means no money wasted on gas or bus fares.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Well, I don't know what area of what country you live in but just think of places nearby where High Schoolers hang out, chances are they employ High Schoolers as well.

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

What grade are you in.

Talk to who ever is in charge of the computer systems at your school. See if you can get a job working with him or her. They'll probably pay you well. I worked for 2 weeks and like 5-6 hours a day and made $800 doing that. It was extremely boring and redundant (setting up computers, updating software, etc) but it paid well.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't know what part of the world you are from, but here in Illinois "working" a parent is highly frowned upon... :eek:

Back on topic... How old are you? High schoolers can have jobs too, it depends on the state (I believe). For example, I got my first job at 16. Go down to the local burger joint and sign up to flip burgers. You'll certainly make more than $20 a day.

6. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

This was what I was going to suggest. Go to Mc D's, Burger King, whatever local places you have and toss in an application.

7. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Let's just say I am gonna be a sophmore next year...

And sorry for the bad wording of my original post, I need to fix that ASAP...

Thanks,
    ChrisN

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

So you're roughly 14-15? That knocks out local places. Will your dad let you mow lawns? $20 a pop, you could get 2 or 3 done a day if you can get word out of your doings.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Nah, leave it, its much more fun that way. ;)

Try to find something small. Its winter in the US, if you are in a place that snows get out a snow shovel and rock salt, borrow a lawn mower and have at it, etc etc.

10. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Shoveling snow could work but I double lawn work could because everyone has one of the contractors do it so I'm outta luck there. There is Peking Duck close to me a dollar tree and a movie theater. Maybe one of those you think. Do you know if any of those hire people in my age range?

Thanks

11. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I seem to think that in most states, its breaking child labor laws to hire before 16 unless its an agricultural job or something more unofficial, like mowing lawns. You've got a bit of time before you can get into retail, i think.

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Even if you're able to get a job legally, you'll probably not be able to work past 7pm, and so if you're at school until 3pm, that leaves you with a maximum of 4 hours of work @ minimum wage - taxes = ~$20. When I used to work in a grocery store back in high school when I was around 16 years old, my manager would freak out if I was still at work past 7pm because it's against the law for a minor to work that late. Maybe the laws have changed, but I'd say work for your dad for $20/day - that is probably the best you can find until you are 16.

13. danidoll521 macrumors regular

My first job was as a bus person/food runner in a local restaurant at age 14 (the age to legally work in MD). It was a nice restaurant along the water and the tips were great. I was paid $6 per hour and if I worked a double on Saturday in the summer I could walk with over $100 in tips.

I would suggest looking in restaurants. The work is by no means difficult, you'll get paid fairly well and you'll meet a lot of interesting people.

14. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I got my first job at about your age and it certainly wasn't glamorous: I cleaned out the cages in a pet store! The pay wasn't great, but the hours were flexible, I didn't have to deal with customers at all, and the animals were grateful to have some company. In spite of all this, it was pretty clear to me that there was nowhere to go but up from this first job.

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

16. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

17. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

Go to your local park district and elementary schools and see if they are hiring for their day-care programs.

I had, and still have, a day-care counselor position with kids grade k-5th and I can tell you (having worked: retail, fast food, sales, labor) child care is eaasily the best for a high school kid.

You get off school, have a break at home for an hour or so, go to the day care site, and play with kids for a few hours. My particular position allows me to do my homework and use the schools resources (library, computer lab, etc.) while getting paid. And after having been there for almost 5 years now, I have received several raises and promotions.

DAY CARE

18. JDR macrumors regular

Not sure what part of Illinois you're from (well, actually, I do ;)) but up north from where you are, I know a lot of kids that help out at the family restaurant/store or wherever (and get some $ for it).

19. jones14 macrumors member

I'm 16 and I work for a company that does customer satisfaction surveys for larger companies. It has really flexible hours and I get paid $7.50 an hour. The only con is that I have to schedule 20 hours a week. I do have the opportunity to work over 25 and then I get paid $9.50 an hour which is pretty good for 16 I think. Maybe you could find something like that in your area, I don't really like it that well but I can talk to my friends in between calls and I can usually get away with using my iPod touch and access a few of the surrounding wireless networks which makes it a pretty enjoyable job with a decent paycheck. ($140 a week)

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Nope nope nope, go back and read how it was written when I quoted it. He didn't say "work for" or "work with" he said "work my dad." ;) And that my dear friend, makes the joke.

21. JDR macrumors regular

Ahh...I see what you mean....and yes, very frowned upon in Illinois and probably elsewhere :D

btw, I liked ErikCLDR's idea about trying to get a computer job with your school. Pretty easy, good $$.

Oh and also 15 year olds can get work permits in IL, not sure about elsewhere though. Something to look in to...

22. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

ya im gettin a job soon. im gonna be 16 in july. i live in illinois

23. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Yup, you can also get a work permit in Nevada which will allow you to work if you're under 16.

Also, I just discovered that my highschool has a program that if you work over the summer like 120-150 hours(?) you'll gain "work experience" and it'll count as half a credit for school. I'd check into that as well.

24. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I just remembered that my mom does some focus points so she might get me into a couple and they pay pretty well (75 for 2 1/2 hours) but I just have to ask here, just putting this out there for other people.
    Thanks guys and/or gals for your help.

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What is that? Is it known by another name elsewhere?

Sorry. :eek:

Anyways, I think a good job for you (as a 14 or 15 year old) would be to work as a tutor. You'd be surprised to see how many parents want their kids to keep up with basics like math and English over the summer. You can walk to their houses (choose homes around you) and make a decent sum.

Technically you'd only really be able to tutor younger kids (which you may not want to do) so that's kind of a limiting factor for you.

Do you have good grades?