Good or bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoomungus, Oct 14, 2009.

?

time machime as warmer?

1. Good idea

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Bad idea

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Beyond stupid

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. zoomungus macrumors member

Ok, Im thinking that this is one dumb question but here go's, I have a time machine and it gets hot so I was thinking of putting my coffee cup on it to keep it warm, is this a really dumb thing to do? maybe its just a blonde day?

Braced for your answers

Roy

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Liquid/electronics + gravity = fail

I think that about covers it. ;)

3. zoomungus thread starter macrumors member

Hey, I think your all being alittle negative here, it sits on the left hand side of my desk with the coffee cup next to it, if I covered it say with a platter from a hard drive to stop any stains and transfer heat it could be safe. I have never knocked coffee or any liquid over any of my machines ever and Im not mr sausage fingers

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Say your prayers, TC....

5. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

6. zoomungus thread starter macrumors member

Yep this is the route to take!

using the tc was one of those that "seemed a good idea at the time" thang but Im thinking that maybe its best left well alone and Im going to move the tc elsewhere not coffee related, apple could help tho and build a coffee friendly heating tc

7. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

when you compare the cost of the usb cup warmer which is pittance to the price of a new timemachine, you would have to be raving to not buy the cup warmer at the potential risk of forking out hundreds for a new TM ;)

you cant really blame apple for missing such an idea, added to that if apple did ever make something suited to that end, how much would it end up costing? prolly be more then 2.99 ;)

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

9. zoomungus thread starter macrumors member

10. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

11. zoomungus thread starter macrumors member

Well the idea of using the tc as a coffee warmer is not so stupid, in fact thats all its really good for, I wont be keeping any critical data on this hot potato,ffs!

Heres a quote from the above thread

"They run crazy hot - Longevity doesn't strike me as an attribute of them. Sticking in slightly more expensive than the cheapest-of-the-cheap drives (found in the Mac 'Pro') and calling it 'Server Grade' isn't exactly a defense against heat death either... "

makes me wonder how long my :apple:tv will last, I may take out the internal and run a patchstick external drive

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Based on mine, I wouldn't worry too much. My :apple:tv's been running 24/7 since shortly after they were released. I've upgraded the HD twice, but otherwise it just hums along (250GB in there now). I don't put anything on top or next to it, so it has good airflow around it. I have to admit I do notice the heat when I dust it, but I just shrug and forget about it.

13. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Sure why not, if you've not got a history for being a clutz then shouldn't be a problem. although would it stop you taking breaks, only ask because a lad at my uni developed a usb mug warmer 10 years ago to demonstrate the significance of usb for win 98 over 95 and it was given a crap mark for breach of work place safety as it may encourage people to work too long without breaks. (i kid you not).