Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

googlemaps-250x250.jpg
Google is adding its Google Assistant feature to the Google Maps apps for iOS and Android, Google announced today.

The feature will be available on iPhones starting this afternoon, with Google planning to enable Assistant for Google Maps via an update that's rolling out "shortly."

On iOS and Android devices, Google Assistant will allow Google Maps users to control their navigation, reply to texts, and control music. On Android, it is also able to send messages through various messaging apps, a feature not available on iOS.

It can also do things like calculate your ETA so you can let friends and family know when you're set to arrive.

Google Assistant is already available on iOS devices through the dedicated Google Assistant app, but adding it into Maps makes it more readily accessible for the millions of people who already use the Google Maps app.

Article Link: Google Assistant Coming to Google Maps for iOS Today

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
Problem is , google search is default search engine for iPhones . You can change it . I’m sure many don’t know :(

Might as well allow choice of navigation. Or maybe Google did not want to pay $9 billion for that too.

I’m for removal of all google apps from iOS - but don’t like this , keeping some because google pays :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I hope this works with CarPlay. Apple Maps frequently gives me terrible directions.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
It's kinda funny, while a nice feature for Google maps (if you want assistant), now Google has your location and is adding what you're saying being actively monitored on iPhones via this app with this update.

Reactions: Jimmy James

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
I hope this works with CarPlay. Apple Maps frequently gives me terrible directions.
In case you didn’t know you can select the microphone screen-icon in CarPlay when using Google Maps for navigation. Of course it would be easier by just pressing the button on the steering wheel as it’s the case for Apple Maps.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
If my phone is connected to my car via Bluetooth, will having Assistant in Maps work the same as the JBL Link Drive and Anker Roav Bolt or will those provide any additional functionality?

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Problem is , google search is default search engine for iPhones . You can change it . I’m sure many don’t know :(

I’m for removal of all google apps from iOS - but don’t like this , keeping some because google pays :(

Google search isn’t an app...

Since the removal of YouTube & Google Maps, there are no Google apps preloaded on iPhone.

Reactions: thasan

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2014
When is the Apple Maps update coming out? It seems like Apple can’t compete with Google when it comes to maps software and AI.

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
If my phone is connected to my car via Bluetooth, will having Assistant in Maps work the same as the JBL Link Drive and Anker Roav Bolt or will those provide any additional functionality?

I had that exact same question. In theory, it should work since they are no restrictions with Carplay now that they allow for 3rd party maps.

I've tested the Google Assistant on iOS in my car by going directly to the app (plugged in for Carplay) and asking to navigate somewhere. It responded back "Ok" and then Google Maps popped up on the display with the route ready to go.

I plan on buying this device to test it out. If it works, it's a keeper. If not, it's going right back to Anker.

colburnr

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Took me a while to find it. The microphone icon appears when you are actually navigating to a destination. While it's a useful addition it still needs work.
I can’t find the microphone. I can see the microphone before I start navigating, but once I am navigating towards my destination, the microphone is nowhere to be found.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
Oh yay, more opportunities for Google to spy on me...

That said, recently I tried Apple Maps for the first time in years and it was pretty good. So I swapped app icons of Google Maps and Apple Maps so that my typical tap to open maps goes to Apple - and so far, it's good; no complaints.

Reactions: dreyp82 and thasan

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013

Might as well allow choice of navigation. Or maybe Google did not want to pay $9 billion for that too.

Apple pays billions to make Google the default search engine because it is the best search engine on the planet. By far. They give the most accurate, most relevant, and most meaningful results of any search engine out there. Good luck with Bing and Duck Duck Go!

Reactions: bernuli

m0dest

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Apple pays billions to make Google the default search engine because it is the best search engine on the planet. By far. They give the most accurate, most relevant, and most meaningful results of any search engine out there. Good luck with Bing and Duck Duck Go!

You have that backwards. Google pays Apple billions per year to be the default search engine on iOS.

But yeah, Google is a great search engine too.

Reactions: dreyp82 and BvizioN

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
You have that backwards. Google pays Apple billions per year to be the default search engine on iOS.

But yeah, Google is a great search engine too.

Yep, I can't believe someone thinks a company would pay billions to set a certain service as a default on it's own hardware!
[doublepost=1547017099][/doublepost]

Apple doesn't pay a dime. It is Google who pays billions to be a default search engine on almost billion iOS devices. Apple can choose whatever the f they want as a default on their own devices, they don't have to pay anyone. Google does profit more from iOS devices than Android devices, so you see they are not completely fool to pay Apple billions. Their search engine though is the best, so I wouldn't use any other anyway.

Last edited:

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
Reactions: dreyp82

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
I can’t find the microphone. I can see the microphone before I start navigating, but once I am navigating towards my destination, the microphone is nowhere to be found.
With most big releases it rolls out to devices slowly to ensure that there are no widespread issues. It can be annoying for people like me who are eager to try out new features. I’m sure your device will have it in a day or so. Can’t say the same for Microsoft’s iOS Outlook redesign.... a month and a half later and 3 App Store updates and still nothing.
[doublepost=1547052286][/doublepost]
With most big releases it rolls out to devices slowly to ensure that there are no widespread issues. It can be annoying for people like me who are eager to try out new features. I’m sure your device will have it in a day or so. Can’t say the same for Microsoft’s iOS Outlook redesign.... a month and a half later and 3 App Store updates and still nothing.
I just watched a Digital Trends video on YouTube talking about all the new features for the Google Assistant. In order to access the Google Assistant in Google Maps you must have the official Google Assistant App installed on your phone.

Reactions: dreyp82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.