Good place to buy memory + Hard drives in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stimpycat, Aug 16, 2007.

1. stimpycat macrumors regular

Hello, my Mac Pro arrived today and I would like to stick one or two extra gigs of memory in it - I am aware of crucial (that's where I got most of my PC memory from) but I know no other places that perhaps could be cheaper?

I also need an external hard drive plus another internal drive which I will buy at the same time - so if any one out there can recommend a good on-line store in the UK please do share!

2. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - may I also add a question. Is it better to backup on an external drive or to buy an internal and use that?

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

4. hogmog macrumors member

I agree with notsofatjames - have used both for non-memory purchases. You could also look at www.overclockers.co.uk - they score points in my book for reliability and good customer service (which is more than can be said for ebuyer who have mucked me about no end on last few orders - thay might be the cheapest but....). Memory - Crucial or Kingston (see www.kingston.com/uk) Crucial is usually the cheaper of the two but Kingston, who sell through third parties such as SMC (you will see these when you go through the purchase process), can sometimes have a bargain. Dare I say it but if you are passing a PC World store (or even their website) there can be a bargain around - not often but sometimes.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Depends on what you are afraid of. If someone breaks into your office and steals the MacPro, then you would be glad about that backup on an external drive hidden somewhere in a cupboard. And in case of fire, that same external harddrive taken home would be even more handy.

And you would usually have the external backup disk disconnected, so it is protected against user stupidity as well. :rolleyes:

6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I also normally get my stuff from ebuyer. Bargain cheep and reliable.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

Overclockers has a horrid reputation generally, and ebuyer is ok, until you need to return stuff. However, still worth a punt.

In general, this forum (free registration required) is worth keeping tabs on, although heavily PC biased.

Otherwise, for memory: Shopmagenta is not bad at all.

If you know what you are looking for, just remember to use Froogle.co.uk, kellko.co.uk and pricegrabber.co.uk to get the cheapest deals.

There are a lot of useful links at the following sites for all sorts of bargains:

Daveham

Hot UK Deals

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Totally agree, back ups should be in a different physical location if possible.