Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

google-photos-250x250.jpg
Google has emailed some users of Google Photos to inform them that some of their private videos were accidentally sent to strangers, reports 9to5Google.

The "technical issue" is said to have affected people who used the Google Takeout service to download their data between November 21 and November 25 last year. The problem resulted in a small number of users receiving videos in their archive that weren't theirs.

Google said that only 0.01 percent of Google Photos users attempting Takeouts were affected. But given that it has previously boasted of having over 1 billion Photos users, that number is still significant.

According to Google, the technical issue has been fixed and it has "conducted an in-depth analysis to help prevent this from ever happening again."

The tech giant apologized for the inconvenience caused to affected users and advised them to delete their last Takeout export, then perform another download of their Photos content.

Article Link: Google Admits Some Private Videos in Google Photos Were Sent to Strangers

madmin

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Google, Facebook, *******. Is there really any difference any more? :cool:

For a detailed answer to your question I suggest you read Shoshana Zuboff's well researched book, published last year by Profile Books Ltd.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Honestly, with all the alternatives, I don't get why people still use Google.
What is a good alternative to gmail that is free to use and comes with as much storage?
I agree, what alternatives? I work in a school district with 4,000+ students & staff. Non-free systems would get exceedingly expensive, as is the infrastructure needed for in-house e-mail systems. Plus, with the amount of services included (Email, Docs/Drive, Classroom, etc.), and how so many 3-rd party web sites have a "Log-in with Google" system, it's difficult to find an inexpensive and interconnected system to do all that.

Reactions: fairuz

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
I agree, what alternatives? I work in a school district with 4,000+ students & staff. Non-free systems would get exceedingly expensive, as is the infrastructure needed for in-house e-mail systems. Plus, with the amount of services included (Email, Docs/Drive, Classroom, etc.), and how so many 3-rd party web sites have a "Log-in with Google" system, it's difficult to find an inexpensive and interconnected system to do all that.
On top of that, Google has incredible uptime (exceeding five nines) and trust. I’ve tries hosting my own email on my little private home server. Its just not worth it. Missing one day of emails if it goes down could be very bad if those emails are important (ei, job hunting).

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
It's free in the sense that your data and profile pay for it. You have to weigh your privacy against the costs of a more secure system.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Shouldn't personal videos you store in the cloud be encrypted with your own encryption key/password, which should make this impossible? I know Apple encrypts things like this with iCloud; I'm surprised Google doesn't.

I guess this further cements my distrust in Google. Your stuff is in cleartext on their servers somewhere, ready to be mishandled at any time!

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
On top of that, Google has incredible uptime (exceeding five nines) and trust. I’ve tries hosting my own email on my little private home server. Its just not worth it. Missing one day of emails if it goes down could be very bad if those emails are important (ei, job hunting).

You don't need to go live in a forest host your own email, you can use service like Hover or other email services, they just not free. Hover costs me about $20 a year, it worth for me and I get standard IMAP without Gmail complexities.

comakut

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't personal videos you store in the cloud be encrypted with your own encryption key/password, which should make this impossible? I know Apple encrypts things like this with iCloud; I'm surprised Google doesn't.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't do end-to-end encryption for iCloud Drive, Photos and backups. They are afraid of upsetting the government.

To understand the behavior of these companies, look at how the incentives align for each of them. On the one hand, Apple wants to sell hardware, so it doesn't need to mine the customer's data. But because now they want to shift to "services" they are spamming customers in their apps to sign up for Arcade, Music, tv+ and so on. On the other hand, Apple is a big centralized company and therefore vulnerable to government pressure (US and China governments being the most obvious examples).

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
You don't need to go live in a forest host your own email, you can use service like Hover or other email services, they just not free. Hover costs me about $20 a year, it worth for me and I get standard IMAP without Gmail complexities.
Sure, and there are dozens of pay services that are even better than Hover. But Gmail isn't about just IMAP, there is really no debate that Gmail has the best webmail interface and one of the best, if not the best, spam filters. Nobody else, even paid services, come close in both of these areas. But in a way, Gmail users are paying too, except they pay by giving Google access to valuable data and by viewing ads.

The point is there really is no direct alternative to Gmail as @Crowbot suggested. Every alternative has some downside - a monetary cost and/or an inferior product.

Crowbot

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2018
NYC
What is a good alternative to gmail that is free to use and comes with as much storage?

I agree that the convenience and features of Google are tempting but, at the end of the day, security is the primary concern.

The issue here seems to be that data is bouncing around on all of the various Google services so a leak or inadvertent exposure is more likely.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
the Alpha Quadrant
So, this only affected those doing a takeout between Nov 21-25. Am I glad I didn't do a takeout between those dates! I can only imagine would it would be like getting GIGS (or more) of someone else's photos.

I moved from Google Photos years ago to iCloud (160GB of photos) - later pruned to 80GB after getting rid of duplicates and things I didn't want to keep (took years).

The older I get the more I realize that as these companies keep prioritizing profits over quality ... leaks like this will become more and more common. While it is nice having my photos easily accessible via my MacBook, iPhone, and iPad anywhere I am... is it worth the possible lack of privacy?

As far as email, I've moved to Fastmail and absolutely love it. Been using that for years with work, personal, gmail, all email I have (6-7 addresses).

One thing I wish iCloud had was sharing all my photos with my spouse. With Google Photos, I can set my spouse to have access to all my photos (and me hers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.