Good PSP RPGs?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll probably be getting a PSP just before Xmas, only I'm bit new to RPG's, sorta. I've only played a few over the years. Which ones should I be looking out for?

Something nice and lengthy with plenty of character customisation would be nice, like FF7 (which I'll be playing :)).

2. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Check out Monster hunter freedom, the load screens suck, but the strategy is fun. Not really and RPG but still a fun game. I think there is a new version coming out soon, I hope it is even better.

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The first one grabbed my attention and the 3rd one is coming out on the Wii. I'll definitely be picking up MH2 to tide me over (and learn what the frig it's about :p)

What about these SaGa and Valkyrie [sp?] games?

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

There's a Kingdom Hearts prequel coming soon...:)

5. Agilus macrumors regular

I don't have a PSP, but I saw that there is at least one game in Namco's Tales series (e.g. Tales of Symphonia). I have a relative who has a PSP, and the Tales game he showed me looked pretty good, although I don't remember what the name was.

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I hear the new Disgaea (Afternoon of Darkness) is incredible, I will be picking that one up myself.

FF Tactics (War of the Lions) is also supposedly really really good (despite being a remake).

Both are not 'traditional' rpgs in the sense but supposedly really great games. ;)

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Both are orgasmic...well maybe not but they are awesome. Disgaea is really funny and was a classic on the PS2 and it great on the PSP. Considering you can level up to 9999 and there is a dungeon that never ends... lots of saving and character building.

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I think I'll be skipping that Lion War game. I've got the original PS1 version sitting next to me, I'll just dump that myself *shrugs*. I hear the lag is emulated in the new version too.

Is there anything basic but with fantastic plot and progression, like a Golden Sun or FF7 too?

9. Kwub macrumors newbie

Tales of Eternia is probably the best non-strategy RPG on the PSP to date. Best in series by far, if you ask me.

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I've ordered one now.

M33-3, no dead pixels, no ghosting.
    6 games (can only remember Tomb Raider Legends, GTA:LCS)
    i-Robot and Advent Children

Only a 32mb memory card so I can't play my ripped PS1 games yet :eek:

Got Valkyrie and Tales of the World on order.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Well, the PSP version has new cinemas, a few new classes, and a new (way, way better) translation.

The original succeeded in spite of crappy localization. The PSP version does away with that particular vice.

12. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I'm playing FF1 now on my PSP and I love it. Yeah I know it's the exact same game as already rereleased on PS1 and GBA, and some people think it should have gotten the 3D treatment 3 did and 4 is getting on the DS, but I dunno, being brought up on 2D RPGs on the SNES back in the day, there is just something really sweet about one more beautiful, crisp 2D RPG rather than PS1-quality 3D graphics. :)

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oops, I meant Tales of Eternia.

I won't be bothering with FF1 and 2. I mean if the GBA can fit 2 on 1 cart, why didn't they put 1 and 2 on a single UMD? Unless they're in some super cheap bargain bin I won't bother with these again.

Also ordered FF Tactics. Just read that PS1 games have black borders since they're not in widescreen. That's enough reason for me!

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Hey, you can't buy a PSP, you're anti-Sony. Return it! :D

I can't stand Memory Sticks. I still have my old 128 sticks laying around.

Anyway, I'm tempted to get one, but I can wait.

<]=)

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I go with the sway! Since the DS hasn't been entertaining me much lately. The only system I don't have is a 360 now :eek:

Oh yea, bought a 4gb memory card just now!

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

EVIL!!! :p

I've been playing Super Mario Bros lately. I'm looking for a RPG fix though. :( I'm going to get Dementia The Ward. It has an old school PC feel about it -- could be the graphics -- and it has been getting good feed back for the most part.

The only thing stopping me from getting a PSP is the thought of an iPod Touch running SCUMMVM. :)

<]=)

17. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I've just started up on ScummVM DS. It's pretty damn incredible, especially seeing it play my old Sam and Max CD with speech.

I never thought about Harvest Moon! Used to like that back on the PS1. Might be worth another shot.

Oh yea, is there some kind of demo service for the PSP that doesn't involve the PC or PS3?

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I don't think my version has speech support for Sam & Max. IMust download the new version right now!!! :eek:

If I get a PSP, the first thing I'll do is put SCUMMVM on it. It's on my Clié, PocketPC, and even my Nokia N70. I didn't know about the iPhone version until last week. It's reason enough for me to get one.

I've only seen the store PSP displays for demos, I don't recall them offering any wireless service. Sony's Mac support outside of cameras has always sucked. They really need to do something about that, especially now days.

<]=)

20. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I couldn't use it without mouse or touch screen support. The DS version is almost perfect barring the scaled resolution (but with some good top screen options) and lack of memory for Monkey Island 3.

21. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Sorry to bring this topic back up again. Also ordered that Disgaea [sp?] and looking at Legend of Heroes. Looks sorta like Golden Sun.

Is Joanne De Arc [again sp!] good? The trailers look nifty and online reviewers seem to like it - but we know they're hard to trust :D

Couple more games then I'll call it quits till I've finished most of them.

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Yeah, just load up the PSP browser, then go to bookmarks, then go to 'PSP' and it will take you to Sony's PSP homesite. Sign up for a PSU account (just needs email/name) and you can download some demos/pics/movies straight from the PSP browser onto the system. Loco Roco is on there :D

Disgaea is sweet, Legend of Heroes I found to be great...except the battle system is so ****ing slow! It takes too damn long to fight so i got bored. I like quick ass random battles. And Jeanne D'Arc is a pretty good strat game. Kind of generic mechanic wise and the story is a little meh, but it looks damn pretty and was fun.

23. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(not to interrupt)
    Sweet, thank you for the tip...I got my Star Wars PSP pack last week and just ordered a 4gb ms pro duo from frys for $39 shipped ;)

it'll be nice to be able to go download demos on the PSP ala the 360, i love that feature

I haven't played it yet or anything but everything I've seen - Disgaea on the PSP will be my next title
    (right now I have the GoW demo, SW:Battlefront which is sweet, Lumines, and I bought WipeOut Pure yesterday)

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I heard nothing but good things for this game.....the reviews are good as well. One of my friends that work on set with me was playing it the other day and he seemed very much into it.

Bless

25. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I watched a trailer for that JDA game and it was just a cartoon. They forgot to show any gameplay. :confused:

Have you got any emulators working on your PSP yet jimmmmmmiiii? Like a Genesis emulator. :)

<]=)