Good source for a Hex Core? Getting tired of waiting for a refurb...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mds, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mds, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

mds macrumors 6502

Hey guys!

I'm hot to pick up a hex core, but budgetary concerns are pushing me towards a refurb. I've seen one pop up, but it was gone before I could put it in my cart. Anyone know a good alternative to a refurb or another source other than Apple?

Thanks!!

Mike

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

MacMall sometimes has a small discount off Mac Pros. However, my question is, why do you so badly want a Hex core?

3. mds thread starter macrumors 6502

My primary purpose for this machine is to run Pro Tools and I want as much processing power as possible. PT is not optimized very well for lots of cores, so the high clock speed is very desirable. It will run plugins on other cores, however, so the extra cores would be useful. The hex seems like the perfect compromise of clock speed and cores.

I meant to put this in the Mac Pro forum, so if an admin would like to move it, that'd be great! Thanks!

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I assume you can replace the quad-core processor in a MP 5.1 with a hex-core one, unlike the 4.1 models.

5. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

I am a Logic user and went for the 3.2 quad due to Logic not dealing with more than 8 cores (4 + 4 HT) well presently. I also have the option of hooking my MacBook Pro up via GbEthernet and using Logic nodes to run effects remotely.

As long as you are certain ProTools is good with the 6 + 6 HT cores, it should be a great machine.As I'm sure you know, you need lots of RAM. I haven't seen anyone really discounting the 2010 Pros yet. B&H Photo has the hex core, but it is at list price. Of course you would avoid sales tax assuming you are not in NY.

The other option is to find a friend that is eligible for either an educational or employer discount to buy it for you. I got about 6% off through my employer.

There are some really good deals still on left over 2009 quads.

6. allbald macrumors member

To second what hellhammer said -- this is what I did:

I bought the low end config at BH Photo (saved me taxes in CA)

and bought the hex core for $899 on ebay.

I was able to sell my w3530 for only $230 or so. Over all about $680 for the upgrade versus apples $1200 + tax charge.

Machine is working fine so far.

7. silby101 macrumors member

I created a script to let you know the minute the hex gets put into the refurb store. That's how I got mine. If you really have your heart set on getting it from Apple, this can help you out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1029903