Good Printer Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abz1981, Nov 26, 2011.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

HI all

I have had a nightmare of 2 days in trying to get a printer for my 2011 MBA which has Lion OS X. First of all I bought a HP laserjet one, which gave me endless wireless connection issues, where it simply won't connect at all.

So I returned that back to the store. Now I got a Samsung laser jet printer, which I have now found out is not supported on Lion OSX, even though it says it is on apple's website. So had problems with that.

Ideally wanted a laser jet printer for less than £100. Now my options are gone. now thinking of going back with a ink jet printer.

Does anyone have any advise of a good reliable not so expensive ink jet printer, that is wireless and is compatible with Lion OS X?

thanks in advance

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have a Canon inkjet all-in-one printer (print, scan, copy) that is Lion compatible. Mine is not wireless, but I assume that Canon wireless would be Lion compatible if mine is. Also, Canon has it's own app for printing, creating PDF's, email, etc.

Just suggesting that you check out Canon printers. They should be Lion compatible, and they won't beak the bank.:D

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I have the Canon MX870, works great. MX882 is the newer model.

4. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

hey thanks for the replies. I will check it out the cannon ones then, are the ink replacement costs reasonable for cannon?

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

For my printer (small Pixma MP490) the Black ink cartridge is about $26 and the color cartridge is about $28.

Not cheap, but I'm a pretty light user, so it's not a big problem for me. I don't know how those prices compare with other printer ink cartridges.

I'm happy with my Canon, although I wouldn't want to do much copying on it - it takes FOREVER. Otherwise I'm real pleased with it.:D

6. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

We have had exceptionally good luck with a Brother MFC-9840CDW. It has been a workhorse with the least amount of hassles. I have used them all Canon, HP, Epson...

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I have experience with the brother 2040, 2140, and 2240, all cheap, around $50 on sale. For a basic b+w laser, it's one of the best.

8. wordoflife, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have a Brother DW2270 (something like that) which prints wirelessly and on both sides of the pages. It works between 5 computers (1 Mac, 4 PC) and it works well. No problems at all.

I only paid $99 for it. The only thing that concerns me is that a replacement drum is ~$85, which at that point it would just make sense to buy a new printer.