Goodbye AT&T, Hello T-Mobile

mademan118

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
After running the numbers, T-Mobile offers the best pricing for two lines and getting a new iPhone 6+. No waiting on AT&T and my upgrade, and no more crazy charges. If you haven't done so, go check out t-mobile. I am leaving AT&T and I get a 24% discount and have Grandfathered Unlimited Data. Who else is pre-ordering from T-Mobile?

bryancee

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
After running the numbers, T-Mobile offers the best pricing for two lines and getting a new iPhone 6+. No waiting on AT&T and my upgrade, and no more crazy charges. If you haven't done so, go check out t-mobile. I am leaving AT&T and I get a 24% discount and have Grandfathered Unlimited Data. Who else is pre-ordering from T-Mobile?
Tmobile is def much cheaper but the service is awful where I live. Hopefully it all works out for you though!

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Goodbye coverage, hello no bars.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If T-Mobile offers comparable service to AT&T or Verizon in your area then it's always better to go with them. Cheaper and more perks. For some they are not able to go to T-Mobile due to coverage.

iOz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Goodbye coverage, hello no bars.
Just because t-mobile is not good in your area doesn't mean it isn't for someone else.
T-mobile has better coverage in my area than Att and offers truly unlimited data.
You get the service that works best for you.
And you don't have to slam someone else for it.
You really need to grow up.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Just because t-mobile is not good in your area doesn't mean it isn't for someone else.
T-mobile has better coverage in my area than Att and offers truly unlimited data.
And you don't have to slam someone else for it.
You really need to grow up.
No I don't. T-mobile sucks everywhere otherwise you wouldn't see so many people saying, even nicely, "I don't get coverage in my city but hope you do"

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
There are a number of reasons for going with T-Mobile:

Fantastic International call and data rates
Unlimited Data streaming of some music sites
no contract

However I'm dumping my unlimited AT&T for Consumer Cellular and buying the GSM no contract T-Mobile phone. Consumer Cellular for me is better because:

Uses AT&T Network (better than T-Mobile in my travels)
No contract. If you need to temporarily upgrade you can on the spot upgrade to more data or calls, then downgrade immediately when you don't need them.
Cheaper. 600 minutes, 1 GB is $40 a month vs $50 with T-Mobile (although T-Mobile has unlimited talk, throttles data after 1 GB)

Top Rated by Consumer Reports. And I can confirm this as I had to call AT&T, T-Mobile, and Consumer Cellular support today. Consumer Cellular was an order of magnitude better than AT&T and T-Mobile.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
There are a number of reasons for going with T-Mobile:

Fantastic International call and data rates
Unlimited Data streaming of some music sites
no contract

However I'm dumping my unlimited AT&T for Consumer Cellular and buying the GSM no contract T-Mobile phone. Consumer Cellular for me is better because:

Uses AT&T Network (better than T-Mobile in my travels)
No contract. If you need to temporarily upgrade you can on the spot upgrade to more data or calls, then downgrade immediately when you don't need them.
Cheaper. 600 minutes, 1 GB is $40 a month vs $50 with T-Mobile (although T-Mobile has unlimited talk, throttles data after 1 GB)

Top Rated by Consumer Reports. And I can confirm this as I had to call AT&T, T-Mobile, and Consumer Cellular support today. Consumer Cellular was an order of magnitude better than AT&T and T-Mobile.
They could have service for a $1 but would you be happy if they didn't provide adequate coverage in your area? Or even no coverage while you're in your house?

Goldfire

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I did the T-Mobile test drive a few weeks ago and consistently got both better coverage and better speeds. Voice was also noticeably clearer on T-Mobile than on AT&T. I'll be switching as well!

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
Right, in my area, T-Mobile's service is faster and just as reliable as any other carrier. It only matters what service works will in the user's area, and completely irrelevant what works well "nationwide".

I live in my city, not "nationwide". I couldn't care less if there's coverage out in places where I'll never traverse.

Chrigel

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
If you have good reception in your area go for it but in the SF Bay Area the service is horrible. I wouldn't switch to TMobile if they gave it to me for free.

Just my opinion.

Chrigel

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Ask yourself why they "have" to be cheaper than ATT or Verizon.......

You get what you pay for.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
If you have good reception in your area go for it but in the SF Bay Area the service is horrible.
My experience has been the complete opposite of yours, though I primarily use it at or around the Financial District.

Where do you use yours? Deep in St. Francis Woods or the beach near the outer Sunset?

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
Yeah... they're still bottom-feeders on the overall 1st Half Rootmetrics reports
Meaningless to an individual user. It is only relevant the level of service where one uses the phone, not the level of service nationwide.

If it works for me in area X, I don't care about what works better in areas B, C, D and Z. Or, if it doesn't work well for me in area X, it's irrelevant if the service works well for everyone else.

It only *matters* if the any service works where a person will actually use it. Again, I live in my city, not the nation.

Last edited:

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX