Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm going shopping for some liquors tomorrow, any tips/advice on what liquors to get for a starting bar? Nothing too complicated (or expensive!) but a good starter set that I can make some good mixes and shots with.

Other than the staple vodka (and maybe rum), I'm sticking to the tasty and unique for now... I'm eyeing Baileys and that Starbucks liqueur for one. White Russians, anyone?

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
ok i am drunk right bnw,... at this precise minute, so my advice t u is .... Tequila...i t is a charmer for the ladies...well atleaast tey like it

AND ofcouse sambuca, ...., an d mabe some baieleys, u know that milk stufd

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
If you want to make yummy "girly" drinks, sweet stuff like peach schnapps, blue curacao (which is mainly fun because it's blue!), etc. are fun.

The basics are vodka, rum, gin, tequila, and whiskey (although if you don't invite many salty old men to your parties, you can probably do wihtout). Irish Cream is fun, as is coffee liquor.

If you're on a budget, keep in mind that for a lot of liquor, there really isn't any perceptable difference, especially with mixed drinks. If you're sipping scotch, you'll easily notice the difference between various single malts and blends; if you're shooting ice-cold vodka, you'll never notice the difference between Gray Goose ($40) and Smirnoff ($12). So buy cheap (but not quite bottom-of-the-barrel). Tia Maria is probably 1/3 the price of whatever starbucks is putting out, but it makes a fine black Russian. Baileys I'm not so sure about. I remember not liking one cheap Irish cream I tried, so that might be one to splurge on.

Also generic cans of tonic water, ginger ale, cola, soda water, and canned juices are a good way to gear up towards a full-service bar. Without the little cans, it's too inconvenient to have all kinds of juices available and you'll usually have to settle for one or two.

Applespider

macrumors G4
My 'drinks' cabinet consists of

Vodka (plus various flavours of - vanilla/raspberry/mandarin)
Gin
Rum
Kahlua
Bailey's
Amaretto (on occasion)
Bitters

These days, it's more fun to make cocktails that have interesting fruits in them - muddled limes and raspberries for example... than icky blue/pink gloop

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
dornoforpyros said:
what? you mean there's other liquors out there besides beer, crown royal and jager? Damn who knew :p

I only drink Colt 45, *****. Colt Fourty-Fiiiiive.

And you really should have vodka and scotch in the bar. That's primary.

The next things you need are Baileys and Kahlua, at least 3 fruity liqueurs (eg: the yellow bottle, green melon, and the blue curacao (sp?)), coconut rum, some cans of juice, coke, orange crush, pineapple juice, and any other cans you can get, peach schnapps, limes, and that's all I can think of right now.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
poopyhead said:
tequilla (cabo wabo or tres generations)
gin (bombay sapphire)
vodka (absolut or grey goose)
tripple sec or contrieu or blue caraco (needed for margaritas)
bourbon/whiskey (makers mark or knob creek)
rum (bacardi select)
I second the bombay saphire, at least 3 liters of it. Its the finest stuff I know...
Vodka, go with the goose.
Rum, go amber or dark, much more flavor. I prefer Mount Gay.
Burbon, go with Bookers. Its expensive (I gues not good for a starter bar), but at 126 proof, you dont need much to get your grove on.
Not a big tequilla guy so can't offer anything there.

Here is a good "girly" drink. 2oz bicardi limon, 2 oz absolute mandarin, a heathy dose of fresh lime and/or lemon wedges Shaken or stirred, whichever you prefer, and tonic to smooth it out. It is very refreshing and perfect for a hot day in the sun.

I don't know what you call it officially, I just made it up one day while on vacation with my wife and in-laws. My mother in law has coined it the "Hanna" (my last name)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I recently undertook a similar project in the fall ... I would suggest building it up with things you like and things you want to try. (I don't carry any gin at the moment because I don't like it, plain and simple as that) Most people are more than willing to try a free drink when you offer to make them one, its an amazing thing!

That being said, I started with all the things you need to make a long island ice tea, i've yet to make one but I have all the liquor and its a solid foundation. Theres a big difference between booze you plan on mixing and booze you plan on sipping especially for things like tequilla. I have a cheap bottle to throw in a margartia and I have a nice bottle to server with some crushed ice ... then again I like tequilla. You can do the same with vodka although I only stock a mixing quality because I can't drink the stuff otherwise.

I would also advise bargain hunting, see something you really like on sale ? get two or three (also great if you forget to shop for a gift).

