Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Crap, that looks amazing! Hopefully the Apple can release something that nice with this new update coming out.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Looks amazing. Now how the hell is that of any use when AT&T can't even pull down the flat graphic map on 3G?

The network is the weakest link with all of these advances in mobile computing. Until that improves, none of this stuff matters.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If it looks good and the controls are intuitive, that's great.

If not, well, it's just a gimmick, then. Doesn't Bing Maps already have angled views? Personally, I hate them... they're really disorienting.

Looks amazing. Now how the hell is that of any use when AT&T can't even pull down the flat graphic map on 3G?

The network is the weakest link with all of these advances in mobile computing. Until that improves, none of this stuff matters.

I don't think this will require much more graphic data. Properly optimized, I don't think it would require any more data other than a few points defining the shape of the buildings.

Edit: UNLESS... what about rounded buildings? How many vertices does Google's auto generation thing need to make a shape with rounded edges? Or is it somehow smart enough to recognize rounded surfaces and store them in a way other than just a bunch of points that approximate it?

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Google Maps and general Linux is garbage, so anyone who thinks all platforms are committed believe everything they read.

Heck, Google Maps outside of a mobile device is something of an after thought in most individual lives. One's far more obsessed with direction when someone is trying to get somewhere.

Either way, once Apple integrates their Map system into iOS and OS X (even laptops could use it) Google Maps useage will drop heavily.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
It's a great time for those of us who love maps!!! Between this and what Apple likely has brewing, the next year or two is in for a giant leap in personal, mobile 3D map technology.

When you look at this stuff, you just get that feeling of, "We DO live in The Future!" :D

I actually viewed it as we are living in the past, and someday, people will look at this mapping technology and be glad they can study about us, but will also say, "Wow, what a ****** map."

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Sorry but I'd have to agree with others here that this really looked like a panic press release given the timing near WWDC and it not being available anytime soon.

Cause the iPhone 4 being misplaced and reported the day of the evo 4g announcement wasn't the same thing....

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Are you saying that Apple will ditch Tomtom, Navigon, etc?

Ah, no, you're only acting like you act always

None of these options will be pampered. They'll have to develop solutions that enhance iOS Maps and I'm sure they can dream up of new levels of vertical selling or they will get out of the business of providing such services.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Sorry but I'd have to agree with others here that this really looked like a panic press release given the timing near WWDC and it not being available anytime soon.

Agree. It's like somebody who just fell out of a tree saying "No, I'm good. I'm perfectly OK" as they limp away.

Or maybe they're trying to establish "prior art" so they can try suing Apple for copying 3D mapping or something dumb like that. They're down to just one patent out of all those thousands of obsolete patents they inherited from the Motorola Mobility acquisition.

They'll need more ammo. Soon. Beta ammo even. Just for the courtroom PR value if nothing else.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
NEWSFLASH: all business do things to try to trump their competitors

Google makes this presentation
Apple leaks parts the day of the SGIII comes out
Nintendo announces Wii U controller thingy in a pre-E3 conference before MS shows off SmartGlass

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
Think this is good news for all involved. Google may have tried to be seen as the first ones to start this project (maybe they were?), but regardless - the technology/experience is being improved which is great. The fact that Google are making their own iOS app offers a better choice for the platform if Apple are ditching Google's maps - and hopefully better than the native Google-powered app anyway since Apple hasn't thrown much development weight behind it so far. (Although, what Apple's got up its sleeve is yet to be seen.)

C

champ01

Less of Google, less of Facebook, less of Adobe

More of Apple, more of Apple, more of Apple.

Yep that sounds about right to me. :)

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Does anyone really care about 3D buildings? I really don't see the need/point of it. Not for a standard maps program. I could care less what the building looks like. I can see other uses for this technology, though (flight sims, as others have pointed out).

Yes. I care about 3D buildings. I see the need/point of it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Seems like a Win-Win for the consumer:

iOS users likely wind up with a better native Map/Nav app (assuming the limitation of the licensing deal with Google, restricted features)

iOS user wind up with a 3rd party app that’s better than the current (iOS <=5.x), and potentially better than the new iOS 6 Maps, if they exist :)

If iOS 6 gives developers a better inter-app communication protocol, a 3rd party app might be as “integrated” as a 1st party/native app too.

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Does anyone really care about 3D buildings? I really don't see the need/point of it. Not for a standard maps program. I could care less what the building looks like. I can see other uses for this technology, though (flight sims, as others have pointed out).

They're good for navigation. It's easier to know where to turn if your navigation device shows you buildings.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I think that Google was already working on this before the rumors of Apple's mapping services began to circulate.

I also think, however, that this event was triggered by said rumors. Without the possibility of Apple creating their own maps service, Google probably would have announced this new 3D technology the day it became available.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Siri, one of the least reliable and least useful Apple products of the decade, is going to single handedly defeat one of the world's most reliable and well-known search engines? Lol :D

Do you enjoy skimming posts?

You mock his reply as if he was talking about Siri as it is today.

He quite clearly said, and I quote:

"When Siri and semantic voice search comes to its full potential".

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
NEWSFLASH: all business do things to try to trump their competitors

Google makes this presentation
Apple leaks parts the day of the SGIII comes out
Nintendo announces Wii U controller thingy in a pre-E3 conference before MS shows off SmartGlass

NEWSFLASH:

It looks half-@ssed put together. If anything, they made themselves look desperate vs anything positive/else.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Those of us who'd prefer to use Google Maps better hope Apple doesn't decide to reject this presumed standalone app for "duplication of service" - something they've pulled numerous times before.

I like Apple's products a lot - and I strongly prefer iOS to Android - but the company has behaved rather capriciously at times.

ktappe

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
Wilmington, DE
Various thoughts

* I'm very glad Apple is pushing Google to improve its maps. As a long time user of Google Earth and Google Maps, I don't "have a dog in this fight" other than to hope competition = better maps for all of us.

* Google has a history of introducing great new technologies with half-baked interfaces. Witness how Google Earth & Google Maps each continue to have features the other lacks, which is frustrating if you're attempting to complete a mapping task that needs them both.

* Apple has a history of putting a great user front-end on complex back-end technologies. So I expect to see Apple's offering to be more "neato" than Google's

* Meanwhile, Apple also has a history of being very US-centric. It will not surprise me at all to see Apple's offering be "US-only" for the next year or two, leaving Google as the main solution for the other 80% of the world's users.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I like to put on the objective hat and look at any product independently...

And I must say the mapping efforts by Google have been extremely impressive, and this is no exception. Hopefully Apple sees the simple fact that Google has the map industry down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.