Good time to sell EDGE iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twodollars, Apr 18, 2009.

1. twodollars macrumors member

With the imminent release of a new iPhone this summer I'm wondering if now is the best time to sell my 4GB before a new model is announced. The prices for used 1st gen iPhones are still extremely strong and I think I can get nearly what I paid for it a over year later. I'm on prepaid (no credit when the phone came out, all carriers wanted $400+ deposit) but I can now switch to a contract.

Don't want to get rid of it now though if the price goes up after the new phone like what happened last year.

2. genmic macrumors regular

I'm going to be selling my alum. iPhone as well. Are you putting yours on Ebay?

I think I'm going to wait until I get my hands on the new one before selling... I'm dreading using the cheap motorola spare I have stashed away during the interim...

3. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Yes, ebay.

I just came back to northern Indiana for a short time from Colorado where ATT is great. Here it's fairly poor in the rural areas where I am so I have no reason to spend $85 a month and watch the value of the phone plummet in two months. I'd much rather use a $20 samsung and spend $30 on barebones service. Although two months might be all I could handle of that...

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

It probably is a good time to sell. I think they will lose value since they won't have some of the new 3.0 features and until it is released a lot of people who don't follow Apple's every move won't know.

However, I think I will just keep mine for app development and backup.

5. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

You shoulda sold it a long time ago. When the 3g model came out, i sold my edge iphone for 550 dollars on craigslist. Dont know how much you can get for them now.

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I kept my Edge iPhone after I bought the 3G and am very glad I did

I use it for the games and mp3 player

Has come in handy

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Umm, why arent u using your 3g for games and mp3 player? I have over 1000 songs on mine and at least 30 games.

8. steve10172 macrumors regular

I also kept mine.
    Use it for listening to music and have put in a "pay as you go" sim card and use it as second phone in places where I don`t want to carry my 3G phone.

9. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Mine will be my main phone until November. :D
    I'm happy with it. I'll keep mine to decorate my room / app development. :rolleyes:

10. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

I'm personally not sure if it is the right time to sell. For a person who wants an iPhone like yours, i think their aim would be because it is cheaper to buy, service is a bit cheaper with 3G, and that they like the iphone's original look.
    Also, I don't think you will totally get full value for it unless you are lucky and you have the phone in absolutely perfect condition.
    I gave my old iPhone to my father, and he loves it very much.
    Good luck! :)

11. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I bought it off a friend for $250 whenever the 3G came out. At the time I thought I would have to be on a contract all by myself, which would have been at least $80 on 2G and over $100 for 3G. However, a week later my boyfriend decided to get the 3G and another one of our friends so we now have a family plan and it is cheaper per-person. But I didn't have any reason to upgrade to the 3G, so i was just waiting for the new one.

12. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I'm getting a new iPhone this summer, but I want to keep my old one just in case something happens to the new one. If you're to loose the new one, it'll cost a lot of money to have it replaced... Probably more than you'll make on ebay.

13. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

14. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

15. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Put mine up, we'll see how it does on saturday.

16. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've seen 2Gs still sell on eBay (one in particular with a cracked screen) for $750. Seriously. I guess if its another person's money then they can bid whatever they want, but Jesus.

17. aok1975 macrumors 6502

The bidder wont pay. Its scammers that bid stuff up like that.

18. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Yah it's a scam. I had to put my dad's up twice because some guy didn't respond after winning.

In general I would put some restrictions on who can bid. Usually the people with 0 or 1 rep, or just joined are bad news.

19. iwhat??? macrumors member

I would sell it relatively soon (based on the theory a new version will come out soon). Just like supply and demand; once there is a huge dump of the EDGE phones on ebay when the next version is released, the EDGE supply goes up, and the demand and price fall.

If you are not confident a new version will come out soon, then you might want to keep it.

20. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'm likely going to sell my 3G when the next model comes out (depending on how good the improvements are), but I can't bring myself to do it pre-emptively and be without a phone. Not sure what I'll get for it, but the phone is in excellent condition. I'm really just hoping to offset the subsidy that AT&T won't give me on the new phone since I'm only a year into my contract. Maybe I can do even better than that.

21. bigchief macrumors 6502a

What's your hurry? Look on the AT&T 3G coverage map. A very tiny area of the U.S. has 3G coverage. There will still be many who only need a 2G iphone.

22. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

No so, I have 3G EVERYWHERE! GA, TN FL, CA everywhere my 3G has been as had 3G. But back on topic:

When I last looked about a month ago, on craigslist where several original EDGE aluminum iPhones for $150-$200. So, yeah, I wouldn't sell it cuz your gonna get raped. I'd just keep it has an iPod.

23. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

I think the main reason people still have to buy the 2G is to unlock it. 3G unlock still ain't perfect, unlike the 2G unlock which is really effortless and easy. That's the only reason I would (and did) buy a 2G iPhone.

24. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

It's pretty sad that ebay has turned out this way. Loads of scammers on there.

25. moniquetx macrumors member

I sold mine two weeks ago for $350 unlocked. I still like the aluminum more than the plastic.