Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yep, I knew the takeout feature was going to cause an issue like this somewhere. Still Google's fault.

Last edited:

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
It's free in the sense that your data and profile pay for it. You have to weigh your privacy against the costs of a more secure system.
Gmail is probably more secure than anything you can pay for, and I'm less threatened by their data collection than whatever else might go on with more obscure services.
[automerge]1580886829[/automerge]
Never keep anything you wouldn't mind becoming public on the cloud. Instead, use small SSDs encrypted with Disk Utility, always keeping a backup off-site such as in a small security box at the bank. How often you rotate it depends on the data and how often you update it.
Well, that means you can only use Bitcoin or paper money as your currency.
[automerge]1580886968[/automerge]
I never thought I'd be saying this....

Except the 800-lb Gorilla gives away Office Online: https://products.office.com/en-us/free-office-online-for-the-web

And free E-mail: https://outlook.live.com/owa/

If you buy Office you get 1TB of OneDrive included.

The place I work went from Exchange/Outlook to Gmail. It sucks. The usability is horrible, the functionality is not that great and it's really not geared for large volumes of e-mail (no folders, only tags). It's not just me but a common complaint from lots of us of all age groups.

Google Docs are good for basic editing but they still need to work on more complex documents. I'd much rather use Office Online.
Microsoft supports certain business customers very well, but their stuff tends to be more complicated. I like gSuite, imperfect as it is. Gmail's web interface in particular is mildly bad across the board, so I use macOS Mail for it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.