Google approaches 10 years old - thoughts...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by edesignuk, Sep 5, 2008.

?

What is your basic view of Google?

1. Positive [img]http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/BowDown.gif[/img]

55 vote(s)
    75.3%
  2. Negative [img]http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/DevilWink.gif[/img]

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. On the fence [img]http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/DogeyesSmall.gif[/img]

15 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Google has been becoming more and more a part of most peoples every day online lives. 10 years down the road, do you like what they've become and where they're heading?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I would like to see them improve. I tend to use different search engines, from Yahoo, MSN and several others besides google. My favorite died years ago, Northern Light. So, come on Google, dazzle me. :D

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Mostly positive but I voted "on the fence" because sometimes I think they're TOO good... it freaks me out.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Positive. I only ever use Google Search. Don't use their other services, except the odd mess around on Google Earth.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I voted positive - I don't like Google simply because I don't like to any one company get so big... (eg: look at Microsoft, Walmart, etc. It seems like certain things go with that territory) and that all your information is stored in one big, convenient place for Big Brother (I'm weird about that stuff after reading Mitnick's book and all those news items about 'lost' laptops, blah blah) - albeit Google is the only search I ever use... does that make me a hypocrite? :eek:

However, I say it's positive based on the fact that so far Google seems to be alright; They make a good product, it's all free (er, mostly), and really they've built their success in the face of the (at the time) giants in the field to do it their own way and make it work, and that the perceived value they've attained is amazing: eBay, Amazon, they're tangible because they sell physicial items - but Google has succeeded in building a HUGE company based almost entirely around information and intangibles.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I can spend literally hours on google earth. Just yesterday I found that I had spent 2 hours looking at the Australia outback. I should get a job in the military.

I regularly use google search, gmail, picasa, earth. Have the odd go at sketchup when looking into changing things around.

They have done some great things for the web and I hope they can bring out some more software. They are a bit hit and miss but when they hit it is great.

posted from chrome.

7. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Is it coincidence that Google and the iMac are both ten years old? Amazing to think that the seeds of success of two revolutionary events were planted at the same time.

8. Queso macrumors G4

As a Mac user 100% positive. Without Google we wouldn't have the mass adoption of standards that we're currently going through, meaning Microsoft would still have their format and technology lock-in on their users and Mac users would be locked-out.

And I know others including Apple have played their part with that, but without Google becoming so successful it never would have become quite so widespread.

9. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Is there another search engine apart from Google? I have been with it since the beginning, love gmail, and think that Google Earth is absolutely fantastic, I look at random things there - who needs to travel??

At the minute I am not too enamoured with Chrome though, it is like FireFox without the extensions (IMO), and I am not sure about the bare bones aspect of the look, it doesn't appeal to me - plus I don't see what it does better than FF.

10. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Google are impressive in that, like Apple, it simply works well and is easy to use. I have always liked the clear, uncluttered layout of their entry portal. Less than a decade ago, the university sector tended to use either Yahoo or Alta Vista (remember them?).

Yes, of course they are big (perhaps too big), but they are very good at what they do. However, I do wonder whether the inbuilt contradiction of their slogan "Do No Evil" can co-exist readily with seeking entry (and agreeing to restrictive conditions in order to be allowed operate there) in emerging and vastly profitable markets such as China.

Cheers and good luck

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks for those in-depth thoughts.

Yes, they are rather well off these days.

13. FoxInSox macrumors newbie

Just one more mile stone to make me feel old like MTV was.....but it's really the only one I use.:):)

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Am I the only one who initially misread the title as "Google approaches 10 year olds"?

That being said, I don't much care one way or the other. They do what they do well and are Mac-friendly.

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

WOW...has it been that long.

I remember...when yahoo was my staple.
    Now I don't use anything other than google. :\

I haven't voted yet...because I'm not sure where I stand.
    I think they've been great up till now...but where will the new google phone and google chrome put them.

Not sure as to whether this is good growth or not. :eek:

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have a total of 8 gmail addresses that I actively use, along with the calendar (4 of them) and google docs (about 20 folders with spreadsheets and pdfs), and will soon be using their video services. Deep down inside, I have to admit that I'm a little scared; if for some reason they disappear, I'm going to have a ton of work to do getting everything moved somewhere else.

17. jbucaran macrumors newbie

jbucaran

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I think Google search and Gmail are great, but I'm working on a web dev project and I am unfortunate enough to have to use Google Checkout as the shopping cart. I don't know if this program is still in beta, but it's one of the worst put together web apps I've seen in a long time. It's missing a lot of features a major shopping cart should have. So before using Google Checkout I would have rated positive, but now I'm on the fence...

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Positive.

Google is energizing the web. Good to see. Glad that Microsoft is not leading in this area.

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Initially used Google because of its simple interface (compare with Yahoo or Altavista at the time, blech!).

Generally it's still good but there are some searches that are near impossible to do, either because they involve generic phrases, or they'll run into every adword known to man and the result you want is buried in a Himalaya-load of adverts. There's certainly an opening for the next generation of search engine.

Google Maps I use a lot, for all its limitations. If Google disappeared tomorrow, that's probably the only thing I'd miss.

21. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hey, cool, how did you put picture on the poll options? Never knew you could do that!

I love Google at the moment, they are the best company around, and if they where to come out with a computer it would be the next one I buy.

Its not that I dont love Apple, but Google's approach to things is much more open and better then Apple's, and their products are always very cool and revolutionary. Chrome: fastest browser around at the moment! Google Maps: very famous, and very very cool! I already made a huge Google list on another post a few days ago so point doing another one...

Good luck, Google! :)

PS: Android is better than the iPhone! :p

22. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Stinkin' Windows user! :eek: :p

23. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

24. K3mp macrumors 6502

I like google. Gmail is awesome and earth is really cool.

25. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Positive.

I was using Google back when Ask Jeeves was the source.:rolleyes: