Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jukes316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
Well I've been debating about taking it off because people said it feels good naked. I didn't really get a feel for it cause two seconds out the store there was a invisible shield stand selling it. So bam.

But today. I decide to do my normal wiping off of the screen and I feel it getting stuck. I look at it and my shield rolled down as I rolled it up.

:(

But the screen naked it actually really nice. Just scared of scratches now. Going to be extra extra careful.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
i had my invisible shield on mine after about a week, but before that i had a screen cover on the front and back, it does feel good naked, but personally i cannot relax without it being protected.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Screen protectors are not only unnecessary but ruins the beauty of the retina display.

I would agree they do ruin the retina display. But I would have to disagree with you about them being unnecessary. Screen protector keeps your screen scratch free so that later down the road the resale value is higher.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I took my invisible shield and case off last week and my phone feels so much better! I'm just careful and always keep it in a pouch if it's in my purse :)

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
Screen protectors are not only unnecessary but ruins the beauty of the retina display.
Hardly ruins the display at all, especially if you can put one on well.
I would agree they do ruin the retina display. But I would have to disagree with you about them being unnecessary. Screen protector keeps your screen scratch free so that later down the road the resale value is higher.

It's not even about resale value, it's just good knowing there are no scratches on your screen.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

IMHO, this advice is irresponsible.

This guy believed that story. Didn't work out so well for him. I inadvertently put a small scratch in my 3GS's screen before getting a screen protector on it too.

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Hey Jukes,
go SGP or PhantomSkinz. You won't make the terrible mistake again. Zagg are the worst...

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
Screen protectors ARE unnecessary if you simply always place the phone down with the back and don't keep any sharp objects in your pocket.
In observing these rules I never had the slightest nick on my screen in nearly 3 years of iPhone.

The Governor

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
Well I've been debating about taking it off because people said it feels good naked. I didn't really get a feel for it cause two seconds out the store there was a invisible shield stand selling it. So bam.

But today. I decide to do my normal wiping off of the screen and I feel it getting stuck. I look at it and my shield rolled down as I rolled it up.

:(

But the screen naked it actually really nice. Just scared of scratches now. Going to be extra extra careful.

Just an FYI, if you're interested you can get a new shield. All you have to do is register your first one, follow the on site options for replacing, 4 - 6 days later you get yourself a new one.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Hardly ruins the display at all, especially if you can put one on well.

It's not even about resale value, it's just good knowing there are no scratches on your screen.

I feel the same way. I wouldn't want scratches on my screen either. But being able to sell it for more later down the road is a plus.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Screen protectors ARE unnecessary if you simply always place the phone down with the back and don't keep any sharp objects in your pocket.
In observing these rules I never had the slightest nick on my screen in nearly 3 years of iPhone.

I don't think you realize how easy it is to scratch the iphone 4's glass.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
There are lots of good reasons to protect ones phone. How it's done is up to the owner. Why people choose to criticize is a reflection on them, not the owner of the phone.

jonjames

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2009
Hey Jukes,
go SGP or PhantomSkinz. You won't make the terrible mistake again. Zagg are the worst...

Seriously tho I had an invisible shield on my 3GS so I picked one up when I got my iPhone 4 on release day but it kept peeling back I got tired of it so I saw the phantomskinz website one day and they had a sale going on (25% off) so I bought a full body protector and am in love with this compared to the zagg I did have the zagg replaced via the warranty but probably won't use it, after all the phantomskinz came with a lifetime warranty as well

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A306)

There are plenty of screen protectors which do not interfere with the display. I have an sgp ultra clear and you cannot tell it's on the screen

namja

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
I don't think you realize how easy it is to scratch the iphone 4's glass.

Is the iPhone 4's glass worse than the 3GS's glass?

I've been carrying my 3GS naked for 13 months now. I'm not especially careful or anything. Zero scratches on the glass. The back and the chrome trim on the sides have some noticeable scratches, but the front glass is impeccable. I thought these things were nearly scratch-proof, no?

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
It just depends on how meticulous you are. If you don't pay that much attention to detail than you will be fine without a screen protector as you'll never notice it being scratched. For those who are really OCD though, they'll need a protector to rest their minds.

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Seriously tho I had an invisible shield on my 3GS so I picked one up when I got my iPhone 4 on release day but it kept peeling back I got tired of it so I saw the phantomskinz website one day and they had a sale going on (25% off) so I bought a full body protector and am in love with this compared to the zagg I did have the zagg replaced via the warranty but probably won't use it, after all the phantomskinz came with a lifetime warranty as well

I think even BSE are better than Zagg...
The only thing that is worth about Zagg is their marketing you gotta give that to them :D

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Hey Jukes,

My friend had PhantomSkinz and her phone was scratched underneath when she removed the skins after a year to resell the phone.

SGP though makes amazing skins, I had one and all my friends who had one really liked it. The orange peel effect isn't as obvious as the Zagg either.

I've heard really good thing about Power Support Crystal films too but have yet to try it.

rmastbro

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A306)

There are plenty of screen protectors which do not interfere with the display. I have an sgp ultra clear and you cannot tell it's on the screen

+1

I used to have the philosophy not to use a screen protector UNTIL I got my 1st major scratch on my screen (total accident). After the phone was replaced, I will ONLY use a screen protector only if it is one that does not interfere with the display like SGP or power support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.