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
My old college tip for you: If you are on a bit of a budget and buying Vodka: Pick up a Brita pitcher and some $11 1.75 plastic bottle stuff. Filter it 3-4 times and you have some damn fine mixing vodka or straight up. People will think you spent a fortune on it. Absolutely zero bite after the filtering :cool:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm a sort of co-manager/helper out at my cousins pub. One of my morning duties is to stock up the fridge and check the sprits.
Let me first say that I've no idea about the names. I don't drink so I run off how they look and my pet names for them.
WKD (the blue one) is very very popular right now. 2 fridges have 4 rows of 5 bottles and they go in a night.
Smirnoff Ice goes very well too. Mostly on student nights.

far as beers (bottled) are concerned heres a run down starting with most popular.

Becks
Budweiser
Pilsner something
Holsten pills
Peroni (Perogi :p to the Poles out there)
Kalibre (alcohol free! hah)
Corona

the JW Bells whiskey bottle needs replacing constantly. extremely popular. Ditto for Baileys.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Kwyjibo said:
Theres a big difference between booze you plan on mixing and booze you plan on sipping especially for things like tequilla. I have a cheap bottle to throw in a margartia and I have a nice bottle to server with some crushed ice ... then again I like tequilla. You can do the same with vodka although I only stock a mixing quality because I can't drink the stuff otherwise.

Best suggestion yet. People who mix nicer vodka, tequila or whiskey with anything other than ice should be shot. ;)

I love going to Frat parties and seeing these morons mixing Patron with orange juice or Greygoose with apple pucker. It's such a waste of money, if you are gonna add mixers to your liquor, get the cheap stuff.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
2 things:
Get Triple Sec for perfect Margaritas (and an ice machine if it's warm where you are)
And get PodTender - cocktail recipes downloaded to your iPod. Pretend you're searching for the next tune whilst you mix up a drink.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
irish-james-botsm-85.jpg

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Airforce said:
My old college tip for you: If you are on a bit of a budget and buying Vodka: Pick up a Brita pitcher and some $11 1.75 plastic bottle stuff. Filter it 3-4 times and you have some damn fine mixing vodka or straight up. People will think you spent a fortune on it. Absolutely zero bite after the filtering :cool:

hehe I actually do this too because as I said, not a vodka fan usually except for the occasional vodka - water - lime. I actually found a glass decanter at the local thrift store and keep mine in that.

treblah said:
I love going to Frat parties and seeing these morons mixing Patron with orange juice or Greygoose with apple pucker. It's such a waste of money, if you are gonna add mixers to your liquor, get the cheap stuff.

I totally agree with this, especially when its a mixer that more or less nuetralizes the flavors of the alcohol.

I always keep some redbull and jager around too. Good to have a bomb right before you head out always makes for a fun night

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
iphil said:
wtf is jager? :confused: :eek:

i've seen it in stores but what is it :eek:

ahh jager....well, hmm now do I describe it. Well officially it's a herb liquor from Germany I believe. It sorta taste & smells like cough syrup, but not in a bad way.

It's basically a super fun shot to do when your out on the town ripping it up because it tends to get you wired (aka hyper). I dunno what it is, but when I drink it I don't get tired at all, it just keeps ya going all night.

ok, this is really vauge, I'll just say some of my best memories with my friends involve jager.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
dornoforpyros said:
ahh jager....well, hmm now do I describe it. Well officially it's a herb liquor from Germany I believe. It sorta taste & smells like cough syrup, but not in a bad way.

It's basically a super fun shot to do when your out on the town ripping it up because it tends to get you wired (aka hyper). I dunno what it is, but when I drink it I don't get tired at all, it just keeps ya going all night.

ok, this is really vauge, I'll just say some of my best memories with my friends involve jager.

Yep, that describes it just about right. Jager rocks!

Ok here's my shopping list:

Bailey's
Smirnoff Vodka
Rum
Irish Whiskey
Tia Maria
Tequila
Triple Sec
Jagermeister

non-alcohol:
milk
cheap generic canned fruit juices
cheap generic liter of cola
red bull

Missing anything?

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Airforce said:
Damn that is a mighty fine idea! I just tried it with gin and now I can almost drink it like water. Is this good or is this bad :confused:

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
poopyhead said:
bourbon/whiskey (makers mark or knob creek)
I second the Knob Creek. My brother got me a bottle for my birthday. Very very smooth. :cool: Also, if anyone drinks it other than straight or on the rocks, or takes a shot of it, PLEASE slap them! Good bourbon shouldn't be wasted like that.
Other than that, I pretty much agree with Kwyjibo.

iphil: Jägermeister looks, smells, and pretty much tastes like alcoholic licorice. Usually served cold (I've seen machines for this :eek: ) It also gives me heartburn. (like all other hard liquor :rolleyes: )

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Kwyjibo said:
you got a decent list, I think all you have to do now is find some mooches to come over and drink with ya.

That's no problem - actually that's the reason for all this - a slew of girls are coming over. Oh yeah!

Just got back from the shopping. Got everything, except Red Bull; what I found was $2.50 per can! JEEZ! Screw that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.