Good time to get leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by secretpact, Feb 15, 2008.

1. secretpact macrumors 6502

I'm still using Tiger and I was thinking about buying Leopard. But I keep reading people having problems on this forum. So the question is: Is it time to upgrade to Leopard yet?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, it's time. Since we're already at 10.5.2, you can expect that most, if not all, common bugs have been taken care of.

Keep in mind, the very nature of this forum means you'll see more negative comments than positive. In other words, the people who have bad experiences or are asking for help are simply going to be more vocal than those who are perfectly content.

3. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I've had leopard since it came out; no problems. Now is as good as time as any to upgrade. You'll love spaces!

4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I 2nd. that.

5. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Time Machine is great too. It saved my butt when I was making a short movie for a school project in iMovie once. :)

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if
    1. you apps have no known compatibility issue with leopard
    2. its only a matter of time for you

then go ahead.

a clean installation might be necessary

7. BullBoyKennels macrumors member

Tiger was simply amazing, but yes I too would recommend Leopard.

8. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'd say now is probably a good time to go ahead and get Leopard. 10.5.2 fixed a majority of the problems people were having. I actually haven't had a single problem with Leopard, except that Preview would crash every time I tried to adjust the picture color, which has since been fixed in 10.5.2.

9. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I agree, it is a lot more stable and has fixed a load of problems I was having.

10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Yes it is. Just make sure the retail disk you buy is 10.5.2. If for nothing else so you don't have to download and install that huge update after up upgrade to Leopard. :)

11. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I cloned Tiger to an external so I'd be able to revert back. However it was not needed and erased after about four weeks with Leopard.

12. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I've had Leopard since it's launch and I love it. I haven't had any real problems at all with it. Plus with it being 10.5.2 a lot of the bugs have been fixed. It now seems like a complete OS, not a rushed one like the launch may have been.

13. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I upgraded about two weeks ago and so far I'm really liking Leopard. Pretty much every major app is Leopard ready now so there really is no reason to wait.

14. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

My dad is planning on getting a Macbook Pro. Could I just use the Leopard install disc from that on my mac?

15. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

No you can't. The disks with that Mac are specific to that Mac and cannot be installed on others.

16. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

Are there still compatibility issues with certain programs and such? Will all the software that work perfectly with tiger be good for leopard too?

That's my main concern.

Thanks!

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I say go for it. You should be able to tell now if you will have any real compatibility issues. I was using PS7, and has to upgrade to CS3, which cost me more than leopard.

Leopard itself is working well. Loose ends with AirDisk, but that is an AEBS firmware issue...

I upgraded 6 machines, and haven't had any major issues...

18. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

The VAST majority of all programs are now working fine with Leopard. If you have a program you can't live without, visit the developers website to make sure it does work with Leopard.

19. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Go for it... upgrade!!

The only problem I've had was with the dock - it would restart every time I opened the download stack in grid view - but it was fixed with 10.5.2. I've had Leopard since it was released and that problem only started to happen a few week ago so I dunno what it was. Other than that there's been no other problems at all.

20. Buttercookie macrumors member

I'd like to say its time to upgrade. Leopard is awesome.

21. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I'll probably pick it up next week.

Looking at the screenshots, it looks like they've replaced the black arrows on the dock for open apps from Tiger with white orbs? Is there a way to change it back because it's kind of hard to see them (for me).

22. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Yeah you can mod the dock... make it 2D (like Tiger), change the colour, change the indicators, etc. I've made my dock glossy black so the orbs are bright and easy to see but not distracting. There's lots of threads outlining out to do it.

23. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

yeah... i've changed mine to a slightly less reflective black glass dock and replaced the orbs with arrows

Attached Files:

• dock.jpg
      dock.jpg
      File size:
      115.5 KB
      Views:
  24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Leopard is just as stable for me now on 10.5.2 as it was the day it came out as 10.5.0...can't tell a difference. anytime is good to get it

25. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I love Leopard- especially after the 10.5.2 graphics update.. I never had any of the issues that were being reported- but one thing was a bit of a hassle- Printing!! I have 2 HP printers, so I had to find the drivers, but other than that it's been great for me..