Good ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baxingo, Jan 24, 2011.

1. baxingo macrumors member

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, but I'd wait right now if I were you. Intel is about to (sometime this quarter) release new SSDs in their line up that will be faster, and way cheaper per GB. Also, more power efficient. Intel, as SSDs go, is one of the best out there; although SandForce is coming down strong.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There have been some issues with the SandForce based drives in Macs but I'm not sure about their current situation. It's a great SSD though, very fast and reasonably priced.

If you don't need it now, you could wait. 25nm SSDs should be out soon along with price cuts

4. baxingo thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks, and for looking for a mac ssd, is there anything seperate I have to look for to make sure its compatable with mac? And size or anything?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as it's 2.5" SATA, it should work.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The majority of SSDs are 2.5", which is what you need to fit them into a MacBook Pro. Just be sure its said dimension.

Other than that, do not buy in into the "Mac" drive BS. Mac drives are just another way of draining your wallet. A regular SSD will work just as fine as the Mac counterpart.

7. baxingo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for your help and fast responses! I do not need it now, I am just pricing out things at the moment.