Good Quality Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacPM8, Jun 10, 2008.

1. MacPM8 macrumors regular

Looking for some good quality speakers and best bang for buck to connect to my MBP. Im looking at mainly the 2.1 systems. Currently I have the Logitech X240. It has a lot of buzz and noise disturbance when I put on my desk lamp or when my cell is near by there is also a lot of distortion. So my question is, whats the best speaker bang for buck, what's an attractive set of speakers and what will not have this noise problem when other electronics are on? Thanks for the help. :apple:

2. MacPM8 thread starter macrumors regular

Was interested in the Logitech Z-10 but I heard the LCD is only Windows compatible. Any thoughts? Thanks.

3. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

It's called GSM buzz and you'll have it completely regardless of which speakers you own, unless you manage to track some down that guarantee against it. Your other option is to switch to verizon as I seem to remember not getting it with them (different radio, CDMA). Sorry!

4. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers sound amazing, considering they're only 2.0. You can sometimes find them as low as $50 after rebate. There's plenty of bass in these suckers! :D
    They also make a larger set, the T40.

5. Y-Guy macrumors newbie

I have a buzz problem with my old Boston Acoustic speakers that I repainted, seems like the mac amp sleeps at times. My issue seems to be more a lack of shielding in the speakers and the wiring. You may want to adjust the placement of the speakers too. Any electrical device can interfere. The GSM buzz is very annoying, one reason I keep my cell phone out of arms reach.

As for speakers, I'm still undecided on what to get but for the space and price i am leaning to the Bose Companion 2.0 set.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Klipsch makes a decent 2.1
    Altec Lansing's FX6021's are my current favorite 2.1 for under $200

With all that said, I still prefer a decent set of monitors, the sub won't be needed and my monitor's still pick up my iPhone buzz. Maybe 3G would solve that...:confused:

7. MacPM8 thread starter macrumors regular

I like the Bose Companion Series 3 but it's pretty damn pricey. The Creative looks quite appealing. I wonder if its wall mountable. :apple:

8. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Personally "bang for buck" i heard these monitors a while ago and the blew me away considering theyre quite small.

http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/8020a/

Possibly considered expensive though, but i guess its worth different things, whats your price range more specifically?

9. MacPM8 thread starter macrumors regular

Those seem pretty nice. My range is $150~. I am heavy into audio but with so many speakers out its hard to keep up.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

some m-audio's maybe?

11. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

There's a perfect solution to your budget and hunt for quality.

I purchased the Swan M10s after reading all over the internet about them. They're literally the 'sleeper' of desktop speakers. I ordered a set on Tuesday this week.. looking for them to arrive tomorrow or Monday at latest.

The only downside is.. the sub must be placed on the desk (because it's directional.. for best results). But you honestly cannot beat the Swans in their price range. If you google the Swan M10s, you'll find a huge wealth of information on audiophile forums all over the internet.

If you are looking for a sub to blow tiles off of your roof, then go for the Logitechs/Klipsch/Bose. The Swans triumph in sound and build quality (and they are cheaper too.. came out to $124 shipped).

They're pearl white/black housing with golden cones and gloss black tweeters. They will look beautiful with your mac.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. I'll try to get a few set-up shots posted when it arrives :cool:.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

seconded, used these with my iPod, great speakers, they eventually failed however and I just upgraded to monitors for everything...so I guess just becareful and don't blow your tweeters out...

13. MacPM8 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks for the info, I think im going to possible go with the Harman Kardon Sound Sticks II, im getting it for a good price as well. I really want the bose companion 3 but its out of my price range.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a set of Altec Lansings that are 4.1 and I bought them probably in 2000. They still rock. Unless you go with Bose, I'd recommend something from them. Make sure you get one with a power button and bass & treble controls ON THE SPEAKERS. I hate those POS speakers without controls where you can get to them.

As far as the buzz, you can't avoid it unless you find GSM-shielded speakers. It's gonna be a lot of extra money and I don't even know if they're made for computers.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You might want to get somethingelse...the HK's are really outdated...go to the Apple store and compare them, you then will probably realize that unless you like the really cool design of the HK's, your money for 2.1's are better spent the Altec's or on the M-Audio Monitors...

16. MacBoy08 macrumors newbie

i have this setup too

they buzz alot so i am interested in upgrading..i work at best buy in the computers dept. The trend is bose..or klipshe makes a kick a 2.1 setup...

ive heard JBL too

17. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I've been looking at speakers too and I'm also leaning toward HK

18. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

Altec's aren't really that great.. bass distortion gets the worst of any 2.1 computer speaker setup out there. I've auditioned the M-Audios.. if you like tinny bass, then by all means, pounce!

Just curious, how did you blow out your tweeters on the Swans? How high did you adjust your gain? It was probably an issue of distortion and not build quality.. HiVi is pretty popular with the DIY crowd, and their 2.1's are no exception.

Again, I suggest the Swan M10s (for accuracy), or the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s (if you game and love bass). Bottom line is, these are the top two players in consumer desktop speaker setups.

19. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Where the devil did you find Swan M10s? I've looked everywhere for them, I can't seem to find any site that still carries them. Newegg, Amazon, hell, even eBay has nothing.

20. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Aego M's. Honestly, really really good 2.1 speakers for I about $200 I think.

21. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

You can find the Swan M10s here. I kinda wished newegg still stocked them.. (cheaper and faster shipping) but whatever :(.

22. Chilz0r macrumors regular

Anybody had a look at the Jamos i300, I'm looking at getting those, but not 100% sure? does the iPod dock on the remote work with the iPod Touch?

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The Acoustic Energy Aego looks like a good choice for those who want something for computer only. I have Acoustic Energy Evo One. Many audiophile magazines rated them as best in its class.

BTW, for some people with buzzing, that might be a GROUND LOOP issue. Ground Loop Isolator can be bought for fix that if that's the issue. An external sound card, USB or Firewire can also disconnect the ground loop issue.

24. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

Wholeheartedly agree. Fantastic 2.1 speaker system.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well...let me rephrase my earlier statement, my brother blew them out. They were great before the Apple HiFi for a simple iPod, but I'd still like even the M-Audio monitors.

Speaking of which, Cambrige Sound...my first pair of 2.1's, five years old still sound as accurate. And they are like $90 now. Not the greatest thing on the eyes, but were are talkign about what's for your ears.