Good Nigeria experience!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amd4me, Aug 8, 2007.

1. amd4me macrumors 6502

I recently sold an ACD 30" on another forum, to a man in Nigera!
    He was really cool, he told he knew about the scams and he would be more than happy to work with me on payment.
    He sent me a money order, I cashed it and had cash in hand before I shipped.
    The address her gave was in Nigeria he also gave me a home and work phone#.
    Really a good guy to sell to.

All in all good experience for me, his wasnt so good because he had to pay close to 400$ for shipping.

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

He is probably rich since he just discovered that millions of dollars of old Nigerian contract money is sitting in accounts waiting to be spent. He can afford the expensive shipping for his ACD.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Wow first time I've heard of a good experience from Nigeria!

4. WillMak macrumors 6502a

So those Nigerians asking for 1500 dollars for my macbook are legit aye...?

5. robPOD macrumors 6502

Wow, but I would never deal with anyone in nigeria.

6. WillMak macrumors 6502a

why!? ARE YOU RACIST!?

7. leumluath macrumors member

That foreign money order can still bounce after 2-3 weeks. Then the bank will want their money back.

Hope it turns out all right in the end.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Chill, Will.
    The reason is that a huge amount of the internet scams, frauds and advance-fee schemes originate from Western Africa, Nigeria in particular. Russia and the former soviet nations, and Singapore and Malaysia are also particular scammer hotspots.

amd4me:
    If you are the one in 10,000 that is lucky, then good on you. But I'm sorry to say, but you should have waited 4 weeks for the money order to clear - your bank advanced you money on it, but they have no way of knowing whether it will still clear the originating bank. Besides outright forgeries, it's a favorite trick to take a legitimate money order or company cheque, and alter the amount from say $15.00 to $1500.00

What happens in most of these cases is that the money order does not get rejected by your bank, but by the originating bank after someone complains at that end that signatures don't match or the item was unauthorized, or that it was altered or forged. Then the originating bank charges back your bank. Then your bank takes the money back from you or sues you for depositing a phony deposit.

9. wako macrumors 65816

exactly.... you probably just got scammed but you havent even realized it yet

10. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

amd4me, please post back on this thread after a few weeks if everything is still going OK. Personally, I've never made a sale out of North America just because of the high risk of fraud. That's not to say that everyone is a scammer, but the risk is just too high.

As it was posted before, fradulent money orders or cashier's checks take some time to "actually" clear... and quite often these 419 scammers and socially skilled at pulling off their cons and can make their mark feel totally at ease. I'm hoping that your transaction was fully legit and everything works out as planned... but keep us informed!

11. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I agree with CanadaRAM and ab2650 this situation just looks sketchy. I hope everything works out for you, but you may be down a cinema display.

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I hope it works out for you but I would not have taken the risk. I'd have found someone locally to sell a display to, I don't even think I would throw it on eBay, Craigslist or here. I'd post in our local forsale newsgroup and meet my buyer face to face and get cash in hand. Saves on hassle, "could you tell me how much to ship to Kansas", "he says it's damaged but it was working OK when I shipped it", etc.

Surely a man in Nigeria wanting an ACD could find a seller locally. Why pay $400 to ship from the USA?

13. Frisco macrumors 68020

Yeah fake money orders from Nigeria is one of their biggest scams. The bank cashes it at first, but then when the bank finds out it is a fake--they come after you for the money.

14. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but the bank my employer uses has specifically told us that we must not send cheques of any description to Nigeria for reasons of fraud.

Not an urban myth, nor a hand-me-down anecdote: my wife works in the Finance Dept of the same company as me and, shortly prior to the policy above coming into force, a cheque for ~£200 issued to a payee in Nigeria had miraculously increased to somewhere just over £30k when presented at our bank for payment. Had this cheque not tipped over the threshold where our bank automatically queried it, it would almost certainly have been paid.

<Eddie Izzard>True story. </Eddie Izzard>

Cheers!

Jim

15. WillMak macrumors 6502a

lol I was just being sarcastic with my are you racist remark. I too would never deal with anyone claiming to be from Nigeria.

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'd just like to throw in that I haven't had any particular problems doing business with Nigerians, though all my transactions have been business to business.

Good luck to the OP. I don't know the specifics of that type of money transfer, but if the bank truly can 'ask for their money back' then I sincerely hope your buyer was legit.

Trading with Nigeria is difficult. On one hand there are obviously legitimate buyers and sellers in the country, like in any. On the other, an overwhelming number of scams originate from there, and the media (and our inboxes) constantly remind us of this.

Personally, I wouldn't do personal trades purely on risk assessment.

17. Frisco macrumors 68020

I feel bad for the original poster: Now he is going to be out his ACD 30" + 400 for shipping!

18. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I bought a BMW from a Nigerian for a great price. But it was in person. He did ask me if I wanted him to put a cheaper price on the bill of sale to save on taxes. I opted no. Like anybody would believe I paid $500 for a M3. :rolleyes:

19. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I wouldn't deal with anyone in Nigeria through first hand experience as well. For reasons I won't go into I got scammed big on eBay about 2 years ago. Leaves a lasting bad impression.:mad:

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hope it all works out well for the poster.

I recently had an experience where we shipped some contract work out to someone in Serbia. Paypal isn't available in Serbia, so we had to use Western Union (who, by the way, still haven't realized that Serbia and Montenegro are now two different countries). We knew the risks, but it wasn't a lot of money and we were willing to take the chance.

Everything turned out great...the turnaround and communication were terrific and we were thrilled with every aspect of the job. As we wrapped things up, we got a nice note from guy thanking us for giving him the chance and noting that not many people would be willing to take a chance on working with people in his area. It was really quite touching that he appreciated our business so much.

Nigeria and Serbia are obviously two different places, and there are obviously good people and crooks everywhere, but it's really nice when you can find the good ones, wherever they may be.

21. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

There is a good chance the OP got suckered.

A simple google search will tell you about the money order scheme in Nigeria.

22. Queso macrumors G4

There's also a very good chance that this is part of a money-laundering operation. Dirty money comes to you, he gets and sells monitor, and all of a sudden he has nice clean money in his pocket.

Sorry, but even the Nigerians I know say they wouldn't trust a Nigerian.

23. edka macrumors member

why do you guys have to say only bad stuff about nigerians
    there are good people over there too
    as you know it's really hard to find electrornics in africa , there are some people who makes decent living and love gadgets and there are willing to spend money on it
    i know nigerians have really bad reputation but not all of them are like that
    everywhere you go you will find good people and bad ones so please don't generalise everything

thanks

24. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

In combination of all I've heard not only on the internet, but Nigerian friends at work an uni, as well as Nigerian folk that have worked for friends and relatives, one thing I've learnt is that fraud and deception are just a way of life in Nigeria. That's not to say everyone in Nigeria is a con artists, but just that to earn money in such a way is not regarded with the stigma that it is here. The popular attitude appears to be if you managed to convince them to hand the money over to you, then you deserve it.

I'd never deal with any Nigerian business for that reason.

25. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You are completely correct, of course. However, the honest people GENERALLY do not go trolling craigslists 6,000 miles away, nor pay $400 shipping for a piece of used equipment. I would prefer to protect my money while patiently waiting for the one in 10,000 overseas internet approaches that is actually an honest trader. I am not kidding, we have had probably 2,000 fraudulent attempts to buy from us, most from Nigera, plus southeast Asia and Eastern Europe, primarily, then followed by the USA. I have never had a single honest purchaser from West Africa contact us.