good time to buy an iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaronw1986, Dec 17, 2007.

1. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I've really gotten interested into getting an iPod Touch, and jailbreaking it. They've been out 3 months, so I can't figure out if this is a good time to get one or not. I would kind of want 32GB, but I don't know if that will happen any time soon. Any thoughts? I have a 30GB video I'll probably keep, so I guess that could always store my full collection, and the Touch could be more of a toy/hackable device.

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

We've nothing to go on with the touch really, but the other iPods seem to get an update around September after the Back to School campaigns. The 16GB touch is a fine device; correct 32GB would be great, but so would 64, 80 etc :p Gotta take what you're given.

Jailbreaking on 1.1.2 is a stable affair now so I'd say just go for it.

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I really don't see an iPod touch update until June '08 or whenever Apple releases the 3G iPhone (which could be April or November.. whatever)... i think Apple learned from updating products so quickly from the last iPhone update (which cost them some cash), so yes... it's a good time to buy one.

Plus, now with full Calendar functionality, not to mention the Wifi, YouTube and other features... its not too shabby for a $299 purchase. :D

4. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Well obviously more space the better...but the sweet spot for me would be 32, since buy music library is around 12 GB's, and then there'd be room for other stuff.

5. andejp12 macrumors member

My music library is about 13.5GB and I only keep about 6GB of music on there currently. I then keep a couple movies, a handfull of tv shows (multiple episodes of the same series), and then podcasts (have all of the tekzilla podcasts so that's about the same as 12, thirty minute tv shows). Overall I was a little hesitant about the capacity but I find that if I want a piece of music on there that I hadn't loaded then I can just put it on there when I get home from work and then enjoy it even more the next day :)

As for a great time to buy, do it right now!

Assuming that you're in the US, Amazon has the 16GB for $360 with free shipping and no tax.

P.S. I don't think that Apple will be updating the touch until they also update the iPhone which even if announced at MacWorld Expo won't be released until July at the earliest (FCC testing etc...).

I have an 80GB 5.5G ipod video and I actually haven't touched it since I bought my touch about 2 months ago (it was to celebrate my new job :)).

6. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm just worried they might come out with a new touch within the next couple months...so, do you recommend the touch? Is yours jailbroken?

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

My library's 17GB, but I use ratings and made a smart playlist of all recently added tracks and tracks rated above 1... most tunes of worth are then added. Not complete, but I don't miss the other tracks.

8. bigp9998 macrumors regular

I wouldn't expect an update until next September or so. The iPod touch, believe it or not, is part of the iPod family, which usually gets updates once a year around September.

9. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I got my 8gb a few weeks after it released for $225 :D. Well worth it! I haven't jail broken it though. Haven't really found a need to though. I guess all those extra features would be cool on it. :p But I say get one now... it's a great toy. :D

10. JudasX macrumors newbie

patience is virtue.

wait one more year and you can buy a touch with more features that is more portable and has more memory.

the first few generations are never the best. If you use an ipod for utility, i suggest waiting. if you want to look cool with a new touch fresh off the line...than buy now. whatever works for you bro.

11. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I took the plunge, and am really enjoying it! I am one of those known for having the latest and greatest...so I could not resist.

12. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Hey, if you want the latest and greatest, there you go ;) Enjoy the new purchase, I've enjoyed playing with the iPod touches in the apple store. The multi touch display is just genius.

13. Richard.John macrumors regular

If you play the technology waiting game you will be waiting forever. Buy it if its fits in with your needs now. If not wait, but remember that the next next will come along at some point.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Simple yet excellent advice.

Further to this, I see the iPhone receiving the next update, probably at MWSF and probably in the form of a 16 GB model to complement the 16 GB iPod Touch. I don't think we will see an updated, 32 GB Touch until later in 2008.
    If you want to wait, fine, just know that you will probably be waiting quite some time.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

I hope the rumours are true and a 16 GB iPhone model is announced at MWSF- I'm moving to LA in February and that would work much better for me than the 8GB model. I just have way too much content to figure out what to put on and what to leave off of an 8 GB iPhone.

/can't wait to get away from this SNOW

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Meh, you live in Toronto, you don't know what REAL Canadian winter is... :p ;) :D

17. Surely Guest

Surely

I couldn't agree with you more on that. And, I live right downtown (I can see the CN Tower from the front of my building), so the snow is cleared real fast.
    I was in Montreal last weekend during the snowstorm, and THAT place got snow. I can't remember ever seeing that much snow. Glad I had the Pathfinder....
    I called home to Toronto to tell the family that all was well, and was told that it was snowing like crazy. When I drove back to Toronto on Tuesday, I was like, "It snowed here?":eek::confused:

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I've been to Toronto and Montreal in winter and know exactly what you mean. When business has taken me into the States it's even more amusing, as places like Chicago will shut down if they have a few centimeters of snow! :eek: Wimps... :p :D ;)

Good luck with the move to LA. :cool:

19. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Are you for real?

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, I lived in Chicago for 4 years attending grad school, and they sh*t themselves when some snow falls. Classes and labs were cancelled many times for a little snow. They just couldn't handle it there. It was pretty funny for all the Canadian students.

Thanks for the well-wishes.... we're really looking forward to the move.

Sorry for threadjacking you, aaronw1986. :p

21. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Right Ive searched all over and found loads of different guides, but do you think the people who have jailbroken their Touches could post the guide they followed, just for peace of mind that that guide works

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Isn't that true!

Simple yet effective way to put it.

Just think of all those folks who wait ... and wait ... and wait for the next greatest thing concerning upgrades.

23. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Darn it... I didn't expect the Touch to get updated this soon in 2008.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

Ok, so it wasn't announced at MWSF, but I'll take it! This announcement couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I'll be arriving in LA on the 14th, and I'll be buying a 16GB iPhone on the 15th. :D Huzzah!

25. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

big shock :eek: I bought my 16gb on release thinking that'd be the ceiling for a lot longer than it was