Good Mac games recommendation?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MXM, May 25, 2009.

1. MXM macrumors member

Can someone recommend some good games please? I'm getting a Macbook pro, and I've heard various compatibility/stability issues with games run on Mac. In particular, I don't want to run PC games on my Mac. I like strategy games (such as Civ, Age of Empire series), simulation games (such as SimCity), turn-based RPG and puzzle games. I've never played any of them on a Mac before and I don't know if they run smoothly on a Mac. Thanks.

2. lindstrom macrumors member

Civ 3+4 are available for the Mac, as well as SimCity 4 and AoE 3 + expansions. I have only tried Civ 3 and Aoe 3 but those do run quite well. Both on a MB and an MBP.

Think most of these are available via the Apple Store.

Happy gaming.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

4. Zagreus macrumors member

Zagreus

If you like turn based RPG's then I'd say buy KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic), it's a quality game but is getting on in years now, there's also the Age of Mythology Games, a bit like Age of Empires but with god powers and stuff, have played both of them and they are quality games.

5. MXM thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know KOTOR was a burn-based RPG as from its game gallery it looked like an action-based (like Fable). Also, does Civ4 run on a Macbook Pro well?

6. Zagreus macrumors member

Zagreus

KOTOR's a fusion of two, it's turn based to an extent but then is like Fable also sort of, you really have to play it to understand. But if you like RPG's and similar then it's a good game.

7. redraidermacman macrumors regular

8. gregorsamsa macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    There are some excellent proper Mac-native ports out there for strategy gamers. I have an iMac with Ati 2600 HD Pro card. I'm playing AoE 3 + both expansion packs (brilliant stuff!), Imperial Glory & Rise of Nations. Consider also, AoE 2, Age of Mythology & Rome: TW (proper Mac-native port by Feral, not Cider) out in a few weeks.

9. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

It's turned base if you use the cheat mode basically that makes it pause after every action. A pretty lame way to play the game as it feels better to play it real time action-wise. But you can make it "turned based" if you are not that quick. But yes, this is one of the better Star Wars games and it's sort of acclaimed because of the great immersion and storyline and the memorable NPC's that you get to know. They are making an MMO off this series.

10. Zagreus macrumors member

Zagreus

The MMO does look great, but no chance of that coming out for macs..... :mad::mad:

Did they ever release KOTOR 2 for Mac? I played it all the way through on PC but I'd love to play it again on my Macbook Pro.

11. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOTOR_2

Nope...as usual, if you want to play games, you'll have to bootcamp it or buy a separate computer.

I believe this series is one of the acclaimed turned-based RPGs...but not for Mac.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_Scrolls

The Sims is really popular on Mac but that's not a game you might like judging from your list.