Good time to buy ipod touch???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sapphire08, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Sapphire08 macrumors member

Sapphire08

I'm thinking about going to buy an ipod touch tomorrow - is this a good time to buy???

I'm a fairly new apple convert and think the ipod touch will be a great addition to my imac.

Seen various threads on wait for the next new macbook etc and so was wondering is the a good time to buy or rather a bad time time to buy??

Any help or advice really appreciated

2. kevzy macrumors member

The second generation was released in September 2008. In February 2008 the first generation got a memory upgrade to 32GB. The same may happen this February to bring it to 64GB.

Personally, I am waiting for the 64GB even though no-one really knows when it will be released. I would leave it a few weeks until the end of February, you may be able to get a 32GB cheaper than it is now or even 64GB for the current price of the 32GB......

3. Sapphire08 thread starter macrumors member

Sapphire08

Thanks for the reply, I was mainly thinking of getting the 8GB one anyway so not sure if thats still relevant??

I mainly want it for surfing, Im'g and maybe a few games around the house - to save me keep running upstairs to check my mail and im stuff on my imac.

When waiting for friends to come online while watching tv for example, that sort of thing. So can't see me needing anything larger than 8GB really even with loads of songs on it!

4. milkypink macrumors newbie

As far as the 8GB version goes, you may still be better off waiting. If a 64GB version hits the market, the 8GB might be discontinued at worst or significantly discounted at best. Either way, you'd be likely to get a better prices if you waited just a bit. Or, you could get a 16GB for the same price as a 8GB, possibly.

5. Sapphire08 thread starter macrumors member

Sapphire08

6. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

A 64G version is just speculation, right? So price drops on the 8G (which I have) is also just speculation.
    I'd say go for it now. For your purposes, you don't need tons of memory. You can be enjoying the Touch now instead of maybe getting one later for a few bucks less.

7. kevzy macrumors member

Even though I'm waiting for the 64GB I agree with the above post. Presumably whenever the 64GB is released you will be able to get 16GB model for the current price of the 8GB model. If memory doesn't mean that much to you then you could be enjoying your iPod touch now instead of all this annoying waiting.

8. Jethro70 macrumors newbie

I went with this philosophy... ;)

I figure 32 GB is only 8 GB shy of the capacity of my Mac mini's HD (which still isn't full after 4 years), so it should do the trick for my needs. Just a few more days until mine shows up.

9. blueglide macrumors member

blueglide

I'm tired of waiting myself. I am planning on buying the 32GB on Monday and will be extremely mad if the 64GB came out a week later for the same price! I already have the apps I want downloaded and waiting in iTunes:) The 32 was announced last year on Feb 5th which was the first Tuesday. Today is the first Tuesday in February. And we've still heard nothing.

10. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I very much doubt that they will release a 64gb iPod touch anytime soon. Last year before the 32gb iPod touch update, some competitors like Creative and Sandisk already had 32gb out, signifying a significant drop in flash price. This year, no other company had come out with 64gb MP3 players. If you check flash prices, 64gb is still quite high. The possibility of an update this Feb is very slim. So I say just buy it now and enjoy.

11. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Well keeping it at 32gb would be completely absurd. If Apple wants to sell more Apps and have us use this thing properly as a movie device then they'll have to do way better than 32 Gigs, that is both pathetic and insulting in this day and age with the price of SSD dropping heavily and increasing in capacity. They could do 128gb without breaking a sweat and that would start being close to a minimum amount of memory for a device. Heck I managed to snag a 160gb classic before they disappeared and that proved to be wise indeed as I now have 140gb on it with no movies and 2 games!

If they were smart they would have one that really pushed the limits and went 256gb and let us use it as a picture storage/viewer to download camera cards on trips. That would ROCK! I fill up those cards with my RAW Nikon photos - having something other than a laptop to free up cards would be a godsend.

12. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

oh wow... I am thinking about this as well..

Since I am looking to buy during march, I can wait to see if there's gonna be a memory upgrade. I definitely hope there will be.. Currently looking at the 8gb model but I'm afraid that it will be insufficient.

A thread somewhere talked about refurbished ipod touch (2G) on the US apple store so I'm wondering when it will come to Australia. If it will, it would be lots cheaper =X. Not sure if refurb is good though.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Just get it now. Even if 64 GB version gets released they won't drop the price, they'll just sell it for 100$ more than 32 GB. Thats how it was with previous generating Touch - 16 GB was top of line and priced 400$ until in early Feb they added a 32 GB version for 500$.

Flash gets more expensive as you go higher in capacity so I very much doubt they will sell 64 for the price of 32.

14. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

well I just ordered the 32GB and can't wait to get my hands on that puppy!

15. syclick macrumors regular

That's right, the price of the 32GB didn't hit $399 until the 2G models came out.

16. CSilver macrumors 6502

I had the same problem like a month ago or so. I have decided to just wait until end of Feb and see what happens~ Feb is a short month anyway;)

17. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Just get one now, the new models came out and yes you could wait until fall to get the new version, but then you could say just wait until the next one and the next one. Just get it if you really want it.

18. Sapphire08 thread starter macrumors member

Sapphire08

Well I decided to go instore and have a look at one today - to which I found it was totally awesome and decided I have got to have one - went to the checkout and........no stock :eek: I can't beleive it - apparantly no stock locally for about 3 months now :eek: even the apple store hasn't got any they told me aarrgghhh

19. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

All the stores by me are sold out as well. Why do you think that is?

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Not too many people are willing to drop $1000+ on an iPod.

21. oliverdax40 macrumors newbie

Buy now!!!

Buy now or you missed the ride of the 2nd gen I advice you to buy now it's great !!!! and enjoy we have only 8g but if you have extra go for 16 it's fair enough byeeee..& enjoy!!!

22. blueglide macrumors member

blueglide

So I've decided to go ahead and get one. I got the 32GB and am wondering why I waiting so long! The apps are great!

23. Scattergood macrumors newbie

Touch camera and microphone?

I have a Touch 1G and am biding my time to upgrade. 2G has the speaker - that's one feature I've been waiting for.

I'm hoping the next Touch will include a camera and a microphone.

Anyone heard about these features? (I don't care about memory.)

24. pmcb macrumors member

im with you scattergood, got a 1g 8 gig for xmas 08 and have used it every day since. 8 gigs is enough for me, i mean how much music can you really listen to at once? when the 3g comes out i hope it's at least priced so i can afford it :eek: i remember when this one was purchased i think it was 300$. now theyre cheaper and have more storage. ouch.

25. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

Here's a possible deal: I recently purchased an iPod Touch 32GB 2G device at a Socal Costco for $377 before taxes. True it's not the cheapest price out there but with Costco you have 90 days if you decide to return it plus some technical support. I opted for this, in the event Apple refreshes the line.

So I say, get one now. And return if there's an upgrade :D