Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
This is a tongue-in-cheek(y) post, right? I mean I got a chuckle out of the op's post but then I see all these serious responses...
So, OK, I'll bite. You were joking, yes? I know, I know, answering a question about whether or not something is a joke makes it less funny and all but I won't get any sleep now until I know if I am that stupid or not!
:eek:

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
This is a tongue-in-cheek(y) post, right? I mean I got a chuckle out of the op's post but then I see all these serious responses...
So, OK, I'll bite. You were joking, yes? I know, I know, answering a question about whether or not something is a joke makes it less funny and all but I won't get any sleep now until I know if I am that stupid or not!
:eek:

Yeah, I'd like to know too. The OP has been suspiciously quiet, either due to their chuckling over our spinning wheels, or the realization of his deal-gone-south. I thought it was real at first, but I wouldn't be surprised if its a hoax on closer inspection. Only the OP can tell us.

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Chill, Will.
The reason is that a huge amount of the internet scams, frauds and advance-fee schemes originate from Western Africa, Nigeria in particular. Russia and the former soviet nations, and Singapore and Malaysia are also particular scammer hotspots.

amd4me:
If you are the one in 10,000 that is lucky, then good on you. But I'm sorry to say, but you should have waited 4 weeks for the money order to clear - your bank advanced you money on it, but they have no way of knowing whether it will still clear the originating bank. Besides outright forgeries, it's a favorite trick to take a legitimate money order or company cheque, and alter the amount from say $15.00 to $1500.00

What happens in most of these cases is that the money order does not get rejected by your bank, but by the originating bank after someone complains at that end that signatures don't match or the item was unauthorized, or that it was altered or forged. Then the originating bank charges back your bank. Then your bank takes the money back from you or sues you for depositing a phony deposit.
Well it was a western union money order.
There was no bank account attached to it, its the same as cash.

why do you guys have to say only bad stuff about nigerians
there are good people over there too
as you know it's really hard to find electrornics in africa , there are some people who makes decent living and love gadgets and there are willing to spend money on it
i know nigerians have really bad reputation but not all of them are like that
everywhere you go you will find good people and bad ones so please don't generalise everything

thanks

I was just about to say, the prices for electronics in Africa(if you can find what you are looking for) are absolutely ridiculous. I have shipped items to Rwanda,Ethiopia and the cities of Durban and Lagos with no prolems other than customs.

I have been aroud the block and I would not let myself get scammed over such a big ticket item. About a month ago I sold a pair of B&W Nautilus to a woman in lagos, and all went well.

You are completely correct, of course. However, the honest people GENERALLY do not go trolling craigslists 6,000 miles away, nor pay $400 shipping for a piece of used equipment. .

It was NIB

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Just because you get cash doesn't mean that it cleared. It just gives the bank permission to take that money out of your account at a later date if it does not clear.

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Well it wont bounce because he actually walked into an office to do the deed.
Nothing was sent to me, I had to go to a western union office.

So if it bounces it isnt my problem.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006

So you put this money order into your bank account?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Do USPS money orders have that same risk? I was under the impression that once they deem them valid when you go to cash it in there's no way they can come after you for money if it was fake. However last time they asked for my driver's license number, so now I'm not so sure...

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Do USPS money orders have that same risk? I was under the impression that once they deem them valid when you go to cash it in there's no way they can come after you for money if it was fake. However last time they asked for my driver's license number, so now I'm not so sure...

Well, if he deposited the M/O, that is a problem. I found that most places won't give you cash especially if it is a lot.

I sold an iMac last year. They sent an M/O. I was quite worried. There are ways for banks to tell if it is real. There is a number they can call to make sure it was paid for and issued by a Post Office.

Could they come after you for the money? Oh yeah. That is fraud. Who did it doesn't matter, you were the casher. Hope it works out.

kwong2006

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
I am not racist, but I will never, ever deal with Nigerians. At least not until their commercial reputation improves (which will take a loooong time)

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006

No no I got cash from western union I guess moneygram is the correct term,

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I guess it stands to reason that there plenty of legitimate and honest Nigerians out there and I'd never really considered how challenging their lives must be having to work around the (well-deserved) reputation their country has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.