Goodbye, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anjaki

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2003
67
0
Berlin, Germany
I may only have been a member for a couple of years but I've been perusing these forums for a lot longer and the exchange that I had yesterday with edesignuk (here) set me thinking: at the rate I post it will be at least 15 years before I am entitled to an avatar, something that I do not think accurately reflects my input into this website.

What input you may ask, if I hardly ever post? Well, if I am correct in my thinking, this site is financed through the hits it receives and not through the number of postings an individual makes, if it were say 500 logins, I would not be writing this, and I would also have had an avatar within, at most, a 150 day period.

But as edesignuk has plainly made clear: " ...course, you're wasting your breath. It's been gone over, many, many times. Nothing is about to change.".

I find this very difficult to digest (particularly the tone), because it implies that even if my argumentation was correct, out of spite it would not even be considered. And if that is the case with this issue, I have no alternative but to believe that this, rather than being the exception, is in fact the rule with any criticism I or any others may level at MacRumours or anything else for that matter, be it right or wrong.

Now, I don't know what the other members are prepared to put up with, but I am not prepared to put up with this philistine attitude, because to condone it, is to lend credence to it.

But maybe this attitude of the moderators derives from the fact that they are some of the worst offenders when it comes off-topic micro postings.

I would cancel my membership immediately, if I could find the button, but in your infinite wisdom you appear to have forgotten one, or at least I can't find it, so I hereby request that the rule quoted by Mitthrawnuruodo:

".......This will get your account banned -- and get your IP banned from the forums and site where you won't even be able to load the site."

be implemented, for I no longer wish to be associated with this website.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
Throwing your toys out of the pram and storming off in a huff is no way to resolve disputes...
 

anjaki

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2003
67
0
Berlin, Germany
Blue Velvet said:
Throwing your toys out of the pram and storming off in a huff is no way to resolve disputes...
But that is just my point, it has been made perfectly clear that any dispute is unresolvable due to the like it or lump it attitude of the moderators, and so under the circumstances I'm voting with my feet.
 

jesse_james

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
13
0
As a professional lurker on this site I have to say edesignuk, in my humble opinion, was perhaps hastily. In a search for the perfectly happy utopian forum sometimes moderators can get a little trigger happy. The natural response for any poster to a comment being deleted is to repost, in some vain attempt to gain respectability.

I doubt anjaki you should leave over such a thing.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
You spammed. It was deleted. Get over it. Why does this have to be made in to such a big issue? :rolleyes:

Stop making out you're so hard done by because 4 posts were deleted. Your not the first it will happen to and you won't be the last. Most people seem to be able to deal with it though.

Bye.
 

jesse_james

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
13
0
edesignuk said:
You spammed. It was deleted. Get over it. Why does this have to be made in to such a big issue? :rolleyes:

Stop making out you're so hard done by because 4 posts were deleted. Your not the first it will happen to and you won't be the last. Most people seem to be able to deal with it though.

Bye.
Please do everyone a favor and type 'what is spam?' into google.
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
Seems like an over-reaction on both sides...

I didn't read the 4 posts before they were deleted but posting 4 times in a row isn't always frowned upon - so long as they're covering different things - tho naturally, consolidation is preferred from the reader's viewpoint let alone the mod's.

The 500 post to a 'tar has been the rule for a while - and it's been discussed several times about whether a time/post combination would be better, most recently a few months ago. Like Powerbook G5, is the 17" too big, iBook update threads, it's not surprising that the mods (and most of the readers) are tired of reading them - particulary when they're off topic in another thread. If you have a burning desire to change something, start a topic on it in the appropriate place as e suggested. Maybe e was a little blunt but I doubt it was anything personal.

Yeah sure, we're all guilty of OT posts but they're often the kind that don't encourage argument and so hijack the thread. If they do, then we'll all be told off by the mods.

Actually, have no idea why I bothered since I doubt you'll be back to check if you really were so disturbed...
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
jesse_james said:
Please do everyone a favor and type 'what is spam?' into google.
No thanks. I think I'll skip it.

I don't want to get it to arguments with everyone here. I deleted 4 posts made one after another which I deemed as spam. It was nothing personal against the poster. It's just what I and the others are here for.

I quite honestly can't believe what a HUGE deal you're making of this.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
anjaki said:
I find this very difficult to digest (particularly the tone), because it implies that even if my argumentation was correct, out of spite it would not even be considered. And if that is the case with this issue, I have no alternative but to believe that this, rather than being the exception, is in fact the rule with any criticism I or any others may level at MacRumours or anything else for that matter, be it right or wrong.
You can criticise all you like, and we will talk about why things are as they are, and possible ideas for changes. As I said in the thread you reference, if you have an issue post a thread in here to discuss it.

