Goodreader has iCloud support. OK, now what?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thelookingglass, Oct 11, 2011.

1. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Just installed the Goodreader update. Now there's an iCloud folder. But, OK. And? What can we do with this? I'm assuming if we put docs in this folder on our iPads, we can then see the docs on our iPhones. But, the problem is that we can't make changes to docs within Goodreader itself (other than PDF annotations), so what's the point of iCloud integration? Anyone care to weigh in?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I thought it would give Goodreader access to other files in iCloud, like Pages documents, but it appears they are not visible to Goodreader.

Just another file store I guess.

Still trying to understand the full value. Not really sure yet...

-t

3. Brammy macrumors 65816

Yeah, I had hoped I could access them on the iCloud.com site, but apparently not.

At least iCloud.com would make it easy to drag stuff to GoodReader at work.

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

It looks like I'll just to stick with Dropbox and QuickOffice. Well, and Goodreader also.

5. Brammy macrumors 65816

I'm holding off on complete damnation about this until tomorrow. It's possible that web access and the like won't be fully enabled until tomorrow.

6. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree. Let's hope. Ideally, one would be able to log in at iCloud.com and access all the iOS apps that are iCloud-enabled. I would never use Dropbox again if that were possible.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Not happening.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/10/how-icloud-works/

GoodReader App dev wouldn't have access to the Pages App dev folder.

This is 100% expected, iOS typical sandboxed, walled garden, isolated approach. That has both pros and cons.

8. Brammy macrumors 65816

Right.

Right now, I just see the iWork apps on the iCloud site. I'm hoping other iCloud-enabled apps will show up there as well, so I can access them from OS X without needing a dedicated app on OS X.

Frankly, I'm not holding out much hope for this at all.

9. Gary King macrumors 6502

Is GoodReader opening for you guys? After installing the latest update, the app crashes whenever I open it. From the looks of it, it seems like you guys have no problems opening the app up. However, some reviews on iTunes as well as on Twitter note that the latest update crashes the app as well. I wonder what the variable that determines this is?

Anyone know how I can downgrade the app (I have an older version backed up on my computer) without losing my files and settings?

10. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, but I could open a doc in Pages (or Docs To Go), make edits, then open that same doc in Goodreader and overwrite the existing file in the iCloud folder.

----------

I deleted the app and then reinstalled. Took care of the issue. But all my data was wiped when I did that, of course. Your best bet may be to contact the developer. Should be pretty responsive.

11. Brammy macrumors 65816

No. Because in this scenario you'd have multiple copies of the document, each in their own sandbox.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

To take advantage of the cloud feature of Goodreader for the iPad you will need GoodReader for the iPhone and visa versa.

13. Gary King macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've got gigs and gigs of PDF files in the app right now, and I know that deleting will remove those. Even if I wanted to downgrade to a previous version, it requires deleting the app from my device first, which would force me to delete the files.

I've already sent a message to the developer from the contact form on his website. Frankly, I bet he's swarmed with messages like my own, and so I'm doubtful that I'll receive a reply. My hope is that he'll put a message out on his website or Twitter account to indicate how to fix the problem, while we wait for him to put out a patch.

I suspect that the problem is that the update works on iPad 2 devices, not on iPad 1 devices, that's why half the people have problems while the other half does not.

14. Brammy macrumors 65816

try connecting your iPad to a computer and grabbing the PDFs via iTunes. Yeah, you'll probably need to deleted them, but at least you have a clean backup.

Have you tried rebooting? That tends to clear up a lot of problems with app launch crashes I have.

15. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, but at least I'd have docs synced among devices. Inelegant solution to an inelegant problem.

16. Gary King macrumors 6502

Yeah, already rebooted. And yeah, I figured my best bet was to connect to iTunes, use "Save" on all the files I have in GoodReader and put them on my desktop, reinstall GoodReader to a previous version, then restore my files. It'll take time, but it sounds like it will work. Thank goodness I happen to have an older version of the app in iTunes.

17. Brammy macrumors 65816

It might just need a clean install. I've had that happen with apps like Zino.

18. Gary King macrumors 6502

Either way, it's still a problem since I have to delete a few gigs of PDFs and put them back on the device.

19. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I assumed that it would use iCloud to sync across multiple goodreader apps...so you annotate a PDF on your iPad, and it shows up in that form in goodreader on your iPhone

20. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

This needs a desktop component to be any useful. I want to have full access to my documents on my desktop as well as mobile devices. Not just iPad/iPhone.

Dropbox (+GoodReader or ReaddleDocs) gives me exactly that. iCloud doesn't.

21. morsecp macrumors regular

morsecp

iCloud iOS-to-Mac sync? What sync?

Honestly, what good is that? I need to be able to add documents to iCloud while on my Mac and have them available to my iPad/iPhone. Very rarely do I need to transfer a pdf from my iPad to my iPhone and back. Also, the ability to update files in Goodreader and have them automatically updated on my Mac would be awesome. It is really lame that Apple seems to have crippled iCloud right out of the gate by hindering document syncing to the Mac, through iWork and third part apps alike.

22. redout macrumors member

Will a backup of the iPad before installing iOS 5 restore all saved annotated PDFs?

I wasnt sure if it would or not so ended up emailing like 50 annotated PDFs to myself just to be on the safe side!

23. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Yes, it will. The backup/upgrade/restore process takes quite a while, but at the end everything was restored on my iPad exactly as it was before the upgrade to iOS 5.

24. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

The TUAW article is not completely correct. For one thing other apps will be able to hook into iCloud just as Pages does. Apps will also be able to read data in your 5 GB data store. The app developers just haven't implemented it yet.
    All cloud services are isolated in that they have no reason to give you access to anything else.
    You can easily take your data out of iCloud and send it anywhere else you want.
    You can also use Google services and iCloud at the same time.

Doesn't sound isolated or walled garden to me. It's actually more open than most.