Goodbye, iPhone 6.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by odedia, Jan 23, 2015.

1. odedia macrumors 65816

I bought an iPhone 6 2 months ago and gave the 5s to my wife.

Today I happened to play around with her phone after all those weeks. It simply felt WONDERFUL. The phone fit perfectly in my hands, I was able to reach every button, the text size was the same anyway so who cares about the screen size... It just felt right again.

I decided to let her have the 6 to see if she likes it. I hope she will, because it will be hard for me to use the big phone again.

I really hope Apple will put out a smaller version of the 6s like it was rumoured. Those of us who loved the original form factor feel rather left behind.

2. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

ITA - the iP5s is way too small for me but there are a sizable minority of people who like the smaller devices.

It would help if Apple didn't have such humongous bezels around the screen. They could pack a lot more screen real estate in their phones if they would design them better.

3. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I probably would have purchased a smaller 6 too, if it was available. I agree that the 5s is a great size.

4. odedia thread starter macrumors 65816

That's true. I had a Nokia lumia phone with a 4.7 screen and that one did NOT feel as big as the iPhone. Also, the 6 is extremely slippery. I never put a case on a phone so that's another issue for me.

We'll have to wait and see.

5. cynics macrumors G3

I have a 4S and a 6 and would gladly take the 6 in a 5/5S form factor. I really like the 4S size but prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio so the 5S would be perfect.

6. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

If she doesn't, I am sure you could sell the iP6 and use the proceeds to buy a mint condition used iP5s. Sometimes you can even find them on swappa with some AppleCare+ time remaining.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I also would love a 6 that was the size of the 5S.

8. BSben macrumors 6502a

The screen size thing is a difficult one, sometimes I wish I had a larger screen (my current main phone is a 5s), but sometimes when I use my second phone (4S) I really appreciate the ease of use with an even smaller screen. I am not sure that small screen users are a minority yet by the way.

9. odedia thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the only thing that I would miss on the iPhone 6 is the 60fps 1080p video recording.

Honestly, other than that there's nothing the 6 can do that the 5s can't. I don't have Apple Pay in my country (yet) so that's irrelevant. Bluetooth, TouchID, performance... they all feel pretty much the same.

10. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I don't see the 5s size coming back. While I have always thought Apple should have 3 form factors for the iPhone, I don't think the sales of the smaller phone will justify producing the a new iPhone 6s in that size.

----------

They are.

It was one thing when you had to leave the apple eco system to get a bigger screen, but now since users have the bigger screen options there was a mass exodus to the iPhone 6/6+.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Although I enjoyed using an iPhone 5 and loved the one-handed capability, not to mention pocketability, I couldn't go back to a phone that small now. Having owned a 6+ for a couple of months the i5/5S looks tiny now, ridiculously so. Whilst my 6+ is a tad too big and heavy, anything less than a 5" screen is a no-go for me now. How anyone can complain that a phone with a 4.7" screen is too big puzzles me somewhat.

12. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

Those of you who feel this way should be emailing Apple. Idk the proper department but I am sure you could find it somewhere on the website.

13. AppleGuruOne macrumors member

My wife has very small hands and she likes her 6, especially with the Apple leather case on it. She does not, however, like my 6 Plus. I think, like most people, that if she gave it a chance, within a couple of weeks she would love the Plus like I do.

Neither of them are really that big, it just takes an adjustment to get use to it.

14. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

Just got my 5S out, and it feels and looks really small. I wouldn't go back, but everyone has their own preferences. It would be good for some users if they offered a smaller version, but I can't see them producing three sizes.

15. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I found the older iPhones were to small for me. The iPhone 6 is a great size for me. I could go a little bigger with the screen size too, but no larger than 5".

16. Arcade macrumors regular

Arcade

I had made a deal with a friend of mine to give him my iPhone 6 and he would give me money & his iPhone 5s while I was at T-Mobile to trade in the 5s and get myself an iPhone 6+ I almost stood with the 5s it felt just right in the hands. Still decided to get the 6+ and I love it!

17. andyx3x macrumors 65816

They know this already. I read an article a month or two ago where some execs at Apple said they were surprised by the number of people who want to stay with a 4 inch iPhone. I think I'm one of them too.

18. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

It can't hurt to have more people let them know.

19. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

goodbye too for different reasons

I will be canceling my service with AT&T as soon as I get the T-Mobile mess sorted. And then selling my 6 to gazelle.

My poor judgment aside, iOS 8 in all of its forms has been an utter pain in the ass. Most importantly, I am starting to see serious health issues from using mobile devices, so it's a no brainer to go back to the flip phone for emergency calls and paying $40 less a month.

I am glad most folks are happy with their iDevices. I am grateful my health once again is making the final decision for me.

20. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Can you elaborate on your health issues and what that has to do with owning an iPhone?

Not attacking you, just really curious as some of us are more sensitive to electronic devices than others. . .

Thanks !

21. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

And what would these serious health issues be?

22. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Exactly I feel. My 6 Plus and iPad have pretty much replaced my laptop and all my heavy duty computing tasks (FCPX, etc) are handles on my Mac Pro. The bigger screen isn't for everyone and I hope that Apple brings it back next year because I do know quite a few 5s owners who do not care for the bigger displays.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well if text size was your only reason of getting a larger screen...

----------

Addiction :p

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Goodbye, iPhone 6.

I couldn't go any bigger than an iPhone 6 but when I get my wife's old iPhone 5 out of the drawer, it feels so small now. The Plus is completely impractical for my needs and was never even entertained as an upgrade option, and I think the 6 hits the sweet spot quite nicely.

I'm glad the OP has decided what he likes. He's in a minority of people, but there a good size of group with his preference. I doubt it's big enough for Apple to spend millions developing a smaller device for though. Let's hope the 5 and 5S allows another 10 years of use for these guys. To be honest I don't think it takes long to adjust between a 5 and 6. It's a big enough leap but my small hands have managed it and the size increase is not major in the pocket. We all have different preferences though. Enjoy :)

25. techspin macrumors 6502a

Who cares about the screen size? Enough people for them to change the size! I only hope they fix some of these qc issues, no matter what sizes the next phone comes in. I'm sure your wife will have no problem with the size increase. :D