Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Let's hope for Google's sake that there won't be any Apple-Verizon deal. Not saying it'll change everything radically, but that it'll be the first time the iPhone will be on more than one carrier in the US. That might be a big deal.

If it pans out the same as other countries which have ended the single exclusive deal and opened up to multiple networks it will be a massive deal.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Looks like google's android is really starting to pick up steam
cnet

The numbers for apple look a little disconcerting
comscore.png

Not surprising is that palm and MS are losing out and I don't see that trend ending for them. Hopefully apple can reverse the trend with their new OS that they'll be showing off later this week

What do people expect ? Many of the people on Verizon are finally able to get an iPhone like phone. You will see the growth slow down as the Verizon market becomes saturated.

The only real questons are

1) How many can they sell before the Verizon market becomes saturated ?
2) Can they take away a significant amount of users from AT+T ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
What do people expect ? Many of the people on Verizon are finally able to get an iPhone like phone. You will see the growth slow down as the Verizon market becomes saturated.

The only real questons are

1) How many can they sell before the Verizon market becomes saturated ?
2) Can they take away a significant amount of users from AT+T ?

That's not entirely correct. Android isn't a Verizon phone, its a Verizon, T-Mobile, and ATT phone. We're not talking about how much one carrier can handle an iPhone like competitor but rather how can apple compete with one phone, one carrier when its biggest competitor is rolling out many phones on many carriers.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
That's not entirely correct. Android isn't a Verizon phone, its a Verizon, T-Mobile, and ATT phone. We're not talking about how much one carrier can handle an iPhone like competitor but rather how can apple compete with one phone, one carrier when its biggest competitor is rolling out many phones on many carriers.

That also shows why it might not be a good comparison showing marketshare of Google who is giving away their mobile OS to anyone who wants it, vs. Apple who basically has one model at a time and only on their own hardware.

Even if Android gets on every other phone that's available, it's not like the iPhone would be going away. Just like with PCs, Apple doesn't need to dominate to be successful.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So the question is, will apple be happy with a small percentage of the marketshare?

Given their dominant position they've held in the iPod, iTunes and iPhone market. I don't think they'll be happy to cede market share to google.

They cannot compete with google using the same tactics, but they can increase the outlets and distribution channels, i.e., more carriers. Adding another phone model may also help them as well.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So the question is, will apple be happy with a small percentage of the marketshare?

Given their dominant position they've held in the iPod, iTunes and iPhone market. I don't think they'll be happy to cede market share to google.

They cannot compete with google using the same tactics, but they can increase the outlets and distribution channels, i.e., more carriers. Adding another phone model may also help them as well.

Apple will just change their marketing. For example, like OSX Apps - Apple said
* "quantity doesn't matter. quality over quantity".
* For iPhone Apps they are saying - "look at the amount of applications for the phone", while the quality of iPhone apps is questionable ( of course there are gems, like just there are gems for other desktop / mobile OS platforms ).

Expect Apple to continue with the "app for everything".

I don't expect Apple to think they can become #1 smartphone platform. Apple cannot compete sales wise while they only have one model.

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
Perhaps I should have added [/hyperbole] at the end of my post... certainly it isn't true that Android phones are buggy beyond use, or even beyond that of the average smartphone. But Apple shouldn't be aiming for average smartphone. Apple needs to be far beyond this. So what if the Nexus One has a pretty screen? It isn't nearly as accurate as the iPhone, but it isn't Apple qualify, either invsoftware, third party apps of hardware, no matter how pretty the screen izps or what kind of hLf tested new tech they stick in it.

Are you telling me the average iPhone user needs a smartphone "far beyond this"? come on, 99% of iPhone users would be perfectly happy with a Nexus One. This is simply a case of brilliant marketing by Infinite Loop. :rolleyes:

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009

I predict Android will eat everyone's lunch in the next 2 years. Apple will stabilize at 25% but the market overall is growing and Android will get to 25 as well by 2012.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

*LTD* said:
The numbers say different. If the market is growing, and Apple only retains existing users, their market share diminishes and can likely lead users to an alternative.

June is just around the corner.

Eventually, Junes iPhone will grow old but HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung plus the many other handset manufacturers will have better Android phones out on a more regular, steady basis.

Remember, June doesn't last forever! ;)

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
Android is gonna eat RIM/Palm/MSFT lunch well before they start eating away at Apple marketshare.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I honestly think that both Android and the iPhone will live together quite comfortably. I know that some here would rather see the competition dead but i love choice. :)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Eventually, Junes iPhone will grow old but HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung plus the many other handset manufacturers will have better Android phones out on a more regular, steady basis.

They don't yet. Even after three years, Google's best still aint no iPhone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
They don't yet. Even after three years, Google's best still aint no iPhone.

You're right and many people are very happy its not an iPhone; multitasking, better notification system, better battery (that's removable too), better display

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.