Good Torrent app that doesn't crash in Snow Leopard?

nph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I have tried two apps and both crash in Snow Leopard, have to force quit etc.

Any app you can recommend?

Thanks

nph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Transmission stopped working and have to use force quite....

1ofthedavids

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I know transmission works, but takes quite a bit when closing down. uTorrent works as well. I've been using both. One thing I like from transmission is that it shows the bandwidth usage on the dock icon, but I like the uTorrent UI better.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Add another vote for µTorrent. Always worked great for me, beginning with Leopard and still works great in 10.6.1.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Transmission has a *well* documented bug that plagues a certain group of people it seems. Transmission will hang, beach ball, start working, then hang again, and repeat. Not sure what it is, but many people acknowledge that this happens, and it even happened to me constantly on my 15" MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. Fresh OS reinstalls, etc. Nothing could make transmission not choke.

But having said that, transmission is still great *if* it runs well on your system. Azureus is in second, and to me uTorrent comes in 3rd.

Lastly there is always the Opera browser that has torrenting built in.

Edit: I see a lot of votes for uTorrent, did they finally add the ability to select which files in the torrent you want to download? In the betas I tried this functionality was not in place, and it forced me to download every file even if I only wanted a few files from the torrent.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
+1 for utorrent.

@uberamd, you can select which files you want to skip with the right mouse click. You can set it to not start when opening, so you can first say which files you want, and then press the play button.

ceezy3000

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
The Valley!!
Transmission 1.75 works well for me. I like that it's in 64 bit :D utorrent is good too but there's some tweaking you have to do in the preferences for it to be as good as transmission

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Best Torrent Sl

The best one would be vuze! Its fast and it does all the detections for the ports and encryptions. I swear by it in both leo and sl.

Corrode

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Transmission ftw!

Encrypted outgoing, preferred encrypted dling, small, effective. Works for me. Slow shutdown sometimes.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I'm running into some trickiness with torrenting in general on my system.

It happened all of a sudden, but I can't seem to run any of the major clients without my entire machine freezing up.

Transmission & Azurus both do it after several minutes of running, and uTorrent causes it if my machine sits too long. As long as I'm actively doing something uTorrent doesn't crash, but if it sits too long it does. As an example, if I leave any of these clients running overnight or while I'm in class, I wake up to a machine that has completely frozen, requiring a restart.

Mind you I'm not getting KPs, just...a standstill.

I'm running 10.5.8 on an EFIX based machine. Also, I don't believe the non-macness of my machine is to blame. I've been running it for almost a year strong and never had this problem.

Suggestions?

ttopp

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
transmission is great.

pause all b4 closing it to make it quit faster.

also if it radom quits or starts to go slow ive found it to be one of the downloads i just pause each in turn to find the dodgy one..