This still does not change the fact that you were taking another thread OT with "spamming" (yes, maybe not the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean).
 

jesse_james

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
13
0
edesignuk said:
Yes, of course, how silly of me. Not searching google for "what is spam?" makes me ignorant. My sincere apologies.
No... but not knowing what it is, does. Especially considering you claim to be some kind of authority on the matter.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
jesse_james said:
No... but not knowing what it is, does. Especially considering you claim to be some kind of authority on the matter.
We use the word "spam" very loosely, perhaps it might not be entirely the correct word, but there we go. I still don't see what the big problem is here. Someone else posted 4 OT posts in a row which got deleted. Nothing happened that requires this kind of reaction.

Good job everyone doesn't make such a HUGE deal whenever something gets deleted, we'd never hear the end of it :rolleyes:
 

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
2,064
0
l'Allemagne
have to agree with an overreaction concept from both sides...
it may be that "Spam" is not the right word, I would say "flood" as in IRC and still could be the wrong word but in the end we all know the meaning we look for.

Don't be so harsh.

Man sieht sich. :)
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
I think Anjaki was not spamming, but was just trying to be humorous. It was done in jest, so deleting all 4 posts was a little overboard. Maybe deleting the last three posts and adding a mod note to why it was deleted would have been "nicer".

No reason to get upset over a few deletions. I regularly get my posts deleted all the time by the mods. Don't take it personally. They are just doing their jobs.
 

jesse_james

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
13
0
edesignuk said:
We use the word "spam" very loosely, perhaps it might not be entirely the correct word, but there we go. I still don't see what the big problem is here. Someone else posted 4 OT posts in a row which got deleted. Nothing happened that requires this kind of reaction.

Good job everyone doesn't make such a HUGE deal whenever something gets deleted, we'd never hear the end of it :rolleyes:
Clearly the misjudgment by the user in this case doesn't constitute spam (or even the misrepresentation in which the term is meant to be viewed in regard to these forums).

The big problem here is plain and simple the tone of your explanations (post problem). Given the user has been a member for some time, and to my knowledge hasn't been a problem in the past, the issue could have been handled by deleting 3 of the posts and a mod edit to explain.

My 2 cents.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
jesse_james said:
The big problem here is plain and simple the tone of your explanations (post problem). Given the user has been a member for some time, and to my knowledge hasn't been a problem in the past, the issue could have been handled by deleting 3 of the posts and a mod edit to explain.
I'm sorry but I don't see any problem with the tone of anything. As an established member who has been around for sometime they should know full well that posting 4 times in a row is more than frowned upon when the content is not only OT, but "spam" or whatever you want to call it.

I'm not going to bend over backwards to make sure I'm "nice" about having to go round tidying up threads. This never even had to be an issue.

As we've been through before, there is no way I am going to leave an explanation for everything I do, and neither are any of the other mods.

Why are you even wanting to carry this on? It’s OVER. The toys have been thrown out the pram and he/she has left.

They're still quite welcome back of course, just stop moaning about nothing.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmmm...I'm sad you feel the way you feel, anjaki, although I respect edesignuk's position too.... Why is having an avatar so important to you anyway, though? There are lots of people here that people knew and liked and respected long before they got avatars. Everyone knew duff-man not only for his schtick, for instance, but for being really helpful to new Mac users, a long time before he got an avatar. In fact, we were just waiting for him to get one, so that we could see the duff-man character next to his name where it belonged. But we read his posts when it wasn't there.

Whether you post enough to get a 'tar or not is ultimately your decision...clearly my post rate is pretty high, considering I just switched a year and a half ago. But having one doesn't define your worth within the context of MR any more than it does within any other context. So whether or not you stay, I hope you don't keep thinking that way...
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,594
141
Bergen, Norway
Lacero said:
I think Anjaki was not spamming, but was just trying to be humorous. It was done in jest, so deleting all 4 posts was a little overboard. Maybe deleting the last three posts and adding a mod note to why it was deleted would have been "nicer".
I totally agree... I read the posts, and although it was clearly spamming (as this is understood in forum rules), but I too think it was a bit haysty to delete all four... maybe Lacero's idea would be a nice, and far from unreasonable, compromise...?

Because I also think anjaki's overreacting just a bit... no need to be that offended from posts being deleted...
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
I actually can't believe there's a thread on this topic. I was following the thread in question and not only was it the lamest attempt at humour in quite a while (and that's coming from me!), it also goes some way to showing what sort of a person you are anjaki. I'd say this thread should be waste-landed or something but I suppose it's a good reference to newbies so ironically it's probably the most help you've ever given anjaki in your example of how not to behave on a forum.

BTW, I've got a cousin who's three years old, she's given up spitting the dummy, hasn't done it for a good five weeks now. ;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.