Google Android growth outpacing the industry

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by maflynn, Apr 5, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like google's android is really starting to pick up steam
    cnet

The numbers for apple look a little disconcerting
    [​IMG]

Not surprising is that palm and MS are losing out and I don't see that trend ending for them. Hopefully apple can reverse the trend with their new OS that they'll be showing off later this week

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I would want to take a look to see what those numbers are saying when the new iPhone hits. Lets also not forgot that google phones are launching new phones to what seems like ever other month on a wide variety of carriers.

I hope MS and Palm die off. Never liked them and this is only my personnel opinion.

3. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

They'd better grow all they can before June rolls around.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the probably the weakness for apple. We have OS 4.0 being previewed this week and the last major update was last year. android based phones are being rolled at a faster pace then apple and they're in danger of being left behind if they're not careful.

5. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I suspect that the next iPhone will make a considerable difference, but still the iPhone is bigger than any one Android phone. The difference is is that Android has no unity pin hardware . It'd just software, but Apple should contend more with individual phones (ie Nexus One) than the disunited whole oaf Android, which it can beat only by tackling individual phones, something it is doing extremely well.
    Sent from my iPad!

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If Apple wants to stay dominant, they need to shorten their new product cycle for iPhones. This once a year **** won't cut it.

7. Silvereel macrumors 6502

They change their Phones constantly because they are so buggy and badly made, and they just want to flood the market. Apple makes quality products in the first place. Secondly I don't want to buy a phone and feel bad when one twice as powerful comes out three weeks later.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Agreed, they should be looking at a twice a year update cycle at the very least. A year between refreshes is a long time.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sigh. I was going to type a thought-out rebuttal, but then I asked rhetorically "What's the point?" Your logic is so fundamentally flawed it's obvious you wouldn't see reason if it was staring right back at you.

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, and may consumers disagree with that sentiment. If you look at the latest offerings from HTC, Moto, they're not flooding the market with buggy/badly made products. They are flooding the markets, but they're producing more innovative products then apple. That's why I agree with rdowns - the Nexus one has a gorgeous AMOLED screen, that's cutting edge. The droid as a much higher resolution then the iPhone.

If apple wants to stay on top they need to shorten the production cycle. Its not like they never did that before. When the iPod was king of the world, they were churning out updates quite often.

11. Silvereel macrumors 6502

Perhaps I should have added [/hyperbole] at the end of my post... certainly it isn't true that Android phones are buggy beyond use, or even beyond that of the average smartphone. But Apple shouldn't be aiming for average smartphone. Apple needs to be far beyond this. So what if the Nexus One has a pretty screen? It isn't nearly as accurate as the iPhone, but it isn't Apple qualify, either invsoftware, third party apps of hardware, no matter how pretty the screen izps or what kind of hLf tested new tech they stick in it.

12. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Welcome to the real world. Technology doesn't slow down due to the fact you want to feel you have the latest and greatest for a long period of time.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

apple does need to be careful here. we'll see what iPhone OS 4.0 brings to the table.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This iPad owner still loves my Droid! I believe there is a place in the market for 2 excellent mobile platforms. Android will continue to grow and the market share will be more evenly split as time goes on.

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I am constantly amazed at how you manage to come off so negative all the time. Cheer up and give polite a chance. :)

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Happens every spring when people hold off iPhone purchases for summer.

Um, good luck with THAT. Remember Droid and N1? N1 barely sold any phones. That's "fast" product cycle update for you.

17. belvdr macrumors 603

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's probably worth considering that (a) these kinds of analyses should be done at the same time of year to consider any seasonal variations (not that they'd be huge, but still, on principle, they should be comparing Feb 2010 to Feb 2009 and not Nov 2009), and more importantly, (b) a -0.1% market share change is not only fractional (and probably within the margin of measurement error), but it also represents a large increase in net users, given that, by the same analysts' figures, the smartphone market grew over 20% in that time period.

19. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

June is just around the corner.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is anyone honestly surprised that Android will reign supreme in market share in the future? Really?

That's what happens when you put a pretty damn good OS on MANY devices.

21. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Agreed. The schtick is getting old.

P-Worm

22. belvdr macrumors 603

Yep, all we can do is wait and see. Anything else is just speculation at this point.

23. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Let's hope for Google's sake that there won't be any Apple-Verizon deal. Not saying it'll change everything radically, but that it'll be the first time the iPhone will be on more than one carrier in the US. That might be a big deal.

24. belvdr macrumors 603

I'd be in line for an iPhone if it went to Verizon, as I'm not an AT&T fan when it comes to wireless coverage here in the sticks.